Windows 10: Desktop scrambles Folder layout randomly

Discus and support Desktop scrambles Folder layout randomly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, thanks for having me Upon random occasions when I restart my computer, windows 10 decides to change the physical layout of my folders on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by python, Jan 28, 2018.

1. python Win User

Desktop scrambles Folder layout randomly

Hi there, thanks for having me

Upon random occasions when I restart my computer, windows 10 decides to change the physical layout of my folders on the desktop screen. (bunches them all together)

Wondering how to fix this?

:)

python, Jan 28, 2018
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Icons move from original position after sleep on Windows 10

"...but recently the icons that I have laid out in a certain way on both screens have been moved

all to the primary screen...

Note: The screens are at different resolutions. I don't know if this could be the issue, but I'm noting this just in case. "

This issue is not new to Win10, and both scenarios are likely to scramble your icon layout.

- When you disable one screen any icons that were on that screen which are in a different position, or

are not on the main screen will need to be displayed on the screen that has not been disabled.

This can scramble the icons both when using the one screen or when re-enabling the second screen.

- Changing resolution also tends to scramble the icons. Particularly if the aspect ratio is different

eg - from 16:9 to 4:3 and vice versa.

- The best fix for messed up icon layouts is to use a software that saves your icon layout so you can easily

re-load that layout when they get scrambled.

I use Desktop Restore. This is a lightweight programs that adds three options to your desktop context menu

- Save, restore and custom save/restore -

[ It only specifies previous Windows versions, but works on Win10 as well. ]

MIDIOX Desktop Restore (icons)

BossDweeb, Jan 28, 2018
  3. David Haz Win User
    desktop icons after Windows 10 Creators update

Windows 10 intelligently rearranges and scales desktop icons when you switch between different monitors and scaling settings, seeking to preserve your custom icon layout rather than scrambling them on the desktop. However, some settings are set to default
    after upgrading or updating. We suggest that you check the Sort by
    option when right-clicking the desktop.

David Haz, Jan 28, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

It does happen but I've seen it settle down after a few times. It must be kept in mind that the Desktop is Dynamic, not Static. Static would be like a picture hanging on the wall, Dynamic is always changing or redrawing/refreshing, is help in memory and when rebooting has to redraw it. The Windows developers seem to have a penchant for having a totally clean Desktop.

Berton, Jan 28, 2018
  5. Make sure Auto arrange icons option is not selected and place a check mark for Align icons to grid option.

Desktop scrambles Folder layout randomly [​IMG]

FreeBooter, Jan 28, 2018
  6. Callender Win User
    That should do it. Sometimes I just make use of third party software to backup desktop layout.

Desktop scrambles Folder layout randomly [​IMG]

There's a lot of softwares available to backup desktop icons layout. I can't really recommend any specific program.

Callender, Jan 28, 2018
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I've been using DesktopOK for years now. Small, simple and works great. Setup your Desktop then save the layout. DesktopOK will restore it on boot if you want and you can restore it any time it gets messed up. You can also save and select from multiple layouts.

Ztruker, Jan 29, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

This used to be an issue on older builds of Windows 10 but appears to be solved now. I do sometimes get the folders being rearranged when a new AMD GPU driver is installed.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop scrambles Folder layout randomly - Similar Threads - Desktop scrambles Folder

2. Folder layout.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder layout.: Hello!I can not make Windows 11 Professional to remember my opened folder layouts. By that I don't mean the view settings or sizes but its location on screen.What I'm trying to achieve is, I open folder A, move it to left bottom corner of my screen, then I open folder B and...
  3. Folder layout.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder layout.: Hello!I can not make Windows 11 Professional to remember my opened folder layouts. By that I don't mean the view settings or sizes but its location on screen.What I'm trying to achieve is, I open folder A, move it to left bottom corner of my screen, then I open folder B and...
  4. desktop layout randomly changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop layout randomly changed: When I woke up today, all my icons have grown despite the size scaling being untouched. it also spread the icons randomly all over the desktop for reference, my desktop had a lot of dead space and now there's maybe 1 spot without an icon....
  5. desktop layout randomly changed

desktop layout randomly changed: When I woke up today, all my icons have grown despite the size scaling being untouched. it also spread the icons randomly all over the desktop for reference, my desktop had a lot of dead space and now there's maybe 1 spot without an icon....
  6. Windows 11 - Scrambled Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Scrambled Desktop: Hi,after the last Edge upgrade, here is how my desktop looks like : https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akq35dIJf5n3hGUlfupV59hkUojy?e=ACWD9nHow can I get my taskbar back to where it was ? With all the menu buttons ?Thank you...
  7. Windows 11 - Scrambled Desktop

Windows 11 - Scrambled Desktop: Hi,after the last Edge upgrade, here is how my desktop looks like : https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akq35dIJf5n3hGUlfupV59hkUojy?e=ACWD9nHow can I get my taskbar back to where it was ? With all the menu buttons ?Thank you...
  8. desktop layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop layout: Microsoft support helped get windows 10 to update. When it completed my desktop has changed. I have visual problems and i can't find all the familiar items. The layout is different, the colors are very vibrant and hard for me to see. How can i get everything to go back the...
  9. Documents and Desktop got scrambled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Documents and Desktop got scrambled: So if i rightclick the desktop folder in the file explorer it shows the properties for the desktop folder. Then if i put a file in my desktop it also shows in my documents folder pls help idk how to fix this...
  10. Scrambled BSOD at random times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scrambled BSOD at random times: I randomly get a fuzzy, seemingly BSOD crash on mu new Windows 10 machine. Can someone please help me diagnose this issue? 119574