Windows 10: desktop shortcuts give me option to 'delete it' - not open it

Discus and support desktop shortcuts give me option to 'delete it' - not open it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good morning, This morning I went to open some of my Desktop shortcuts and instead of it opening the file or folder it gave me the option "Are you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 2harts4ever, Aug 19, 2016.

1. desktop shortcuts give me option to 'delete it' - not open it

Good morning,

This morning I went to open some of my Desktop shortcuts and instead of it opening the file or folder it gave me the option "Are you sure you want to move this shortcut to the recycle bin?"

After closing them all they finally settled down and would open the program or file I clicked on. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I am running Win 10 Home (x64) Build 14393 utilizing Edge as my Browser on an HP Pavilion All-in-one computer. I just updated to the Win 10 Anniversary update on August 5 and am wondering if this might have something to do with this shortcut change.

I ran my Windows Defender, Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes and all came up clean.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

:)

2harts4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how do i place an outlook 365 icon in my taskbar?

Hi Brenda,

Find Outlook on the alphabetical list on your Start Menu

Right click and choose More - Open File Location

Right click the file in the Folder Location and choose 'Pin to Taskbar'

If that option is not available, right click and choose 'Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut'

Then drag the Desktop shortcut onto your Taskbar and delete the Desktop Shortcut

DaveM121, Aug 19, 2016
  3. How do I make the desktop icons appear on the desktop?

When I try to put a shortcut on my desktop in Windows 7 from the start menu, it does not give me the option to "Send to Desktop:

PatriciaKeylon, Aug 19, 2016
  4. desktop shortcuts give me option to 'delete it' - not open it

You could run a fast HDD scan and ensure, that the shortcut service (TrkWks) is up and running.

Run CMD as admin and copy/paste, once it finishes the scan, restart.

sc config TrkWks start= auto
    net start TrkWks
    fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
    chkdsk /scan

TairikuOkami, Aug 19, 2016
  5. Morning TairikuOkami ,

I appreciate your fast response. *Smile I did as you suggested and once the scan was finished and it looked like everything was okay I restarted computer.

I remember that in the past I could go to the copy of the scan and read it. Any ideas of where this is located in Win 10?*Redface

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  6. Morning again TairikuOkami ,

Got it. Thanks for explaining how to find the Chkdsk scan results. As of now my Desktop shortcuts are working as desired (opening not deleting ...lol)

Thanks for your continued help and patience. I'll post back should the problem come back. Off to do some 'honey-do's'. Have a great day!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

desktop shortcuts give me option to 'delete it' - not open it

1. desktop shortcuts give me option to 'delete it' - not open it - Similar Threads - desktop shortcuts option

2. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  3. Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Shortcuts won't delete: I have some desktop shortcuts that won't delete when I right-click on them and select delete. I get the following error message: [ATTACH] I have tried to find these files using the command prompt and they don't show up when I use dir. I suspect the issue is because I have...
  4. My mouse will give me a list of option it will not open a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My mouse will give me a list of option it will not open a file: my mouse will not open a document it give me a list of option but my pen works thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-mouse-will-give-me-a-list-of-option-it-will-not/0c0ea5bf-b859-4879-85d3-72a7441a3f71
  5. Personalize Desktop Settings no longer giving me the option to select different backgrounds...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Personalize Desktop Settings no longer giving me the option to select different backgrounds...: Just what the title says. Used to be if I right clicked one of the options for wallpapers, it would give me options "Set as background for Monitor 1," "Set as background for Monitor 2," etc... But now I only get "Set as Desktop Background" and it applies to all monitors....
  6. Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts: I tried out the Task View that is built into Windows 10 to see if it would help me with separating my desktop view for the different tasks that I use my desktop for. Unfortunately it appears that it keeps the same Desktop but just organizes running applications. Outside of...
  7. Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop: Hi, I have a problem which seems minor but I think is major for me. I have two shortcuts of software that I have already uninstalled from my computer on my desktop. I wanted to delete them but it doesn't delete. I've tried right clicking it and delete, pressing the delete...
  8. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...
  9. JPGs won't open and default won't give me all options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPGs won't open and default won't give me all options: I am trying to open pictures from a sim card. They are in a JPG format. The default for pictures is a Window program, but instead of opening, it says that file format is not supported. I have adobe reader downloaded and wanted to try changing the default to that to see if...
  10. No shortcut option on right click desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    No shortcut option on right click desktop: Please can anyone help. I have upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When right clicking the desktop I only get the option under the "New" menu to crate a folder, no shortcut. Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks 15032