Windows 10: Desktop Shortcuts Problems

Discus and support Desktop Shortcuts Problems in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am having issues with the files and shortcuts that I store on my desktop. If I save a file on my desktop or try to create a folder, I will not see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jbjohnstoniv, May 28, 2020.

1. Desktop Shortcuts Problems

I am having issues with the files and shortcuts that I store on my desktop. If I save a file on my desktop or try to create a folder, I will not see it on my desktop, but if I go to file explorer or restart, I can see the file then. I can also not refresh or delete or move files on my desktop, but if I sort the files the icons don't change, but then if I click on an icon, it will open a different file like the files did sort differently, but the visual did not change. Also, I have found that when I restart the computer, I can sort files and delete for about 10-15 seconds before the desktop changes to the above behavior. I have tried deleting the IconCache file a few times and restarting, but this doesn't fix the issue.

I'm running Windows 10 and have the latest windows update files.

:)

jbjohnstoniv, May 28, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 28, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, May 28, 2020
  4. Desktop Shortcuts Problems

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Shortcuts Problems

1. Desktop Shortcuts Problems - Similar Threads - Desktop Shortcuts Problems

2. Desktop Shortcut Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcut Problem: The following desktop shortcut used to work but now I am getting the following error ... THE DRIVE OR NETWORK CONNECTION THAT THE SHORTCUT 'TRILLION.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or the network resource is available, and then try...
  3. Desktop Shortcut Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Shortcut Problem: The following desktop shortcut used to work but now I am getting the following error ... THE DRIVE OR NETWORK CONNECTION THAT THE SHORTCUT 'TRILLION.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or the network resource is available, and then try...
  4. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers: Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL window to the desktop. I could then rename the shortcut as well as change the icon.Now when I drag the padlock to the...
  5. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers: Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL window to the desktop. I could then rename the shortcut as well as change the icon.Now when I drag the padlock to the...
  6. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Problem with desktop icon shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with desktop icon shortcuts.: Hello, since a half year ago I have been experiencing a strange behavior with desktop shortcuts. It is not a big problem, because it does not interrupt me to use my computer as always, it is just a bit disturbing when I notice it and it makes me think that my storage is...
  8. Quick acess Desktop shortcut problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick acess Desktop shortcut problem: So, I started to use Quick Acess and everything seemed ok. But the thing is that, the 'Desktop' shortcut isn't showing my own desktop. It's only showing my program/games icons. Can you guys help me? Right now, it looks like this: [img] But it should look like this: [img]...
  9. Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop: It has always been easy to create a shortcut to a URL on the Windows desktop using the following procedure: 1. Copy the URL from the browser address bar 2. Use the mouse context menu on the desktop 3. Choose New> Shortcut from the menu 4. Paste the URL into the field...
  10. Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem?: I have folders on my desktop (windows 10 1709) that contain shortcut icons to all my programs and games. after starting windows and opening a folder with these shortcuts, windows has to re-draw all the shortcuts, this happens in every folder and can take some time to...