Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey my desktop shortcut and files are moving in a certain position(not sorted by any means, seems arbitrarily, but everytime the same position) and its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Logiaa77, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot

Hey my desktop shortcut and files are moving in a certain position(not sorted by any means, seems arbitrarily, but everytime the same position) and its driving me crazy. I already searched and found many thread on multiple sites, but nothing helped me.

As far as I can tell I think it has something to do with the differentiation of public desktop and user desktop. I didnt even know there was a difference, but I just want that my Icons stay where they are. Someone said that this behaviour could happen when someones playing with the directory settings "show hided files". I tried different settings on this but didnt worked. I already tried checking or unchecking sort settings on the context menu on the desktop.

Does someone know a solution to this?

submitted by /u/Logiaa77
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Logiaa77, Nov 20, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 20, 2020
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    NOTEPAD MAKE SHORTCUT TO FILE ON DESKTOP

Hi Anne,

There are several ways of creating or putting a shortcut on the Desktop. One of which is by using the
    Send to option.

Here are the steps on how to do it:

• Go to the file that you want to create as a shortcut on your Desktop.
    • Right-click on it.
    • Choose Send to, then click Desktop
      (create shortcut)
      as shown on the picture below.
      Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot c7f673a1-846f-471f-a1a3-92c5083b7816.png

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Nov 20, 2020
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot

Move Icon to Desktop

Hi Patricia,

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to move the Excel icon to your desktop?
    • Were there any changes made prior to this issue?

You can create an Excel desktop shortcut on your Windows 10 computer by referring to the steps provided in the article on this link.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot

1. Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts files

2. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.: I usually play games with my friends for example cs:go and I use 1280x1024 in game but normally I use 1920x1080 and one day after I shutdown my game I saw that all of my desktop icons have moved to places they shouldn't be in. I have tried to delete iconcache and it doesn't...
  3. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.: I usually play games with my friends for example cs:go and I use 1280x1024 in game but normally I use 1920x1080 and one day after I shutdown my game I saw that all of my desktop icons have moved to places they shouldn't be in. I have tried to delete iconcache and it doesn't...
  4. Desktop Icons have been moving around after reboot.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop items moving after reboot

Desktop items moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  6. Desktop icons moving after reboot

Desktop icons moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  7. Desktop items moving after reboot

Desktop items moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  8. Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar

Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar: I have regularly pinned desktop shortcut icons to my taskbar simply by dragging them there. Currently I have one otherwise ordinary desktop icon which refuses to even offer me the option of being pinned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution?...
  9. What's causing all of my shortcuts to move after a reboot?

What's causing all of my shortcuts to move after a reboot?: Something odd has happened on my machine the last few days. I have duel monitors. I like to have my shortcuts on my left monitor, which is my primary monitor. But now, in the last few days, whenever I restart my machine, when it comes back up all of the shortcuts move from...
  10. Can't move shortcuts on desktop...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move shortcuts on desktop...: After I install an application and it creates a shortcut on the desktop, I can't move the shortcut to another position. When I try to move it, I get a small slashed circle. What's up with that? 18020