Windows 10: Desktop sets itself to Sleep randomly every 1 to 2 weeks

Discus and support Desktop sets itself to Sleep randomly every 1 to 2 weeks in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A few months ago (Sept-Oct 2018) ... Every 1 to 2 weeks (random) my desktop sets itself to sleep in (1 Minute), even though I set it to (NEVER) sleep.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JackJonesCS, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Desktop sets itself to Sleep randomly every 1 to 2 weeks

A few months ago (Sept-Oct 2018) ...

Every 1 to 2 weeks (random) my desktop sets itself to sleep in (1 Minute), even though I set it to (NEVER) sleep.

I can see this in the Settings>System>Power & Sleep. The Screen setting is (Never) and so is the Sleep stetting (Never).

But randomly, it will set itself to Sleep (1 Minute) .. and I have to re-set it to (Never). Then it will stay that way for 1-2 weeks before resting itself to (1 minute).

I have checked Advanced Power Settings and all settings for Sleep are (Never).

Anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Thank you.

:)

JackJonesCS, Jan 9, 2019

2. Display and sleep settings

Hi,

In order to help you with the issue about the display and sleep settings, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by MVP Andre Da Costa? If you did, what were the results?
    • For us to avoid redundancy of the troubleshooting process, what were the other steps you have done to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your next post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jan 9, 2019
  3. windows 10 desktop keeps going to sleep after 1-2 minutes--regardless of power settings--please help!

windows 10 desktop-keeps going to sleep after 1-2 minutes regardless of power settings--please help!!!

GEORGEBARLOWXZ, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Desktop sets itself to Sleep randomly every 1 to 2 weeks

PC randomly goes to sleep

Hello Richard,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

To be able to understand the issue better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the make and model of the PC you are referring to? Because, power option settings are different for a desktop and a laptop.
    • Are you sure that you are not pressing any button that makes the computer to go to sleep when typing? There are some buttons positioned in such a way on the keyboard that just pressing it can cause it to function.
    • Did you check if similar issues occur when you log in to Windows using a different Local Administrator account?

Now please follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Try to delete/reset the existing power plans created in Windows, and check if it helps.

Note: The only power plans you can delete are the ones you create and those provided by the PC manufacturer—you can't delete the Balanced plan, or the plan that you're using.

Follow the below steps to first reset all the power plans in Windows and then create a new one to check if it makes any positive impact on the situation.

Step 1:

1. Press Windows key + X from the keyboard.

2. Choose Command prompt from the context menu.

3. In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
    and press Enter.

4. Exit command prompt.

Step 2:

Next, try to create a new Power Plan and check if it helps. Review the below Microsoft Help article.

Ref: Power plans: frequently asked questions

(Links relevant for Windows 8.1 also applies to Windows 10)

Method 2

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Follow the steps:

• Assuming that you are already logged on to your user account in Windows 10, click the Start button.
    • From the Start menu, click your name from the top of the left pane.
    • From the displayed options click Sign out.
    • From the login screen, click to the different user account you want to switch to.

However, if you do not have a separate Local user account, I suggest you to create another Local administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to sleep function in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Desktop sets itself to Sleep randomly every 1 to 2 weeks

1. Desktop sets itself to Sleep randomly every 1 to 2 weeks - Similar Threads - Desktop sets itself

2. Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Goes to Sleep in 1 to 2 Minutes Despite Settings: I have a Dell Latitude 9410 with Windows 10 Professional. For some reason my computer goes to sleep within 1 to 2 minutes despite my power and sleep settings set to 30 to 45 minutes. I've tried a number of suggestions from forums and sources including the items listed...
  3. Windows randomly restarts. Happens once every 1-2 weeks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows randomly restarts. Happens once every 1-2 weeks.: Windows randomly restarts every 1-2 weeks. Could you please help me find the issue?The event file says:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000119 0x0000000000000002, 0xffffffffc000000d, 0xfffff205525a7860, 0xffffe08d0e4ee4b0. A dump was saved in:...
  4. Windows randomly restarts. Happens once every 1-2 weeks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows randomly restarts. Happens once every 1-2 weeks.: Windows randomly restarts every 1-2 weeks. Could you please help me find the issue?The event file says:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000119 0x0000000000000002, 0xffffffffc000000d, 0xfffff205525a7860, 0xffffe08d0e4ee4b0. A dump was saved in:...
  5. Windows randomly restarts. Happens once every 1-2 weeks.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. System crashes 1-2 times a week

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System crashes 1-2 times a week: My Windows 10 system started crashing a few months ago. It crashes once or twice a week. I think it was around the time of some new VPN software Perimeter81 was installed.Here is a link to the crashdump file. Its in OneDrive. Let me know if its not...
  7. Desktop 1 + Desktop 2 taskbar setting issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop 1 + Desktop 2 taskbar setting issue: How do i unlock this taskbar setting for swtiching between desktops with separate icons? Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/overdrived_mind [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lza967/desktop_1_desktop_2_taskbar_setting_issue/
  8. My Desktop PC is locking itself every 1-2 mins

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Desktop PC is locking itself every 1-2 mins: I don't know why but in the last 2 days my PC has been repeatedly locking itself like I have some sleep or hibernate function on. I have every single one of them turned off. I even went into the registry to find a hidden one and turned that one off. It's still doing this and...
  9. Frequent BSODs every 1 or 2 weeks

Frequent BSODs every 1 or 2 weeks: So for the last few months, I've been seeing a pattern with my BSODs. It runs fine for a week or 2, then randomly, for maybe a day or 2, I will experience very frequent BSODs - it's a healthy mix of IRQL Not less or equal, Status Service Exception most frequent, Page fault in...
  10. Seemingly random ntoskrnl BSOD every 2-3 weeks

Seemingly random ntoskrnl BSOD every 2-3 weeks: Hello, hopefully someone here can clear up this mystery for me. I've had a stable system on my Ryzen 5 1600, but since installing the new Ryzen 5 3600 (no other components have changed) I've been getting seemingly random BSODs, about every two weeks (usually just browsing...