Windows 10: Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better?

Discus and support Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just wondering?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MapleMaid, Mar 16, 2019.

1. MapleMaid Win User

Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better?

Just wondering?

:)

MapleMaid, Mar 16, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 16, 2019
  3. Rule-R Win User
    Desktop shortcuts disappearing

One of the computers i maintain has a few of the desktop shortcuts disappearing now and then. It runs windows 7, and has a shitload of shortcuts on the desktop.

Any idea what might cause this?

Rule-R, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

NOTEPAD MAKE SHORTCUT TO FILE ON DESKTOP

Hi Anne,

There are several ways of creating or putting a shortcut on the Desktop. One of which is by using the
    Send to option.

Here are the steps on how to do it:

• Go to the file that you want to create as a shortcut on your Desktop.
    • Right-click on it.
    • Choose Send to, then click Desktop
      (create shortcut)
      as shown on the picture below.
      Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better? c7f673a1-846f-471f-a1a3-92c5083b7816.png

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better? - Similar Threads - Desktop shortcuts desktop

2. Desktop shortcut for an application file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop shortcut for an application file: I am trying to create a desktop shortcut for "fastdl.app". I know that I can type that in as the URL in various browsers, but, I don't seem to be able to create a shortcut for it. When I type in "fastdl.app" without the quotes in the "Target" box, I get the error message:The...
  3. Desktop shortcut for an application file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut for an application file: I am trying to create a desktop shortcut for "fastdl.app". I know that I can type that in as the URL in various browsers, but, I don't seem to be able to create a shortcut for it. When I type in "fastdl.app" without the quotes in the "Target" box, I get the error message:The...
  4. Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut: I recently screwed up my Windows 10 Pro system and was able to get just about everything back. One problem that still exists is that I now have two Firefox profiles in use. I know where those are stored but I want to understand them from a different angle.Although they launch...
  5. Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut

Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut: I recently screwed up my Windows 10 Pro system and was able to get just about everything back. One problem that still exists is that I now have two Firefox profiles in use. I know where those are stored but I want to understand them from a different angle.Although they launch...
  6. Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop: I can't seem to find a way to add/copy files or anything on my desktop. Does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appsfilesshortcuts-on-desktop/d338707b-6d03-4f18-a946-c8752a813215
  8. Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop

Apps/files/shortcuts on desktop: I can't seem to find a way to add/copy files or anything on my desktop. Does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appsfilesshortcuts-on-desktop/d338707b-6d03-4f18-a946-c8752a813215
  9. Laptop vs Desktop- Which is better

in Windows 10 News
    Laptop vs Desktop- Which is better: [ATTACH]Laptop vs Desktop is a battle that excites a lot of people, many are skeptical to spend loads of money on a Desktop and many are confused if a Laptop can make their ends meet. So, in this article, we will be seeing which one is better, a Laptop or a Desktop, for you....
  10. Desktop shortcuts not locating files

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcuts not locating files: I have a number of shortcuts on my desktop that when double-clicked respond with not finding the file using the path displayed. I have even gone to the file that the desktop points to and double-clicked it - with the same result. This has only started with W10 upgrade....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shortcut vs desktop files