Windows 10: Desktop taking several attempts to boot

Discus and support Desktop taking several attempts to boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my PC by changing to an ASUS H81M-PLUS motherboard with a new i5-4460 as well. Afterwards I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 970 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jsc98, Dec 21, 2016.

1. jsc98 Win User

Desktop taking several attempts to boot

I recently upgraded my PC by changing to an ASUS H81M-PLUS motherboard with a new i5-4460 as well. Afterwards I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 970 and started to experience an issue when booting my desktop.

When i attempted to turn it on all that would appear is a white dash and it would hang there indefinitely. This would occur after a random number of boot attempts until it boots correctly.

This issue doesn't appear to happen when either I either 'Restart' the PC, or turn it on immediately after already being powered on. And i have noticed that the PC is more likely to boot if I leave it running on a failed boot attempt.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

:)

jsc98, Dec 21, 2016

2. Multiple errors & taking repeated attempts to boot the laptop & crashed with blue creen

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Did you try installing all the drivers including the motherboard and chipset from the manufacturer’s website as suggested in the previous post?

If not, I suggest you to perform the installation of the drivers and check if that help. If the system takes time to boot to

Windows, you may try disabling the startup items and check if that helps.

· Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.

· Go to Startup tab.

· Locate the third party applications, and select Disable.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 21, 2016
  3. Multiple errors & taking repeated attempts to boot the laptop & crashed with blue creen

Hi,

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your efforts towards resolving it. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Download Windows 10 from the below link and create media
    creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After creating the tool perform a Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, start up Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings
    and more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically. Perform the Startup Repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option
      key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

6. Click Repair your computer in the lower
      left corner

7. Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option
      and then click Startup repair.
    Once the issue with the Startup process gets resolved, I suggest you to download the latest drivers including the chipset and motherboard from the manufacturer’s website and check if the issue persists.
    If there is no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then download the latest drivers and try installing it in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version
    of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from
    the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 21, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  5. jsc98 Win User
    jsc98, Dec 21, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then try enabling it! *Biggrin

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  7. jsc98 Win User
    It was enabled to begin with, but i changed it as an attempt to fix this very issue Desktop taking several attempts to boot :p to no avail as it still showed the same issue

jsc98, Dec 21, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Assuming you did not do a clean install after the upgrades, that is probably what is going to solve your issue. Windows 10 is the most tolerant OS so far of working when hardware is changed...but a clean install will probably fix your issue - if you did not do a clean install before.

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  9. jsc98 Win User
    Was considering that, will give it a go and see if it helps

jsc98, Dec 21, 2016
  10. jsc98 Win User
    No Luck!! *Sad It seems to now be booting on the second attempt but the sample is obviously quite low at the moment. But was due a clean install anyway Desktop taking several attempts to boot :p

jsc98, Dec 21, 2016
  11. jsc98 Win User
    Update: Tried old graphics card and same problem occurs.
    Note: On successful attempts for booting my Keyboard and Mouse light up before the splash screen, but do not on unsuccessful boots.

jsc98, Dec 28, 2016
  12. I don't have a solution to your problem but would swap the graphics card back out and in to confirm the problem is in fact related. (btw you have also re-seated the card already?)

ComputerGeek, Dec 28, 2016
  13. jsc98 Win User

I just swapped it today in fact, and it seems unrelated as the same issue occured!

jsc98, Dec 28, 2016
  14. Haha just saw your post. I see we both had same idea at same time.

you've also checked for bios updates? Also might try a rescue CD. Isolate if OS related or your h/w. For Windows, check out Gandalf ISO. Great rescue CD to have on hand in any case (I use Rufus to keep a bootable USB version handy)

ComputerGeek, Dec 28, 2016
  15. jsc98 Win User
    I attempted to update bios but in all honesty I'm not sure if I've done it correctly.

I'm downloading the ISO at the moment, I assume if it boots correctly then it's safe to assume its a h/w issue and if it doesn't then it suggests OS?

jsc98, Dec 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop taking several attempts to boot - Similar Threads - Desktop taking several

2. Several Unknown Login Attempts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several Unknown Login Attempts: I've been getting several Microsoft "single use code" emails off and on since Jan 21st., and checked my security info. I noticed failed several attempts to the tune of every couple minutes for several hours involving a "incorrect password" and they were all associated with...
  3. Several Unknown Login Attempts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Several Unknown Login Attempts: I've been getting several Microsoft "single use code" emails off and on since Jan 21st., and checked my security info. I noticed failed several attempts to the tune of every couple minutes for several hours involving a "incorrect password" and they were all associated with...
  4. Why does my computer take several times to boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer take several times to boot?: Often I turn my computer on, it makes the start up sound, my keyboard lights up and so does the power button. However my mouse does not light up and no picture is displayed. Out of about twenty tries it turned on once. Please can someone help....
  5. Why does my computer take several times to boot?

Why does my computer take several times to boot?: Often I turn my computer on, it makes the start up sound, my keyboard lights up and so does the power button. However my mouse does not light up and no picture is displayed. Out of about twenty tries it turned on once. Please can someone help....
  6. Why does my computer take several times to boot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my computer take several times to boot?: Often I turn my computer on, it makes the start up sound, my keyboard lights up and so does the power button. However my mouse does not light up and no picture is displayed. Please can someone help...
  7. Headset Mic will NOT work - several attempts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headset Mic will NOT work - several attempts: Hi. I recently got done switching a prebuilt HP Omen over to a Corsair 4000d Airflow case. The case has a combo-jack on the front panel. This was the same as my old one, where my headset worked perfectly. It fit into my motherboard exactly the same. Now, my only issue is my...
  8. This might take several minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might take several minutes: I booted my hp laptop and it came up with a blank screen. Thought maybe there was an issue with my machine because I use an external docking station/monitor. It rebooted I got login screen. After login in, I am getting “hi” followed by “we’ve got some updates for your...
  9. Several instances of Sticky Notes (On several desktops)

Several instances of Sticky Notes (On several desktops): Dear community, sometimes I am using two desktops in Windows 10. I would to like to have two instances of a program (e.g. Sticky Notes) open at the same time (one on each desktop). While this works for some programs, this does not work for e.g. Sticky Notes. Is there...
  10. several desktops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    several desktops: First, let me say the problem I am having is not the second drive.. I have a C drive a D drive (recovery drive. I have a problem with my computer showing more than one user. I will save a document or a photo, etc. What will happen is that it will go into my pc or the name of...