Windows 10: desktop shutdown

Discus and support desktop shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; About a couple weeks ago my desktop computer stopped being able to shut down through the start menu, I have to physically press the power button. If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by chefJ2011, Mar 8, 2020.

1. chefJ2011 Win User

desktop shutdown

About a couple weeks ago my desktop computer stopped being able to shut down through the start menu, I have to physically press the power button. If I try to shut down any other way, the computer will only restart. I've tried changing the power settings to not restart if there is a system error, turn off fast-boot, tried to shut down through the command prompt. I even went so far as to remove my old drives and buy a new ssd and install an older version of windows 10. I also checked to make sure everything was plugged in correctly in case something had somehow gotten knocked loose at some point. nothing seems to have fixed the issue. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this and/or how to fix this?

:)

chefJ2011, Mar 8, 2020
  2. Vinodh.V Win User

ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can create shortcut for Shutdown, restart and sleep by following the below steps:

• First right-click on the desktop, choose New and then Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, you’ll need to enter the correct command, which I’ve listed for you below.
    • For Shutdown type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

• For Restart type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

• For Sleep type the below command:
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

After you click Finish, you should now have a new icon that you can double-click to immediately shutdown, restart, or lock your computer.

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Vinodh.V, Mar 8, 2020
  3. Catper Win User
    ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

yeah it works but i have another problem with this combination.

Shutdown/Restart shortcut force windows to shutdown without letting other apps to save their data, that is a bit nuisance.

for eg:

Utorrent is force closed and when i start the pc, it re-calculate all the toorents in the list even those that are already downloaded and currently in seeding state. It happens when utorrent is not closed properly.

So is there any way to NORMALLY shutdown/restart/loggoff/lock windows pc?

Catper, Mar 8, 2020
  4. Marby Rey Win User

desktop shutdown

SHUTDOWN BUTTON !!

Hi,

To create shutdown button shortcut, kindly follow these steps.

• Right-click on the desktop, select New and then choose Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, enter the command for shutdown shutdown.exe -s -t 00.
    • Click Next, then type the name of this shortcut.
    • Click Finish.
    • Right-click the shortcut on the desktop, then select Pin to taskbar.

Let us know the outcome.

Marby Rey, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

desktop shutdown

1. desktop shutdown - Similar Threads - desktop shutdown

2. How to fix desktop icons not keeping their place after each shutdown or restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix desktop icons not keeping their place after each shutdown or restart?: Hi, i tried to fix this my self searching a solution online but nothing i found worked, hope someone can help me.The issues started after i changed some graphic options in a game Tiny Tina's Wonderlands just to be clear and from than on i had strange issues.I have a two...
  3. How to fix desktop icons not keeping their place after each shutdown or restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix desktop icons not keeping their place after each shutdown or restart?: Hi, i tried to fix this my self searching a solution online but nothing i found worked, hope someone can help me.The issues started after i changed some graphic options in a game Tiny Tina's Wonderlands just to be clear and from than on i had strange issues.I have a two...
  4. How to fix desktop icons not keeping their place after each shutdown or restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Hit Start > Power -> Shutdown and computer remains on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hit Start > Power -> Shutdown and computer remains on desktop: so I'm running Windows 11, new system build as I've upgraded parts frfom a 3080ti to a sapphire radeon RX 7900 xtx, upgraded my motherboard to an MSI X670-P Pro wifi AM5 ATX and upgraded my RAM to a DR5.Anyhow.. beside the point. I've had over 2 months of my computer being in...
  6. Hit Start > Power -> Shutdown and computer remains on desktop

Hit Start > Power -> Shutdown and computer remains on desktop: so I'm running Windows 11, new system build as I've upgraded parts frfom a 3080ti to a sapphire radeon RX 7900 xtx, upgraded my motherboard to an MSI X670-P Pro wifi AM5 ATX and upgraded my RAM to a DR5.Anyhow.. beside the point. I've had over 2 months of my computer being in...
  7. Desktop view during shutdown and startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop view during shutdown and startup: I have a strange behaviour in my laptop with windows 10 and it is fairly new device.The screen have a memorized an image of desktop and keeps it during shutdown and startup. Its blurry but readable. The image refreshes every now and then depending on the programs being opened...
  8. Desktop view during shutdown and startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop view during shutdown and startup: I have a strange behaviour in my laptop with windows 10 and it is fairly new device.The screen have a memorized an image of desktop and keeps it during shutdown and startup. Its blurry but readable. The image refreshes every now and then depending on the programs being opened...
  9. Desktop view during shutdown and startup

10. Desktop icons keep moving onto my second monitor after a shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons keep moving onto my second monitor after a shutdown: I just recently upgraded to windows 11, now whenever i start up my pc after shutting it down , all my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I keep having to move them back when I start up my pc and I've done the two the trouble shooting tips i googled which was to:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i shut windows i loose all my history? why?