Windows 10: Desktop screen replaced by a few of the icons that are available; many items on taskbar...

Discus and support Desktop screen replaced by a few of the icons that are available; many items on taskbar... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 with automatic updates on an Acer Aspire TC-780. The computer came with software that requires me to login after not using it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JudyKnight, May 14, 2020.

1. Desktop screen replaced by a few of the icons that are available; many items on taskbar...

I am running Windows 10 with automatic updates on an Acer Aspire TC-780. The computer came with software that requires me to login after not using it for a specified amount of time. I have had the computer for 2 years without a problem. This morning I came down and when I logged on only a few icons were there [representing installed functions/programs]. I tried hitting escape to get back to the previous desktop and nothing happened - the icons remained. I logged off and rebooted the computer - the Windows updates finished installing. This in itself was weird because the updates usually install automatically [as checked on the parameters] and, except for my getting updates of new things to install, I never know when the system will be updated. I run a Belarc Advisor summary every couple weeks to check on the system.

Not sure what happened or if it is connected to the updating. I use Firefox [also updated automatically], Avast, plus gmail, LibreOffice, Foxit PDF reader, amazon music and some genealogy programs. I did not use anything out of the ordinary yesterday so have not a clue what happened.

I also haven't a clue how to get back to the way the desktop looked. I can work around it and have pinned a few of the missing icons to my taskbar [including Avast].

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I remember from previous versions of 8.1 that you could restore to a previous [saved] point but apparently that is not a Windows 10 function as I cannot find it in the info for 10.

:)

JudyKnight, May 14, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 14, 2020
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    Problem with desktop icons

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue could be caused if the Desktop Icons are hidden.

1. May I know, if you are aware of any recent changes made to the system after which you are facing this issue?
    2. Which version and edition of Windows is installed on the computer?

I suggest you go through this articleShow, hide, or
    resize desktop icons
    follow the steps, if the icons are hidden, you should get it back.

If you want to pin any icon to desktop you can check

Pin apps and folders to the desktop or taskbar
    and you can easily access them from the desktop screen.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, May 14, 2020
  4. Darshan J Win User

Desktop screen replaced by a few of the icons that are available; many items on taskbar...

icon screen

Hi Richard,

To help you better provide us with the information below.

• Which build is currently running on your computer?
    • Did you make any recent software changes on your computer?

As an initial step I would suggest you Right click on Desktop Window> View > Check Shows desktop icons, check if the desktop icons are back on desktop.

Check if the Icons or files are available in the My Documents>Desktop folder, check if icons are visible in the folder.

Get back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance.

Darshan J, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Desktop screen replaced by a few of the icons that are available; many items on taskbar...

1. Desktop screen replaced by a few of the icons that are available; many items on taskbar... - Similar Threads - Desktop screen replaced

2. Widgets Not available in Windows 11 Taskbar items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widgets Not available in Windows 11 Taskbar items: Edition Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 21H2 Installed on ‎04-‎02-‎2022 OS build 22000.527 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.527.0 I have recently purchased a New Laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled in it.Unable to find Widgets in Windows 11...
  3. Widgets Not available in Windows 11 Taskbar items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Widgets Not available in Windows 11 Taskbar items: Edition Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 21H2 Installed on ‎04-‎02-‎2022 OS build 22000.527 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.527.0 I have recently purchased a New Laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled in it.Unable to find Widgets in Windows 11...
  4. Desktop New shortcut too many items

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop New shortcut too many items: Hi,After I have updated my laptop the desktop New is showing too many options. Like I have DOC document, Microsoft Word Macro-Enabled Document, DOCX Document... and so on I just want WORD DOCUMENT only.Could you guys please help me fix this issue. I have attached a photo to...
  5. Desktop Icons Replaced With Gradient Bar

Desktop Icons Replaced With Gradient Bar: Occasionally when starting my computer, it will display a gradient bar instead of the normal icons? I have tried a clean restart, and a safe boot and nothing seems to work. I have scanned multiple times with multiple scanners. [ATTACH]...
  6. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons Disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons Disappeared: So I started up my computer today and I noticed that all of the icons for my apps where missing on my desktop, and on my taskbar it just showed a generic image, except for mail which is showing just fine. I can still access all of the apps, and when I load up discord the...
  7. desktop and taskbar icons keep disappearing/getting replaced with missing icon image. cant...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    desktop and taskbar icons keep disappearing/getting replaced with missing icon image. cant...: Title says it all. My icons wont come back with cache rebuild or troubleshooting, ive scanned for viruses, i dont have any 3rd part applications that should mess with my icons. I simply cant work out whats happening and why. all the .icon files seem to still be in the icon...
  8. desktop icons replace not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    desktop icons replace not working: When changing desktop icons in windows 10, desired icon does not load https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-replace-not-working/cf863682-8c34-4108-a2b2-f4f03dccd57f
  9. size of icons and items on screen

size of icons and items on screen: how can I change the size of the icons on the taskbar and size of items on screen. I have already gone into the upper right corner of screen and used the zoom but it is not working properly....
  10. Delete desktop item but the icon stays

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete desktop item but the icon stays: Just that. I have several short cuts on the desktop, some of which are downloads. Once I have finished with the shortcut I delete it (I'm asked to confirm deletion) but the icon is still there. If I then try to delete it again I'm told that it doesn't exist or has moved....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows desktop replaced by weird taskbar and and no icons