Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My desktop links are failing to open. first one now three. Even program.exe file links do not work on those failed links. It seems something is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TimingGibbon8, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.

My desktop links are failing to open. first one now three. Even program.exe file links do not work on those failed links. It seems something is happening. The links are not associated with each other. This is a new computer running Windows 10. I already used Task Manager "run new Task" & cmd, it did scan and found nothing. The control panel's Powershell. this did not work. Errors running the command. Net is suggesting downloading "Restoro PC repair tool" Am afraid downloading anything I don't know.. Any suggestions that don't include re-installing Windows...

:)

TimingGibbon8, Aug 22, 2021

2. Shortcuts fail to launch the program

For a few days now every time I double click a shortcut the screen flashes off then back on and the program fails to start. If I right click the program and chose properties to look at the shortcut I get the same thing. When I do this with taskmanager open
    "Windows Problem Reporting" pops up for a second and then vanishes.

The only work around I came up with is to right click the short cut and Open the file location. When I click on the .exe file for program it launches just fine.

This happens with every shortcut whether it is on the desktop or in the start menu.

Thanks for any help.

AnthonyZer0, Aug 22, 2021
  3. No desktop shortcut for Crysis or Crysis Warhead after installation?

Precisely.

Go to the game directory. Right-click on the exe file there and select 'create shortcut'.

Then right click on the created file, select "cut".
    Go to the desktop, right click and select "paste". That should do it fine.

Black Panther, Aug 22, 2021
  4. Snixtor Win User

Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.

False positive for desktop shortcut scanner.lnk

The 1.239.488.0 virus / spyware definition update that rolled out about 24 hours ago appears to be producing a false positive for any shortcut placed on the desktop called "Scanner.lnk". I can consistently replicate a false positive for Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef
    with the following steps.

• Create a shortcut to an exe file.
    • Place the shortcut on the desktop.
    • Name the shortcut "Scanner".
    • Run "Quick Scan".
    I don't get the same result by directly scanning the file, nor by uploading the file to www.virustotal.com, so it would appear this is as a result of a heuristic rather than a file content analysis. I also don't get the same result with a shortcut that links
    to a website.

Can anyone else replicate? How can we go about getting the Windows Defender team to reconsider this heuristic? It's a bit heavy-handed.

Snixtor, Aug 22, 2021
Thema:

Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.

1. Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open. - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts program

2. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  3. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  4. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. .exe files not opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .exe files not opening: I Recently Got Rid Of Malware On My Windows 10 Laptop, But It Doesn't Let Me Open Any .exe Files Anymore. It Gives Me The Error "Windows can't open this type of file.exe". Does Anyone Know A Solution To This Problem?...
  6. Opening exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening exe file: I have upgraded my windows 7 laptop from windows 7 to 10 and now I cannot run exe file by clicking on it or clicking run as administrator , the file doesn't open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-exe-file/a23ad151-4dca-47b8-8bcd-a9e25a4b44dd
  7. Shortcuts fail to launch the program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts fail to launch the program: For a few days now every time I double click a shortcut the screen flashes off then back on and the program fails to start. If I right click the program and chose properties to look at the shortcut I get the same thing. When I do this with taskmanager open "Windows Problem...
  8. Program's exe file missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program's exe file missing: Hello, So I ran into this issue where a program I downloaded Photofiltre 7 is now missing it's executable. It does even if I uninstall and reinstall the program. The installation shows the exe file being created, but than, the shortcut for the exe is blank, and the exe file...
  9. Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop.

Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop.: This is an issue that has been asked about through various problems reported for years. The error is similar to this one: [ATTACH] Many answers include doing all sorts of utilitarian stuff. I must have looked at dozens of suggested solutions. And actually doing what the...
  10. some file like .exe are open in another program

some file like .exe are open in another program: hello i terminate the microsoft edge than my some application and file are open with other program plz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-file-like-exe-are-open-in-another-program/19f089c3-fae7-4ab8-884a-f1545359fbc0"