Windows 10: desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

Discus and support desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016.

1. ydaltak Win User

desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas?
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving [​IMG]

:)

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  2. Philo53 Win User

Desktop shortcut icons keep changing from arrow to nothing or other image on WIndows 10

Did that originally - not doing it again.

Philo53, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Philo53 Win User
    Desktop shortcut icons keep changing from arrow to nothing or other image on WIndows 10

I have the latest BIOS installed. I have the latest video card driver installed. Problem still persists.

Philo53, Aug 13, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

That's a new problem! Try clearing the icon cache by deleting hidden file iconcache.db from C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local and restart. Also try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt and restart.

Steve C, Aug 13, 2016
  5. ydaltak Win User
    i did the first thing you suggested (now i will watch what happens). but i don't understand the second one. what is an elevated command prompt? i am also unable to enter anything into the search box from the start menu. is that what you are referring to? any hints on how to fix that problem? it also showed up after getting the anniversary upgrade.

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Press the Windows Key and X together, then select Command Prompt (Admin). You will then get the Administrator Command Prompt / Elevated Command Prompt.

Then enter sfc /scannow which will check the integrity of your system files and fix them if needed.

Steve C, Aug 13, 2016
  7. MoxieMomma, Aug 13, 2016
  8. ydaltak Win User

i am the administrator on this computer. i get the message "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

i had made a new user account to check something suggested in another thread. i then deleted that account. but now when i boot up i have to put in my password. not cool. it shows 2 accounts with my name, one has my avatar the other does not. something funky is going on. want to make a quick trip to utah? LOL

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  9. ydaltak Win User
    tried it again. it's running now. slowly and surely.

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  10. ydaltak Win User
    integrity check ran and completed with no problems

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  11. Running a 3rd party shell?

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
  12. ydaltak Win User
    not sure what you mean. i'm using windows 10 start menu, not a 3rd party.

ydaltak, Aug 14, 2016
  13. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

I'm not used to seeing the things in your picture, that's why I asked

The box at the top (4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
    and the blue boxes at the bottom.

I'm going to guess that those might be sticky notes, but since I don't use Stickies, it's only a guess. I suppose I should bone up on features that I don't use.

Take a look at the bottom of the page, Similar Threads ... there might be something in one of those (I took a quick look, but nothing jumped out as a solution).

Please follow this tutorial to provide the current operating environment of your machine.
    Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Thanks

ESET security on Win10 created some issues. I believe those are fixed, but the issue might be on your system if you haven't updated the program.

I'm also wondering if you might have more than one desktop and might be switching (or Windows might be switching) the two.

One last guess - there have been reports if dpi settings are not 100% (usually 125% due to hi-res monitors).

I'll look at the Speccy when you post the link ... there might be something obvious.

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
  14. ydaltak Win User
    -boxes at the top are a calendar, boxes at the bottom are sticky notes
    -ESET NOD32 is updated
    -only using one desktop
    -dpi setting is 100%

ydaltak, Aug 14, 2016
  15. Thanks ... I got two right - Stickies & ESET *Wink

Ok, please check the following registry keys

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    execute the two command below - it's easiest if you copy both lines and right click to paste in the Command window

reg query HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1} /s
    reg query HKCR\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1} /s
    If InProcServer32 (default) is shell32.dll - then that's probably the cause
    if InProcServer32 (default) is windows.storage.dll - then something else is causing it

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

1. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving - Similar Threads - desktop shortcut icons

2. Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11: Every time i turn on my pc my desktop shortcuts keep rearranging and idk why. I have auto rearrange off so idk why it keeps on doing it and how to keep everything from moving....
  3. Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11: Every time i turn on my pc my desktop shortcuts keep rearranging and idk why. I have auto rearrange off so idk why it keeps on doing it and how to keep everything from moving....
  4. Desktop Icons keep changing place while I'm moving the icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons keep changing place while I'm moving the icons: I've never run into this before, but for some reason I just can't arrange my desktop icons because of this. Possibly because I recently got a 1440p monitor and am running dual monitor with that and a 1080p monitor? Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me crazy. Thanks!...
  5. Desktop Icon keep moving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon keep moving: My desktop icon keep moving and I unable to keep them still, I tried the method right- click then select desktop unable to select desktop * * [ATTACH] Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact...
  6. Desktop Icons keep moving

Desktop Icons keep moving: So this has been an ongoing problem for me for months at this point. Every time I restart or shut down my computer my desktop icons rearrange in a way that I did not set. I have gone through many of the common fixes and have had success temporarily fixing it through some...
  7. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  8. Desktop Icons Keep Moving

Desktop Icons Keep Moving: Hello, Every time my screen goes black, because it has been 15 minutes (screensaver setting) or I wake it from Sleep Mode, all of my icons are moved to the other side of the screen. I just find this really annoying to move them back to the order I had them. Is there a...
  9. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  10. Shortcut icons keep changing

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut icons keep changing: Shortcuts used to be indicated by a fairly unobtrusive arrow in the corner. A few days ago they changed to an overly visible white arrow in a green circle in the lower middle of the program icon. Then they changed to a gray X in the corner. Now they're back to the arrow in...