Windows 10: Desktop slow and unresponsive all of the sudden

Discus and support Desktop slow and unresponsive all of the sudden in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have installed the Anniversary update and 2 updates since then and all of the sudden my desktop is slow and unresponsive. Icons on the task bar do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by demoleon, Aug 29, 2016.

1. demoleon Win User

Desktop slow and unresponsive all of the sudden

I have installed the Anniversary update and 2 updates since then and all of the sudden my desktop is slow and unresponsive. Icons on the task bar do not highlight when the cursor passes over them. If you let the cursor sit on an icon for a while it may highlight. Any dialog boxes that pop up are blank and you have to wait quite a while for them to populate with text and buttons. When you hover over an icon on the desktop the cursor does change to a hand but the text of the icon does not underline like it did in the past. Left click context menus pop up right away but when you move the cursor to select an item the menu item does not highlight, however you can click it and it does function. I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers (and went into safe mode and uninstalled the old driver completely with a driver cleaner) to no avail. I try rebooting explorer from the task manager but to no avail. Rebooting sometimes helps (most often not) but the system can work OK for hours after a reboot and then...boom it becomes unresponsive. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    John

:)

demoleon, Aug 29, 2016

2. New Computer all of the sudden running SLOW !!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Try the Clean Boot method to see if a startup program is involved - if so it is a

process of elimination :

Right Click the start button - Command Prompt (Admin) - at the prompt type in

MSCONFIG

and hit enter

How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Windows 10 is essentially the same

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

==================================================

Do all of these :

If you had a 3rd party antivirus on the OS you upgraded OR if you have one

now uninstall it and then run its maker's removal tool. Use Windows Defender

which in Windows 8/8.1/10 is a full antivirus. Despite all the hype out there

Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall are true superstars.

List of anti-malware program cleanup/uninstall tools

List of anti-malware product removal tools

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus software

===============================

Check this :

Right Click Start button - Control Panel - Troubleshooting - on right side click View all -

System Maintenance.

-----------------------------------------------------

Windows Key + X - Command Prompt (Admin)

SFC /scannow

Note if that shows uncorrected errors - do the below regardless.

When that completes run these :

DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Note if that shows any uncorrected errors - do the below regardless.

Then restart the computer.

Be sure you are running the latest available BIOS and drivers.

Check with System Maker (Motherboard Maker for custom systems) for updates

to the BIOS, low level chipset drivers, and the major on-board and separate

device
    drivers. Run DriverView - set VIEW to Hide Microsoft drivers - update

those without Dump in their name.

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded

on your system. For each driver in the list, additional useful information is

displayed: load address of the driver, description, version, product name,

company that created the driver, and more.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the

most current. Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down

the make and complete model of your video adapter - double click - Driver's

tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate Driver (this may not do

anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall -

REBOOT this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard

if 3rd party with their own software and drivers and any other major device drivers

you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and

then Device Maker's site (Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their

latest versions. (Look for BIOS, Chipset, and software updates at System Maker's

site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN -

REBOOT after each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are

installing actually shows up. This is because some drivers rollback before the

latest is installed (sound drivers particularly do this) so install a driver - reboot

- check to be sure it is installed and repeat as needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER -

heck manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.

How to Find and Download Drivers

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Saurav` Win User
    New Computer all of the sudden running SLOW !!!!!!!!!

Hello

On 8th this month Microsoft had released updates to windows 10. may be your computer is updating that why you feel it slow.

Saurav`, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Bastet Win User

I had the same problem, tried in-place repair but still the same, tried several times which eventually it became even slower, I recovered via an image & problem resolved. I have noticed since that Windows Defefender limited periodic scanning slowed my PC down & turning it off speeded it back to normal.

Bastet, Aug 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop slow and unresponsive all of the sudden - Similar Threads - Desktop slow unresponsive

2. PC runs slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC runs slow all of a sudden: The other night I updated and shut down my laptop. I've just updated my laptop to the newest version of windows 10 but now it is running so slowly and get 2fps on the games I average 50fps minimum. I've tried uninstalling the update, installing an antivirus and disabling all...
  3. Computer slowing down all of a sudden

Computer slowing down all of a sudden: Hello, i wanted to know why my computer had become EXTREMELY slow after a blue screen. Could this be caused from gaming bcuz i use a gaming laptop and whenever i run games on it cpu runs at 95c. After the blue screen my computer has been so slow that it wont even open discord...
  4. Slow PC all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow PC all of a sudden: So around the beginning of this month, my Laptop just suddenly became really slow. It takes forever to boot up and to load simple things like file explorer. I scanned for a virus using windows defender but nothing showed up so I tried malware bytes and it said it found...
  5. Slow PC all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow PC all of a sudden: So around the beginning of this month, my Laptop just suddenly became really slow. It takes forever to boot up and to load simple things like file explorer. I scanned for a virus using windows defender but nothing showed up so I tried malware bytes and it said it found...
  6. Slow internet all of a sudden?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow internet all of a sudden?: I checked other devices and they seem to be working just fine. About a week or 2 ago I was having issues with my internet on my PC slowing down after having my computer on for a day or 2 and a simple reboot would seem to fix it but now im having terrible internet that isnt...
  7. All browsers startup slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All browsers startup slow all of a sudden: Hello, When I first startup any browser ( Chrome, Edge, Firefox) they all take about 23 to 25 seconds to work. (So they will all start but the browser is just white as if it is loading). However, when I open up another window of any of those listed browsers it opens...
  8. Windows slow all the sudden

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows slow all the sudden: Windows suddenly really slow to load up. Apps locking up. Even task manager locking up. File explorer not even opening. Reset didn't work. Am now in the middle of clean install from USB. Time from power up to setup screen almost an hour. Click anything and it takes at least...
  9. WiFi Slow All of a Sudden

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi Slow All of a Sudden: Over the past few days my WiFi speed has been 1-4mb down, 1mb up. It used to be around 20mb down, 10mb up. This coincided with a Windows update on June 11, but I've uninstalled the update Security Update for Adobe Flash Player to no effect. This is certainly a problem with...
  10. Remote Desktop Connection is slow and unresponsive

Remote Desktop Connection is slow and unresponsive: When using RDC to remote into W10 Pro latest build and fully updated from W10 Ent latest build and fully updated, the connection is extremely slow or completely unresponsive. I can remote into Server 2012 from the W10 Ent machine without an issue and I can remote into the...