Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts to web sites no longer work.

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts to web sites no longer work. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have several of these shortcuts created in the Google browser, one to Ten forums, a couple to my email accounts, etc. A couple of days ago they... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Syncopator, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Desktop shortcuts to web sites no longer work.

I have several of these shortcuts created in the Google browser, one to Ten forums, a couple to my email accounts, etc.

A couple of days ago they stopped working. They just open the browser, so I have to type in the required url in the search bar.

Having done that I can then create a new shortcut which works fine.

What may have caused that?

I can't see how to create shortcuts in Firefox - is it possible?

:)

Syncopator, Jul 5, 2019

2. How to save a web site as a shortcut on my Desktop with Windows 10

I used to be able to save any web site on my Desktop as a shortcut by right clicking and highlighting Shortcut. But now with the new Windows 10, this does NOT work. Is there any way I can save a web site as a shortcut to my Desktop with Windows 10?
    If not, how do I get one of the older versions of Windows back on my computer and get rid of Windows 10? Also, the shortcuts on my Desktop do NOT work with Windows 10.

DarleneLyndes, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Adding shortcut to desktop from web page

Hi,

Please let us know, which browser are you using to do so?

Follow the steps below to create shortcuts of websites on the Desktop:

• When you are viewing a website, right click on the web page and select the Create Shortcut option. The shortcut will be placed on the Desktop.
    • You can also right click the Desktop and select New/Shortcut. In the Location Box, paste the URL to the website.
    • Click Next and Name the shortcut and Click Finish.
    • You can also drag the Icon at the left end of the Address Bar and drop it on the Desktop, when viewing a website to create a shortcut.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Desktop shortcuts to web sites no longer work.

How to save a web site as a shortcut on my Desktop with Windows 10

Hi Darlene,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Select the link which you want to create as shortcut.
    • Right click” on the desktop screen.
    • Select the option “New”.
    • Click on “shortcut”.
    • Paste the link in the “search bar”.
    • Click on “Next”.
    • Enter the name” for the shortcut.
    • Click on the “finish”.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Desktop shortcuts to web sites no longer work.

1. Desktop shortcuts to web sites no longer work. - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts web

2. Shortcut keys for changing desktop no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut keys for changing desktop no longer working: Hi,I use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + Windows key + arrow left or right to move to another desktop on Windows 11 with all available updates installed.Since yesterday it stopped working; I can only change desktop by using the mouse. Tried a different keyboard wired: still not...
  3. Shortcut keys for changing desktop no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut keys for changing desktop no longer working: Hi,I use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + Windows key + arrow left or right to move to another desktop on Windows 11 with all available updates installed.Since yesterday it stopped working; I can only change desktop by using the mouse. Tried a different keyboard wired: still not...
  4. How can I put a web site shortcut on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I put a web site shortcut on my desktop?: How can I put a web site shortcut on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-put-a-web-site-shortcut-on-my-desktop/e04c1f02-ea09-4a78-a440-3f9b873462bc
  5. CREATE DESKTOP SHORTCUT TO WEB SITE

in Windows 10 Customization
    CREATE DESKTOP SHORTCUT TO WEB SITE: WHO AN WHY WAS THIS CHANGE MAID IN IE-11 WHEN ON A WEBSITE NEED TO MAKE SHORTCUT RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT CREATE SHORTCUT REAL EASY AND SIMPLE TO DO. NOW IN EDGE SAME THING RIGHT CLICK NOT THEIR HIGHT LIGHT SITE LOCATION MINIMIZE SCREEN RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP SELECT CREATE...
  6. web site

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    web site: i went to a website and there address does not exist how do they keep operateing Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-site/dccdf822-e964-4953-9e97-24c91beab5cd
  7. Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?: Hello, I have opened up a simple web page that I would like to save a Shortcut (or other Link to) so I can get to it very easily directly from my Desktop. The little icon to the left of the address seems to be a "lock", and I can't drag it anywhere. See: CubicSDR - The...
  8. Desktop shortcuts no longer work

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcuts no longer work: Completely out of the blue last night, the majority of the desktop shortcuts I have to Internet sites have stopped working! I can access them on my Android phone, but not on my PC. I am using Firefox as my browser and Windows 10. Any thoughts as to why this might be...
  9. Internet Shortcuts on Desktop no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Shortcuts on Desktop no longer working: I have a problem with Internet short-cuts on my Desktop. This has only occurred since the April 2018 update. Internet short-cuts which previously worked ok now appear to open a text file. Which looks like this: [{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}] Prop3=19,2...
  10. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...