Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Does anyone create shortcuts on the desktop to any of the modern store apps? I know how to do it. Run ... Shell:appsFolder and then right click drag... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scottyboy99, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small

Does anyone create shortcuts on the desktop to any of the modern store apps? I know how to do it. Run ... Shell:appsFolder and then right click drag onto desktop to create the shortcut. I had a few of these setup for things like Amazon Prime and Xbox app. All looking good. Then after many months the icons (for only) the modern apps went funny. Really small within the icon box. I tried deleting them and then re dragging them. But they remain really tiny. I get that maybe modern store apps arent really designed to be dragged as shortcuts and are very taskbar/start menu centric but it puzzles me why they looked good before and all of a sudden are now tiny. The Xbox x is barely visible within its green icon box for example. Anyone do this and/or notice the same?

cheers, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Oct 4, 2020
  2. Antilope Win User

Windows 10 TP Modern Desktop Shortcuts

Here's how I add a Desktop Icon:

For Tiles:

You can drag a Program Tile to the Desktop and it will change to a Desktop shortcut icon (hold down left mouse button on tile icon and drag tile icon, release button when over the Desktop) .

For apps on the Apps list:

You can drag an App Icon from the Apps list to the Desktop and it will change to a Desktop shortcut icon (hold down left mouse button on App icon and drag App icon, release button when over the Desktop) .

The original Tile or App list icon stays in place, and a shortcut copy is dragged to the Desktop. You can also drag Tiles or Apps list icons directly to the Task bar in the same way.

Some of the Desktop icons created in this way are small and lack color. You can also fix this, right click on the Desktop icon, select Properties, then select the Change Icon button. Choose a new, larger, more colorful icon.

Antilope, Oct 4, 2020
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small

Icons for app shortcuts are small

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons on your PC, as they are looking too small. For further clarity, please respond to the questions below:

1. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?
    2. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. How did you create the shortcuts of the applications on the desktop?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try updating the display drivers and check if that helps. Refer the article

Update drivers in Windows 10
    . You can also try updating the drivers by downloading them from the manufacturer website.

If the above method doesn’t work, please try the next method.

Method 2:

Try rebuilding the icon cache and check if that helps. Follow the steps mentioned below to clear icon cache.

1. Press Windows + E key on the keyboard to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Now click on View tab and
      check the box
      next to Hidden items.
    3. Navigate to the location: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local

Note:
      Where UserName is the user account name which you are logged into.
    4. Locate IconCache.db file and right click on it.
    5. Now click on Delete and click on
      Yes
    6. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small

1. Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts modern

2. apps are opening too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    apps are opening too small: What has changed? Graphic design software and others are too small to see-- I am visually impaired. I went to>System. >Display, >increased text size. OK on browser, some programs like email but have lost others. This began 5/20/23....
  3. apps are opening too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    apps are opening too small: What has changed? Graphic design software and others are too small to see-- I am visually impaired. I went to>System. >Display, >increased text size. OK on browser, some programs like email but have lost others. This began 5/20/23....
  4. URL shortcut icons appear too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URL shortcut icons appear too small: I have a bunch of shortcuts for games that I want to display as "very large". The problem is that they display too small. Some of them do this, but not all of them. It's quite strange. The only shortcut that I didn't replace with a custom icon is Loop Hero, although that...
  5. URL shortcut icons appear too small

URL shortcut icons appear too small: I have a bunch of shortcuts for games that I want to display as "very large". The problem is that they display too small. Some of them do this, but not all of them. It's quite strange. The only shortcut that I didn't replace with a custom icon is Loop Hero, although that...
  6. URL shortcut icons appear too small

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows desktop app icon “Photo” too small

Windows desktop app icon “Photo” too small: [IMG][IMG]I just purchased a surface pro 7 a week ago and its fully up to date with the only new software being the Krita digital art app and office. Very few other app installations from the store. I opened the laptop up today after not using it for a few days and the Edge...
  8. Icons for app shortcuts are small

Icons for app shortcuts are small: [ATTACH] So, this has happened with my apps, it happened a couple months ago, i've looked up and watched way too many youtube videos of people trying to fix everything but this problem. If you know how to revert it back to normal, please help a girl out:) thanks!...
  9. App photos (?) are too small

App photos (?) are too small: [ATTACH] So, this has happened with my apps, it happened a couple months ago, i've looked up and watched way too many youtube videos of people trying to fix everything but this problem. If you know how to revert it back to normal, please help a girl out:) thanks!...
  10. Fullscreen shortcuts for modern apps?

Fullscreen shortcuts for modern apps?: Is there a shortcut to fullscreen apps such as Netflix, Hulu, the windows video player? windows key+up does not work for me on these particular types of apps. 20591