Windows 10: Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column

Discus and support Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Normally I download things to the desktop for easy access, but for the past few weeks I've been having this issue where every so often a file I save to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GNTSquid, Apr 2, 2019.

1. GNTSquid Win User

Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column

Normally I download things to the desktop for easy access, but for the past few weeks I've been having this issue where every so often a file I save to the desktop will appear in the "middle" of the first left most column of shortcut icons. This then shifts all icons below it downward, and if one is close enough its partially moved off screen behind the windows icon bottom right.

I'd like it so that when I save something to the desktop that file will automatically appear at the bottom of the colomn and if its at the bottom of the screen it saves at the top one column over. I hope i'm describing this to where it makes sense so searches havent helped. I can send screen shots if things still aren't clear.

This appears to happen randomly, not every file or shortcut does this.

Desktop View settings are set to Medium Icons, Align Icons to Grid, and Show Desktop Icons

:)

GNTSquid, Apr 2, 2019
  2. Jose Est Win User

Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop.

Hi Deividas,

Your concern is quite unique, were there changes made recently on your PC?

Have you tried playing with the view options for your desktop?

Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column a181d7f0-dae2-4ae2-ac03-1bd2ae0c70a5.jpg

Here are the steps you can try for you to be able to position your shortcut icons to your desired location on your desktop:

• Right-click on your desktop and hoover your mouse on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons and Align icons to grid.
    • Try putting your shortcut to your desired location on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jose Est, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    My desktop icons move to a grid on the left for no reason

Hello,

If your icons are aligned to a grid, this means that the settings of your desktop are currently auto arranged and automatically aligned. Since you want to rearrange your desktop icons on however you like them, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Right-click at a blank area on your desktop.
    • Hover on View.
    • In the right pane, look for Auto arrange icons. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.
    • Hover again on View.
    • This time, look for Align icons to grid. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.

After doing these steps, you'll be able to rearrange all your desktop icons again on how you want it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Apr 2, 2019
  4. Snixtor Win User

False positive for desktop shortcut scanner.lnk

The 1.239.488.0 virus / spyware definition update that rolled out about 24 hours ago appears to be producing a false positive for any shortcut placed on the desktop called "Scanner.lnk". I can consistently replicate a false positive for Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef
    with the following steps.

• Create a shortcut to an exe file.
    • Place the shortcut on the desktop.
    • Name the shortcut "Scanner".
    • Run "Quick Scan".
    I don't get the same result by directly scanning the file, nor by uploading the file to www.virustotal.com, so it would appear this is as a result of a heuristic rather than a file content analysis. I also don't get the same result with a shortcut that links
    to a website.

Can anyone else replicate? How can we go about getting the Windows Defender team to reconsider this heuristic? It's a bit heavy-handed.

Snixtor, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column - Similar Threads - Desktop Shortcuts Files

2. grid lines on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    grid lines on desktop: Grid lines have created 6 rectangles on my desktop. How do I remove them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grid-lines-on-desktop/857c4078-1996-4103-89d5-eb45a0cd5eb6
  3. grid lines on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    grid lines on desktop: Grid lines have created 6 rectangles on my desktop. How do I remove them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grid-lines-on-desktop/857c4078-1996-4103-89d5-eb45a0cd5eb6
  4. grid lines on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icon grid bugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icon grid bugged: [ATTACH] Alright so there is a spot on my second monitor where i cant place any icons basically the whole right border is unusable for icon space https://preview.redd.it/fo1l0qonicd61.png?width=504&format=png&auto=webp&s=a0c8770033bd4db01d6e5371f3cc631fc5042672...
  6. Program Files Are Being Placed in Documents File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Are Being Placed in Documents File: To say that Windows 10 is driving me crazy would be an understatement. Here's the latest problem: Program files (for instance, Winaero, are being saved to the Documents file. So are Windows Metrics. So is just about anything! What the heck? It seems I have no control over...
  7. place a shortcut on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    place a shortcut on the taskbar: I have a shortcut to "Adjust print options" on my desktop would like to place it on the taskbar, is it possible? 136002
  8. Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?: Hello, I have opened up a simple web page that I would like to save a Shortcut (or other Link to) so I can get to it very easily directly from my Desktop. The little icon to the left of the address seems to be a "lock", and I can't drag it anywhere. See: CubicSDR - The...
  9. desktop icons snap to grid

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons snap to grid: How do I change the setting that causes the desktop icons to snap to grid, so I can place them randomly? I have Windows 10 Home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-snap-to-grid/272125f9-7cd0-41eb-97ba-c20677f665ac
  10. Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop.: I have a strange problem, I can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop. That problem appeared after reinstalling my PC. I tried sfc /scannow but no results. [img] 86030