Windows 10: Desktop stay awake during backup

Discus and support Desktop stay awake during backup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. I look after a number of PC's for my flying club and I back them up on a weekly basis during the night. Two desktops have backup drives in them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by daylef, Apr 26, 2019.

1. daylef Win User

Desktop stay awake during backup

Hi. I look after a number of PC's for my flying club and I back them up on a weekly basis during the night. Two desktops have backup drives in them which enables local backup but two laptops don't and as a consequence, I back them up to the desktop backup drives over WiFi.

The problem with that is keeping the desktops awake while the laptop backs up. I've tried scheduling a wakeup using Task Scheduler in the desktop and by sending a Wake On Lan command from the laptops which works but the problem is of course the desktop goes to sleep after the set sleep timer. I don't want to extend it if I can avoid it but want to know if there's any way of turning off the sleep timer temporarily.

Cheers

:)

daylef, Apr 26, 2019
  2. Me.Doc Win User

Windows 10 can't stay awake

Grep and Kapil,

Thank you for your help. I was not able to get the Windows 10 to stay awake the configured 30 minutes. But, going through the steps provided, I was able to improve Windows staying awake from 2 minutes to 11 minutes. Why 11 minutes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MD

Me.Doc, Apr 26, 2019
  3. Recon-UK Win User
    easy way to stay awake?

The best way to try and stay awake is to not try and stay awake.
    If i try to sleep i don't sleep and vice versa.

Recon-UK, Apr 26, 2019
  4. Desktop stay awake during backup

easy way to stay awake?

Desktop stay awake during backup giphy.gif

Stay AWAKE this is costing you 1c a Slap

dorsetknob, Apr 26, 2019
Thema:

Desktop stay awake during backup

1. Desktop stay awake during backup - Similar Threads - Desktop stay awake

2. Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop: I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab: [img] and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened,...
  3. BSOD occurring during use after awake from sleep - ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD occurring during use after awake from sleep - ntoskrnl.exe: Hello guys! I have searched all around trying to find a solution to this issue. Situation: After fresh boot, computer runs fine, no issues. After a few hours of use, I put the computer to sleep/standby. The problem occurs AFTER I wake the computer from sleep. I am able to...
  4. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  5. files skipped during backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    files skipped during backup: Every time I back up w10, it tells me files were skipped. (Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Music. Error*SadThe system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)) There is one file in the folder "music" with 0 length (properties...
  6. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....
  7. Windows 10 can't stay awake

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 can't stay awake: I just upgraded to Windows 10. The jury is still out if I like it better than Windows 7, but I think so. One big problem is nothing I've done will adjust the power setting to keep my laptop from going to sleep. I notice that there is not an option for "dim the screen" I doubt...
  8. Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake: W10 will stay awake when something is running. But goes to sleep within minutes when idle. Laptop is plugged in. I have everything I can think of set to make it stay awake. High performance profile, no sleep ever, no hybrid sleep, no hibernate, no drive off (SSD), Display...
  9. Desktop to Stay

in Windows 10 News
    Desktop to Stay: Can't wait for Windows 9. I posted this on Windows 8 forum and the H8erts came out AGAIN. Loved Windows 7 Forum but Windows 8 Forum is getting to be a boar. Jim *Banghead Two good articles from Mary Jo. Interview with Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice...
  10. Freeze on awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze on awake: Hey, Sometimes when my PC comes back up from hibernation (hybrid sleep enabled) it freezes so stiff that even the reset button stops working. The screen updates once so the clock widget on my taskbar shows the current time for a second. Sometimes the HDD light stays lit,...