Windows 10: Desktop .txt file or .rtf file displaying "directory name is invalid" error.

Discus and support Desktop .txt file or .rtf file displaying "directory name is invalid" error. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For reference, I am using an MSI GS65 with i9-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 16 GB 2666 MHz RAM. I have not updated my Windows version recently, but I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sebastian712, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Desktop .txt file or .rtf file displaying "directory name is invalid" error.

For reference, I am using an MSI GS65 with i9-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 16 GB 2666 MHz RAM.

I have not updated my Windows version recently, but I noticed that when I try to open a .txt file or a .rtf file from my DESKTOP meaning the place where all of my application windows are, and the thing that you put a background over, right above the task bar I get an error file saying "The directory name is invalid". I can open the file by right clicking on it, and clicking the "open with" option, using the same application as the default. I can also open the file by entering File Explorer>Desktop and double clicking the file, or, also in file explorer, going to This PC > C:\ > Users > sebas > Desktop and double clicking the desired file. For some reason, trying to open .txt files or .rtf files on the actual desktop gives me the "directory name is invalid" error. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Anything would be much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

Sebastian712, Oct 21, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

rtf. file

Hi Michelle,

Some documents when saved takes up space due to its components. For us to help you with your concern, we'd like to know if your rtf file has images on it.

Meanwhile, if your rtf file has pure texts, we suggest that you follow the steps below to reduce the size of your rtf file:

• Compose your rtf file in Microsoft Word.
    • Instead of saving, copy and paste your composition to WordPad. All the formatting is copied over too.
    • Save the document with WordPad, and you'll get a significantly smaller file.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Oct 21, 2020
  3. BAT file/Script to find and replace files

So you have a directory containing both random named ZIP files and consistently named TXT files and you want to apply the TXT file naming patern to the ZIP files where the 5-digit numbers match? Are there sub-directories? Are all the ZIP file names in that pattern (#####_Example_720p.zip) and all the TXT files in that pattern (RAT_Example_#####_24f_ONO.txt)?

FordGT90Concept, Oct 21, 2020
  4. dark2099 Win User

Desktop .txt file or .rtf file displaying "directory name is invalid" error.

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Desktop .txt file or .rtf file displaying "directory name is invalid" error.

1. Desktop .txt file or .rtf file displaying "directory name is invalid" error. - Similar Threads - Desktop txt file

2. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  3. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  4. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Directory Name Invalid error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory Name Invalid error: Every time i try to open any file on my desktop word files, pdfs, etc the error message "The directory name is invalid" appears. Most of the time this issue appears with external drives and USB and not with the actual computer's drive itself. I have tried updating the drive...
  6. 'Directory name is invalid' error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'Directory name is invalid' error: Just recently, the past 2 or 3 days, I have been getting this error when selecting items from my desktop. If I go to the directory and select the file, it works fine. It seems to have started after I removed my desktop from onedrive....
  7. The Directory Name Is Invalid

The Directory Name Is Invalid: Today I updated this laptop. Now all I see for the last 5 hours is this message: The directory name is invalid error message won't stop since I updated this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What do I have to clear or change or reset to get this to stop showing up,...
  8. The directory name is invalid ?

The directory name is invalid ?: Does anyone know the solution for the error 'The directory name is invalid '? I get this error whenever I put a cd or dvd in the cd/dvd rom drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/ec110e94-85e6-470b-b771-45b5ff46e3cc
  9. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is...
  10. directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    directory name is invalid: Hi I have just got this new desktop pc. After an update I am getting this annoying message, E:/ The directory name is invalid. I don't know what I have done. I did anything. I searched Google and found a post on this forum but I can't find the actual answer to the post. Just...