Windows 10: Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor

Discus and support Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Whenever I try to open a desktop shortcut on my main monitor left, the program consistently appears on the wrong monitor right. I only have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by asmuscma, Dec 24, 2019.

1. asmuscma Win User

Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor

Hello,

Whenever I try to open a desktop shortcut on my main monitor left, the program consistently appears on the wrong monitor right. I only have this problem if I open the shortcut from the actual desktop, but not when I open the shortcut from the Desktop folder in Explorer.

Thank you.

:)

asmuscma, Dec 24, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Swapna S Win User
    Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Dec 24, 2019
  4. Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor

1. Desktop Shortcuts opening on the wrong monitor - Similar Threads - Desktop Shortcuts opening

2. Desktop Dual Monitor Issues / Desktop Apps Wrong Monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Dual Monitor Issues / Desktop Apps Wrong Monitor: Hi, just wanting to get some further help with an issue I'm having. Bit of backstory, so I sent my monitor away to be repaired and it came back today all fixed. But since getting it back today it thinks it's the main monitor as it has the desktop apps on the background? I've...
  3. Open programs moving to wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open programs moving to wrong monitor: I have three monitors plus my home theatre plugged into my computer. When I go to work I switch off monitors one and three, the home theatre is plugged in constantly and monitor two displays my security cameras. What's annoying is that lately not sure what update this started...
  4. Windows always opens on wrong monitor

Windows always opens on wrong monitor: Hello, I use 4 monitors, 1 is the internal laptop screen, 2 & 3 are external monitors and the fourth is a smart TV. I only use 3 of these when all are connected, the two externals and the TV. When all are connected the laptop screen is disconnected. Every day when I wake...
  5. Desktop Monitor & Shortcuts

Desktop Monitor & Shortcuts: How to resize a desktop monitor in windows 10? How to create shortcuts in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/desktop-monitor-shortcuts/c5f6581e-55cd-4adc-823d-aef54c57256e
  6. all desktop shortcut open trashcan

in Windows 10 Support
    all desktop shortcut open trashcan: Hi, I have recently bought and installed windows 10 in Lenovo computer since 2 weeks. On last Saturday, I figured when I just start up the windows 10 and double-clicked any shortcuts on desktop, it will open up the trashcan instead of the normal application and I cannot...
  7. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

in Browsers and Email
    Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.: Hello, Opera is my default browser. Recently my desktop shortcuts will not open. If I double click on BBC Home News for example I am taken to file:///C:/Users/Romeo/Desktop/BBC%20News%20-%20Home.URL. ( Not Home - BBC News. I just get a white page with a typewritten message...
  8. Shortcuts Moving to Wrong Monitor after shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcuts Moving to Wrong Monitor after shutdown: I have a dual monitor setup with Monitor 2 being the main display. It has my start bar and everything loads up to it by default but after I shut down the computer and start it back up all my shortcuts moved over to Monitor 1. This is a small inconvenience but I would like...
  9. Save dialogue opening on wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save dialogue opening on wrong monitor: I have two monitors and I'm using the GIMP image editor. When I open the save dialogue, it comes up on the second monitor which is not ideal. Is this a fault in GIMP or Windows? 91298
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut for Reliability Monitor?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Create Desktop Shortcut for Reliability Monitor?: Anyone know how to create a shortcut to the Reliability Monitor? 30385