Windows 10: Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

Discus and support Desktop shortcut icons become white squares in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kayale, Sep 13, 2019.

1. kayale Win User

Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor.
    I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to be. Eventually- after a couple hours- the short-cuts return to normal. But this happens over and over. Can someone tell me how I can fix ts problem?

Thanks much-
    Nat

:)

kayale, Sep 13, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 13, 2019
  3. White squares on Desktop Icons

Hi Bob,

White squares on desktop icons normally happen due to a hardware issue. To better understand your concern, please answer the questions below:

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

2. Have you tried booting your computer into safe mode?

Regards.

Jenicel Dri, Sep 13, 2019
  4. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

1. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcut icons

2. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  3. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  4. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons are black squares

Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  6. white square box with earth on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    white square box with earth on desktop: [ATTACH]how do i make this go away? It goes away when I shut off computer, but then pops up again. i still have internet connection when it pops up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-square-box-with-earth-on-desktop/ec364dec-62dc-4cca-acc0-58a2ed549ad8
  7. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...
  8. Square line in desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Square line in desktop icons: Hello! I'm not sure if this is a bug or just an issue affect my PC, but every icon on my desktop has a square-shaped line on the bottom left. In the attached image, you can see Steam games, but it affects other shortcuts as well (I just tested with Word, for example). Is...
  9. Desktop icons with blank square

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with blank square: Installed W10 8 days ago Today after a restart some of my desktop icons have a white square in front of them I made the view on large icons , normaly i use smal then only the white square is showing I tryed an icon-cache-rebuild without success Solved by restoring a...
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. acer shortcuts icon are white