Windows 10: Desktop to Stay

Discus and support Desktop to Stay in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Can't wait for Windows 9. I posted this on Windows 8 forum and the H8erts came out AGAIN. Loved Windows 7 Forum but Windows 8 Forum is getting to be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Phone Man, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Phone Man Win User

Desktop to Stay

Can't wait for Windows 9. I posted this on Windows 8 forum and the H8erts came out AGAIN. Loved Windows 7 Forum but Windows 8 Forum is getting to be a boar.

Jim
    *Banghead

Two good articles from Mary Jo. Interview with Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of operating systems

Microsoft OS chief Myerson on the future of 'One Windows' | ZDNet

Microsoft OS chief Myerson talks turkey on transparency, cadence and cross platform | ZDNet

MYERSON: We actually value using the desktop. I feel highly productive using it. It's very familiar to me. We plan -- (as) we talked about at the Build conference -- to bring modern apps to the desktop. We are going to have machines that have a great desktop experience.

It (the desktop) is also not the right experience for a phone or a tablet. And so how the Windows experience spans these form factors and is familiar across them -- that's what we need to deliver if we're going to delight people in the whole ecosystem.

The desktop is part of our future. It's absolutely core to Windows.

Jim
    Desktop to Stay [​IMG]

:)

Phone Man, Apr 11, 2014

2. Since the new Windows 10 update (2016), my computer screen turns black after being idle

I just updated my Windows and the Desktop was black upon startup.. when I put an image as desktop background it stays for 5 sec and then fades to black again The fading looks as if it does it on purpose and not as an error.. Everything works but my desktop
    stays black..

Karl Gustaf FredrikLundqvist, Apr 11, 2014
  3. Desktop Icons will not stay put

My desktop icons will not stay arranged they way I want them to. When I move an icon, the others will move too. My desktop will not allow me to put icons in the first column on the left hand side except in the first and last positions. Putting any in the
    middle results in all the other icons rearranging themselves, resulting in huge gaps.

• I have tried selecting the auto arrange - puts them all on the left side, but wont allow me to arrange them in the particular order I prefer them in.
    • I have tried Auto grid - does not automatically rearrange, but also does not allow me to arrange them, either.
    • I have tried clearing my icon cache - this did not fix the issue either.
    • I do not have a restore point that is before this issue started, so I cannot try to restore my computer.
    This issue started after I attempted (and failed) to project to my smartTV. If anyone has any other options I could try, it would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get my desktop back to looking the way it was. I am currently running an updated version
    of Windows 10.

Thank you,

Erin

ErinBecote, Apr 11, 2014
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Desktop to Stay

*Thumbs

There is going to always be the haters, and have to agree with Jim that the Eight Forums is getting fairly boring, and I fine myself spending more time here on the Nines. . .

5. LittleJay Win User
    Windows H8ters seem to take a perverse pleasure in posting their opinions on a website dedicated to the Windows 8 OS, even though they serve no useful purpose and I totally agree that it really gets old after a while. *Sad

LittleJay, Apr 11, 2014
  6. Haters are going to hate, no matter what. People are more than likely going to hate Windows 9 just as much as they have hated each prior version, it's just the bandwagon mentality that makes them think they are cool.

Also of course the desktop is going to stay, it's going to stay for a long time just as it has always been so. I doubt you'll find anyone playing most modern games on anything but a desktop (or laptop).

LovingWindows, Apr 11, 2014
  7. Tepid Win User
    Yes, MS will always get flack. They are the dominate OS on the planet.
    Windows 9 will change a lot from what 8 is.
    Seeing as they are dedicated to the Desktop now. We will see a lot more App integration with the desktop I think. Interactive Tiles will be a huge step in that direction.

Cross App authentication in RT and WP would be awesome as well.

App unification will be fantastic. One app across all platforms.

This next 2 years are going to be big for Windows as a whole.

Go watch some of the build week videos on Channel9 to get more insight into what is ahead.

Tepid, Apr 12, 2014
  8. davehc Win User

Desktop to Stay

I don't think it is as bad as seems. There is a small minority of windows 8 haters on the forum. Unfortunately, these members, whilst obviously using Windows 8, take pleasure in attacking any "pro " windows 8 or Microsoft posts. They are, at the same time, prolific posters so give the forum an air of being positive Windows 8 and Microsoft bashers.
    There are many members, on the other hand, who give more useful and useable information on ways to overcome any small problems they are having with Windows 8.
    It is prevalent more on our Windows 8 site then any of the others I visit. This is a pity, as that particular site, and its earlier Windows 7, have an acknowledged reputation for giving good advice..

davehc, Apr 12, 2014
  9. Chuck38 Win User
    I use Windows 8, but unlike many of those 'haters', I came from Mac. I have never used Windows 7, Vista, or even XP. I say that so everyone knows that I cannot compare Windows 8 to any other version of Windows. But, for those who can, and if you are a Windows 8 hater you should refrain from hating on these forums. These forums are here to help, not to let you tell everyone what you hate. As lovingwindows said, "haters are going to hate, no matter what." But, I do not believe that is why the forum is here. Please, do not express your hatred for any OS on these forums.

Chuck38, Apr 12, 2014
  10. Burgurne Win User
    I have posted this answer in sevenforums in the thread "Is Windows 8 a mistake?"

Windows 8 is a mistake. I was fouled by it, and I bought an Windows 8 Pro, and has been running windows 8, windows 8.1 and latest windows 8.1.1. Saturday I had it! Out with windows 8.1.1 and back in with my good old Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Uhmmm it was allmost the same feeling you have when comming home to your parents for Christmas.

Besides "feelings" and "look of GUI" I can add, that I had 3 problems with windows 8 right from start and until I went back to windows 7.

USB 3. First terrible performance allmost like USB2, windows 8.1 did take some care of that for the build-in USB3 in Intels chipset, but my USB3 hub (build in in my cabinet), did not work. Solved by forcing windows 7 drivers in windows 8, which was quite a challenge the first time, and it ruined my option to do a "refresh" inside windows 8.1

Most games build with DirectX 9.0c and older runs very poorly in Windows 8, 8.1 and 8.1.1 compared to windows 7. Dx11 games are about the same in win8 and 7.

It is allmost impossible to find an .ISO with windows 8.1 and totally impossible to find an .ISO with windows 8.1.1, so a clean install is pretty much not a possibility. As I'm danish, I of course wants a danish .ISO. But no. MS does not allow us to download an .ISO. They want us to install windows 8, make all the updates, then make a "Microsoft account" to allowing access to Windows Store, where you then can upgrade to Windows 8.1, then do a lot of updates again, and then update to windows 8.1.1 (the last is a MUST, recording to MS, as future security-updates require windows 8.1.1 to be installed). Not much "clean install" there :-(

With that said, installing windows 7 SP1 from scratch is also a timeconsuming job. Why the .uc. don't Microsoft release a SP2? 12 minutes to install Windows 7 x64 SP1 from an USB-stick, but 5,5 HOURS to do the aftercomming updates!!

I'm still not a "windows 8 h8ter", and I can understand why people with no problems are happy to use it. But I really do hope that Windows 9 will arrive with much less problems than windows 8 did. Most of all ... make it possible to do a CLEAN install, not that update/upgrade hell like it is now with windows 8, and (in a miner scale) with windows 7. And I also hope, that windows 9 will give people more choises, like in windows 7, to trim the look and feel of the GUI (Modern and/or desktop) without having to install 3. party programs.

Burgurne, Apr 13, 2014
  11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    One question. . .why did you post on this suite. . .this is windows 9 not win 8 or win 7. If you have a problem with either then you need to post on one or the either. . .enough said.

12. Chuck38 Win User
    I'm wondering about that as well. *Doh

Chuck38, Apr 13, 2014
  13. davehc Win User

Desktop to Stay

There are several brief comments, in other threads, regarding Windows 8. I do agree though, that this was a particularly long and unneeded rant about a non related OS.
    To be fair though, it would be impossible for the Administrators and moderators to keep control, or censor, such posts. There are, already, for example, masses of posts here, on subjects which have absolutely not the slightest connection with the non-existent Windows 9.

As I said, too long and too dedicated to an observation of Windows 8, but it is common on other forums.
    In fact, for example, only post #2 from phoneman has actually referred to the thread title here.

davehc, Apr 13, 2014
  14. LEE
    Lee Win User
    His post was not logical as Mr. Spock would have said. . .*Biggrin

15. Burgurne Win User
    Well, it could have been shorted down a lot, I'm sorry, but the reason for the post was the ending

But I really do hope that Windows 9 will arrive with much less problems than windows 8 did. Most of all ... make it possible to do a CLEAN install, not that update/upgrade hell like it is now with windows 8, and (in a miner scale) with windows 7. And I also hope, that windows 9 will give people more choises, like in windows 7, to trim the look and feel of the GUI (Modern and/or desktop) without having to install 3. party programs.

So in the end it was an answer to the news, that the desktop will stay in windows 9, and that I hope this desktop (and maybe some sort of "modern GUI") will give the user more choises than Windows 8 did.

Signing out, and leave the thread to you.

Burgurne, Apr 13, 2014
Thema:

Desktop to Stay

1. Desktop to Stay - Similar Threads - Desktop Stay

2. A bunch of my desktop apps are crashing on start up or failing to stay up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A bunch of my desktop apps are crashing on start up or failing to stay up.: Discord, some game launchers like Final Fantasy XIV and Riot Games, Synapse from Razer, and even NVIDIA GeForce Experience on installing drivers are having the stated issues. Either on trying to start them up and them just crashing and hanging on the background visible...
  3. A bunch of my desktop apps are crashing on start up or failing to stay up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A bunch of my desktop apps are crashing on start up or failing to stay up.: Discord, some game launchers like Final Fantasy XIV and Riot Games, Synapse from Razer, and even NVIDIA GeForce Experience on installing drivers are having the stated issues. Either on trying to start them up and them just crashing and hanging on the background visible...
  4. Remote Desktop doesnt stay on; Toggle immediately switches back to off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop doesnt stay on; Toggle immediately switches back to off.: Ive tried going through CMD, settings, Reg Edit, Messing with network settings, ect to make remote desktop stay on. But still, every time I try to turn it on, it turns back off instantly. Any Advice???PC Specs:Windows 10 Pro - 21H2Ryzen 7 3700xEVGA 2070 Super32gb Corsair...
  5. Remote Desktop doesnt stay on; Toggle immediately switches back to off.

Remote Desktop doesnt stay on; Toggle immediately switches back to off.: Ive tried going through CMD, settings, Reg Edit, Messing with network settings, ect to make remote desktop stay on. But still, every time I try to turn it on, it turns back off instantly. Any Advice???PC Specs:Windows 10 Pro - 21H2Ryzen 7 3700xEVGA 2070 Super32gb Corsair...
  6. Remote Desktop doesnt stay on; Toggle immediately switches back to off.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. how to create an area that doesn't upload to onedrive but stays on my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to create an area that doesn't upload to onedrive but stays on my desktop: i dont have enough onedrive space and i need to download something but I cant find a way to prevent it from uploading to onedrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-an-area-that-doesnt-upload-to/35bc5c8a-21ee-49e3-b8ef-917d51469fea
  8. how to create an area that doesn't upload to onedrive but stays on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to create an area that doesn't upload to onedrive but stays on my desktop: i dont have enough onedrive space and i need to download something but I cant find a way to prevent it from uploading to onedrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-an-area-that-doesnt-upload-to/35bc5c8a-21ee-49e3-b8ef-917d51469fea
  9. how to create an area that doesn't upload to onedrive but stays on my desktop

10. Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop Keyboard and Mouse not staying connected.

Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop Keyboard and Mouse not staying connected.: Hi there, I have a Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop Keyboard and Mouse I can see that they are paired with the computer but they are not staying connected. Can someone please help me?...