Windows 10: Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

Discus and support Desktop Shortcuts won't delete in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have some desktop shortcuts that won't delete when I right-click on them and select delete. I get the following error message: [ATTACH] I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gordian'sKnot, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

I have some desktop shortcuts that won't delete when I right-click on them and select delete. I get the following error message:

Desktop Shortcuts won't delete 20b2ddb2-5e7c-4715-9e8a-c0302826eabf?upload=true.png

I have tried to find these files using the command prompt and they don't show up when I use dir. I suspect the issue is because I have uninstalled they used to point to.

:)

Gordian'sKnot, Oct 27, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Desktop shortcuts

Shortcuts can "live" in two places:

• In your own profile folder (C:\Users\Luke\Desktop). They are visible to you only.
    • In the public profile folder (C:\Users\Public\Desktop). They are visible to all users.
    You should now know why the deleted shortcut disappeared from both desktops.

Deleting a shortcut does NOT delete the file or folder it refers to. I recommend you run some tests to confirm this.

Frederik Long, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

1. Desktop Shortcuts won't delete - Similar Threads - Desktop Shortcuts won't

2. internet shortcuts on desktop won't delete when told to

in Windows 10 Gaming
    internet shortcuts on desktop won't delete when told to: I have two internet shortcuts that I can't remove. I have tried deleting, moving to recycle bin, moving a to new folder, and even trying safe mode to remove. Help the file names are very long and seem to resemble many browser links....
  3. internet shortcuts on desktop won't delete when told to

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    internet shortcuts on desktop won't delete when told to: I have two internet shortcuts that I can't remove. I have tried deleting, moving to recycle bin, moving a to new folder, and even trying safe mode to remove. Help the file names are very long and seem to resemble many browser links....
  4. Shortcut icon won't delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut icon won't delete: I tried to delete the Microsoft Edge shortcut from my desktop, but the icon didn't go away. If I try and delete it, it says "Could not find this item." Is there a way to fix this or how do I restore the shortcut so that I can try again?...
  5. Shortcut icon won't delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut icon won't delete: I tried to delete the Microsoft Edge shortcut from my desktop, but the icon didn't go away. If I try and delete it, it says "Could not find this item." Is there a way to fix this or how do I restore the shortcut so that I can try again?...
  6. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  7. I can't delete this desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't delete this desktop shortcut: [ATTACH][ATTACH] When I try to delete it says "Could not find this item" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-delete-this-desktop-shortcut/8cd5a5c8-d345-4a93-9602-836acdc8a8e4
  8. Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete shortcuts on my desktop: Hi, I have a problem which seems minor but I think is major for me. I have two shortcuts of software that I have already uninstalled from my computer on my desktop. I wanted to delete them but it doesn't delete. I've tried right clicking it and delete, pressing the delete...
  9. Internet shortcut icon won't delete

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internet shortcut icon won't delete: I have two internet shortcut icons that somehow got corrupted and I can't delete them from my desktop. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-shortcut-icon-wont-delete/88f6ee11-7b21-4545-8c6c-c757a3701fe9
  10. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...