Windows 10: desktop shortcuts

Discus and support desktop shortcuts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am looking for help with an issue that has just started. When I am creating a desktop shortcut for a website instead of opening up the page I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JaniceBeech, Jan 24, 2019.

1. desktop shortcuts

I am looking for help with an issue that has just started. When I am creating a desktop shortcut for a website instead of opening up the page I have created the shortcut for it simply opens up as my google Chrome browser. I am using a laptop with windows 10. I click on more tools....create shortcut. This is how I have always done it but in the last week it has developed this issue. Any suggestions??

:)

JaniceBeech, Jan 24, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Oct 10, 2019
  4. desktop shortcuts

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

desktop shortcuts

1. desktop shortcuts - Similar Threads - desktop shortcuts

2. Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for...: My custom shortcut keys / hotkeys for desktop shortcuts (for example, to say that keystroke combination control-shift-alt-N opens Notepad) work fine until I logoff. Next time, they don't work (even though the shortcut properties display that the keys are still active.)...
  3. How do I keep Win 10 from scattering my desktop shortcuts....

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I keep Win 10 from scattering my desktop shortcuts....: every time I turn the computer off? I like my shortcuts arranged around the periphery of the screen. When I boot up in the morning they are shifted and out of order. checking 'auto-arrange' only shifts them all into vertical rows in the left side of the screen. 142086
  4. How to add desktop shortcut to App volume device preferences?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to add desktop shortcut to App volume device preferences?: I frequently want to change which audio output device is used by specific apps, and would like to add a desktop shortcut which opens the "App volume device preferences" settings page. Is there any way of doing this? e.g. is there is an ms-settings:xxxx URI that I can use for...
  5. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut: Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either: 1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in Task Manager 2. Give me an error box saying: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...
  6. How do I recover the desktop shortcuts I had on my previous (Windows Vista) computer to my...

How do I recover the desktop shortcuts I had on my previous (Windows Vista) computer to my...: How do I recover the desktop shortcuts from my previous (Windows Vista) computer to my new Windows 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-the-desktop-shortcuts-i-had-on-my/451d6e92-4fb3-4bff-aca4-9892308c6cc6
  7. How to create Desktop Shortcut to Favorites in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create Desktop Shortcut to Favorites in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Creating a Desktop shortcut enables Windows 10 users to quickly access items of daily use. You can also add your Favorite items to the Desktop as shortcuts. So, if you are interested in creating a Desktop Shortcut to Favorites in [...] This post How to...
  8. Desktop Shortcut icons dissapeared

Desktop Shortcut icons dissapeared: Hi Everyone. My problem is I have lost all desktop shortcut icons on my windows 10, how do I retrieve this page? its normally when the pc starts up, then I click into them. Some one help me please, its driving me crazy. Thank you....
  9. Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcuts: I just joined Xbox GamePass for PC. Downloaded a couple of games I'm going to try over the next few days. How do I create a desktop shortcut to easily launch these games? With Steam and Epic store, I have no problem setting up a desktop shortcut to launch my games very easily...
  10. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...