Windows 10: Desktop screen keeps flickering and is mostly nonresponsive

Discus and support Desktop screen keeps flickering and is mostly nonresponsive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My start button doesn't work on my desktop and there are no icons displaying and the screen flickers every few seconds. I have rebooted doesn't help,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bamwjj, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Bamwjj Win User

Desktop screen keeps flickering and is mostly nonresponsive

My start button doesn't work on my desktop and there are no icons displaying and the screen flickers every few seconds. I have rebooted doesn't help, what can I do

:)

Bamwjj, Feb 19, 2019
  2. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Feb 19, 2019
  3. screen flickering before booting to desktop

Hi,

This issue with flickering screen in Windows 10 could have happened due to incompatible or outdated driver. We suggest that you follow the steps provided in this

article
    to troubleshoot flickering screen.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Desktop screen keeps flickering and is mostly nonresponsive

Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Desktop screen keeps flickering and is mostly nonresponsive

1. Desktop screen keeps flickering and is mostly nonresponsive - Similar Threads - Desktop screen keeps

2. Most games keep crashing to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most games keep crashing to desktop: I recently bought a new PC, Ryzen 5 7600X, RTX 4070 and windows 11 however most of the higher end games such as GTA V, Overwatch 2 and a couple times with Baldurs gate 3 Which was blue screening , keep crashing, not immediately but after about 20 - 30 minutes of playing, I've...
  3. Most games keep crashing to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most games keep crashing to desktop: I recently bought a new PC, Ryzen 5 7600X, RTX 4070 and windows 11 however most of the higher end games such as GTA V, Overwatch 2 and a couple times with Baldurs gate 3 Which was blue screening , keep crashing, not immediately but after about 20 - 30 minutes of playing, I've...
  4. My laptop screen keeps flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop screen keeps flickering: My laptop display keeps flickering.It started while I was playing a game.When I connect my laptop to another display it works perfectly.What should I do now?...
  5. My laptop screen keeps flickering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop screen keeps flickering: My laptop display keeps flickering.It started while I was playing a game.When I connect my laptop to another display it works perfectly.What should I do now?...
  6. Screen keeps flickering whenever using some applications. Most apps run fine but a select...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen keeps flickering whenever using some applications. Most apps run fine but a select...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ThatBoySteven [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/zfxgvd/screen_keeps_flickering_whenever_using_some/
  7. When in most applications my mouse and screen flickers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When in most applications my mouse and screen flickers.: As it's said in the title, my mouse and screen flickers. In a game, it looks like lag. But it happens every 2 seconds or so. And after I close my game, my desktop icons have moved, almost as though I've changed TVs. I've looked at ways of fixing it, but nothing has so far...
  8. Desktop's Screen flickers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop's Screen flickers: I recently updated my PC to 2004 update and since then my screen is not stable and unable to do any work. Not even playing games. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktops-screen-flickers/8ec80193-93d5-496c-9cbc-69212b43658c
  9. Nonresponsive keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nonresponsive keys: The last few days my keyboard keys are not responding to every tap. Like right now every few letters or so require I press key down several times. It is maddening. I looked up keyboard settings and all options are off: sticky keys, toggle, on-screen, etc. Help please. 136184
  10. Nonresponsive keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Nonresponsive keys: The last few days my keyboard keys are not responding to every tap. Like right now every few letters or so require I press key down several times. It is maddening. I looked up keyboard settings and all options are off: sticky keys, toggle, on-screen, etc. Help please. 136184