Windows 10: Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage

Discus and support Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've recently started experiencing bad stutter while playing games and it appears to be the result of my desktop background slideshow spiking CPU usage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LazyGit, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage

I've recently started experiencing bad stutter while playing games and it appears to be the result of my desktop background slideshow spiking CPU usage up to 25% on each change. I also noticed while trying to identify the problem that dragging a chrome window around was causing circa 20% CPU usage as well but I don't know if that's normal. The usage spikes for desktop changes is not normal though.

Anybody experienced this and know of a solution?

submitted by /u/LazyGit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LazyGit, Dec 2, 2019

2. How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

I suggest using the trial period of Tune Up Utilities to find your problem using "Program Deactivator"

Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage [​IMG]

when you click on one of the two buttons (circled in red) you should have the following picture to show load points.

Hope this helps

RoadBlaster, Dec 2, 2019
  3. How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

Yes, I have noticed negative effects on my PC's performance:

-Browsing is slower when I open multiple tabs rapidly. I do this a lot (I research multiple links in online articles).

-My PC gets much hotter, and stays hot--so much hotter that I have to turn it off.

After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the 39% CPU usage screen shot of my Process Manager was when I was doing nothing--no browsing, word processing, etc. Before I took the screen shots, I closed all application programs. My machine was leveled out, as you better describe it (the screen shots were taken 5 minutes after my PC first leveled out). My PC is 39% CPU usage when leveled out; never lower.

Before the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my PC was 10% CPU usage when it leveled out. And it stayed there.

1 other PC we have with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (same model as my PC) *HAS* the 39%-CPU-usage-at-idle problem.

2 other PCs we have with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (different brands) DO *NOT* HAVE the 39%-CPU-usage-at-idle problem. They have only 10% CPU usage at idle.

[NOTE I've no software to my PC after the Anniversary Update. My programs, etc. the are same as before.]

Any ideas on what to do to fix my high CPU usage?:
    -use Process Explorer? (how do I use it in this case?)
    -reinstall hardware drivers? (which ones?)
    -suspend certain services? (which ones?)

I've seen comments suggesting each of the above ideas. I need step-by-step instructions (ideally screen shots) for Process Explorer. For drivers & services, which do I try?

Any ideas on the above possible fixes OR better fixes for my high-CPU-at-idle problem? I'd really appreciate them

FuturePerfect, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage

How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

This is good to know. Thank you.
    OK, now I know that the problem is affecting the two Dell XPS 12s you have, whereas the other two computers you listed are not having them, this will help me in diagnosing the problem by narrowing it down.
    After querying the search engines with your particular device specifications and the problem, the first thing I want you to try is deleting any ghost devices in Device Manager. "Ghost devices" can hog system resources and will be greyed out in Device Manager while doing absolutely nothing, and there is no harm in deleting any of them as long as they are greyed out, like this:

Though this window is for an older Windows installation, yours will be no different, except for the devices listed. Any ghost devices will be grey. In order to see ghost devices in the first place, follow this snippet from Microsoft tech support that I found on Microsoft's help forums:
    After you have done this, proceed with the following instructions:
    After performing these instructions, let me know what your Task Manager is reporting. Or if it didn't work, let me know and I'll dig a little deeper into the problem.

EDIT:
    Make sure when uninstalling ghost devices that you check each dependency tree, like Monitors, Network adapters, Portable Devices, Printers, System Devices, etc. Just make sure you check every tree for greyed out devices. Also, the reason I chose this method of potential fix is because it's not uncommon for ghost devices to cause high CPU, especially since in your Task Manager, the highest CPU using Process is "System" when at idle. Seeing as how none of your other programs are requesting high amounts of CPU usage, this also tells me it's not anything you installed, rather the system itself is busily working on something in the background.

Also, after completing everything listed above, in Task Manager scroll through the Startup tab, right click and disable anything that isn't vital or needed. like software updaters. Keep only bare necessities like sound processes or antivirus handlers. Then finally, restart one more time.

Ten Seconds, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage

1. Desktop Slideshow higher CPU usage - Similar Threads - Desktop Slideshow higher

2. Windows 10: Higher RAM usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Higher RAM usage: Hi. I am using 8GB of RAM. When I got my PC in my hands for the first time, the RAM usage with required open programs was at 60% where the open program would use 2.5GB RAM, while now, with 3GB RAM usage from one program, gets the RAM usage to 90%.I have many useless apps...
  3. RAM usage way higher then it should be

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM usage way higher then it should be: My ram usage on my laptop is waaay higher then taskmanager says, like it has 16gb of ram and with only a blank davinci resolve project open + 1 youtube tab it already runs out of memory. this is stupid ofcourse but the weird part is that when i place my m2 ssd from my laptop...
  4. Windows Defender SmartScreen - permanent higher cpu usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender SmartScreen - permanent higher cpu usage: Hello, after testing and investigate during more weeks is found that the Windows Defender SmartScreen is permanently use higher cpu resources actually permanent 10-18 percent. From Windows Defender - status and device power - not found the problems. Recent installed -...
  5. Program to track CPU and CPU temperature and usage on desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program to track CPU and CPU temperature and usage on desktop?: I have been using HWMonitor but it does not have desktop widget and I want to track parameters in real-time. 134427
  6. Program to track CPU and CPU temperature and usage on desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Program to track CPU and CPU temperature and usage on desktop?: I have been using HWMonitor but it does not have desktop widget and I want to track parameters in real-time. 134427
  7. CPU and RAM usage getting higher

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU and RAM usage getting higher: Hi currently I have windows 10 pro build 1809. For some time I been noticed that the CPU and RAM usage getting way higher than usual, but in the earlier version of this (1803) did not have this bug. Please help me out. System Specification Windows 10 pro 1809 8 GB DDR4...
  8. Higher memory and CPU usage after updating to build 1803

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Higher memory and CPU usage after updating to build 1803: After updating Windows to build 1803 a few days ago I noticed my computer got a lot slower, memory usage stays at a consistent 50% while idle and CPU usage skyrockets and everything starts lagging while doing things like opening programs or tabs and watching a livestream...
  9. "Lock Screen Slideshow" For The Desktop Slideshow

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Lock Screen Slideshow" For The Desktop Slideshow: Hello, You are familiar with how the Lock Screen Slideshow plays, where it sometimes puts one image on the whole screen and slides to the left or right / fades the picture away, and loads multiple pictures sometimes, varying by size, and other fancy variations, etc. Has...
  10. How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?: My CPU usage used to be 10% at idle (using no high-CPU apps) even after I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. After Windows 10 Anniversary Updates however, my CPU usage skyrocketed 4 times higher, so now it's around 40% at idle. I have done full anti-virus...