Windows 10: Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons

Discus and support Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I do a selection (click and drag) the space that I selected turns my desktop background black. When my cursor goes over an icon, a black square... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LenyM, Oct 4, 2019.

1. LenyM Win User

Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons

When I do a selection (click and drag) the space that I selected turns my desktop background black.

When my cursor goes over an icon, a black square appears behind it.

Also, when I drag an icon around on the desktop, all of the background turns black.

All of this started happening after I pressed a lot of keys at the same time by pressing the keys with my whole hand. I've looked for it on a lot of forums already and I tried every solution to similar problems but it never worked.
    I really need help! Please.
    I don't know if this can be usefull but I don't have a Windows key so Windows isn't activated on my computer.

And here are my specs if needed:
    GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11go
    CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (not overclocked)

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16go DDR4 2666Hz

Motherboard: MSI x470 Gaming

:)

LenyM, Oct 4, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

All of my desktop shortcut icons have turned black.

I first deleted my Explorer thumbnail cache and then my icon cache. I did not get the icons back to normal until after I deleted the icon cache.

But after I shut down and restarted the black icons were back. I went through this twice and both time they came back after I shut down and turned the laptop back on.

How do I get rid of these black icons permanently?

idahosurge, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons Are Black

Thanks, but same results. That gets the icons back, but when I shut down and turn the laptop back on the black icons are back.

Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons [​IMG]

idahosurge, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Edwin Win User

Invisible Icon on desktop turns black

There are no 'truly' invisible icons in the Windows system, you need to search the web for one.
    (I think they're created from a completely transparent bitmap image, then assigned an .ico extension, or sumpthin like that, I can't remember!)

Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons - Similar Threads - Desktop turning black

2. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  3. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  4. Black desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop Icons: Been fighting this problem for a while now and tried everything I could find. Today I came here and found a file to restore the shortcut icon arrow and now all is fine, so far. My question is who at MS thought that a shortcut arrow was a good idea? Also, has anybody tried to...
  5. desktop turns black

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop turns black: I have this problem lately where my desktop just turns black a while....I also when this happens unable to move my mouse cursor. But strange thing is the windows i have open just show....even when video playing in it, the video keeps playing, i cannot do anything though,...
  6. PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares: Hi all. My Windows 10 Pro x64 computer (v. 10.0.19042, Build 19042) has developed an odd problem. The desktop icon for PDF files (a wallpaper image of the first page of the file), turns to black after a period of time. If I right-click on the desktop, select "Display...
  7. Icons and Background turn black?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons and Background turn black?: I have an ASUS TUF GAMING FX504 Series laptop, which I got about a year and a half ago. Over the past couple months, sometimes when I hover over an icon, it turns black. If I highlight my desktop, that turns black too. Why does this happen and how can I fix this?...
  8. Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop: Here is the issue. This just started happening recently. Coincidentally, it started happening after the latest Nvidia driver download. Just wanted to see if anyone recognizes this issue and would know how to fix it. Specs below CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Pro...
  9. Invisible Icon on desktop turns black

in Windows 10 Support
    Invisible Icon on desktop turns black: I wanted to display a brief text message on the desktop, so (cleverly) created a shortcut, then changed the title to my string and found an invisible icon in Imageres.ico. Worked great until I restarted explorer. The invisible icon became black and would not change until I...
  10. Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons: Hi, I just had this problem earlier. I had this Folder that has a Black Square behind it. I tried refreshing and it didn't work. I tried moving my files from that folder into another it worked. Deleting it and After refreshing, 4 folders have been affected by this problem....