Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 displays in extended configuration windows 10 pro. 1080p display in 100% scaling and 4K display in 150% scaling. Auto arrange icons is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JaanusS, Feb 2, 2020.

1. JaanusS Win User

Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...

I have 2 displays in extended configuration windows 10 pro.

1080p display in 100% scaling and 4K display in 150% scaling.

Auto arrange icons is disabled.

The setup is new. Used to only have the 1080p display but I had the same issue a long time ago. I fixed it a while ago by editing some keys in registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration had a key for simulated display that I changed to match the 1080p settings I found under an other key.

Now that I added the second display, more keys appeared including a second key for simulated that was configured for 1024*768. I changed that according to the key that had 4k configuration. copied every key besides resolution too.

The icons on the 4K display still keep moving to the top left corner after I set it to be the main/primary display or after I play a game in a lower resolution than 4K. The 1080p display doesn't have that issue.

I installed a program called desktop restore. It adds an option to the desktop context menu to save and restore icon positions but its annoying to constantly have to use it and I'm bound to forget to save at some point or click save instead of restore.

:)

JaanusS, Feb 2, 2020
  2. Snixtor Win User

False positive for desktop shortcut scanner.lnk

The 1.239.488.0 virus / spyware definition update that rolled out about 24 hours ago appears to be producing a false positive for any shortcut placed on the desktop called "Scanner.lnk". I can consistently replicate a false positive for Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef
    with the following steps.

• Create a shortcut to an exe file.
    • Place the shortcut on the desktop.
    • Name the shortcut "Scanner".
    • Run "Quick Scan".
    I don't get the same result by directly scanning the file, nor by uploading the file to www.virustotal.com, so it would appear this is as a result of a heuristic rather than a file content analysis. I also don't get the same result with a shortcut that links
    to a website.

Can anyone else replicate? How can we go about getting the Windows Defender team to reconsider this heuristic? It's a bit heavy-handed.

Snixtor, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    URL change

No, I can't. I have just followed the steps you described and the URL did not change. Win10 Pro, 1809, Firefox.

I suggest you try deleting that bad shortcut and creating a new shortcut directly on the Desktop.

Bree, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching... - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts keep

2. Shortcut changing position after renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut changing position after renaming: I created a shortcut of a shortcut from google on the desktop so that I can change the target to a specific website of that google, but when I rename that new shortcut, I have to right-click to refresh because the new shortcut is replacing my current google shortcut...
  3. Shortcut changing position after renaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut changing position after renaming: I created a shortcut of a shortcut from google on the desktop so that I can change the target to a specific website of that google, but when I rename that new shortcut, I have to right-click to refresh because the new shortcut is replacing my current google shortcut...
  4. Shortcut changing position after renaming

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop shortcut pictures keep changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop shortcut pictures keep changing: All the shortcuts on my desktop except recycling bin have little pictures in the bottom left of their pictures. Sometimes its a green tick, sometimes its an X or a picture of two people, etc. I've stuck an example screenshot below.Every time I log on the little addon picture...
  6. Desktop shortcut pictures keep changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut pictures keep changing: All the shortcuts on my desktop except recycling bin have little pictures in the bottom left of their pictures. Sometimes its a green tick, sometimes its an X or a picture of two people, etc. I've stuck an example screenshot below.Every time I log on the little addon picture...
  7. Desktop shortcut pictures keep changing

8. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions: Hey, I recently updated my Windows 10 to 20H2. After this, all my desktop icons keep changing position whenever I refresh or restart my laptop. What's the permanent solution to this. I have tried options offered on other Windows' discussion fora without any positive...
  9. Desktop Icons changing position

Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  10. Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display

Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display: I am running Window 10 on my laptop. At the office I connect a 2nd display monitor. Whenever I disconnect from that display to work at home, all my icons move position. I have my laptop display set as primary. Is there a way to save the icon positions?...