Windows 10: Desktop unlocking puzzle

Discus and support Desktop unlocking puzzle in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a GKChain Gatekeeper device. It consists of a USB dongle and a separate battery powered key which I keep on my belt. I suspect the key and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Swifty Win User

Desktop unlocking puzzle

I have a GKChain Gatekeeper device. It consists of a USB dongle and a separate battery powered key which I keep on my belt. I suspect the key and dongle communicate via BlueTooth protocol, but I may well be wrong. It makes no difference though.

The USB device locks my desktop when the signal from the key falls below a pre-set level. When the signal comes back, it unlocks my desktop (by knowing my ID and password).

However, the unlocking sequence seems a little erratic. I can approach my PC, and I hear the "Notification" sound, which I presume is associated with the Desktop Unlock event. Usually, the desktop unlocks, as it should. But occasionally, I end up at the login screen instead, and am obliged to select my userid and enter my password. The whole point of installing the Gatekeeper was to avoid having to enter my password... (whilst remaining secure)

It's hard to see what might be going on, as I use the desktop lock/unlock events to trigger a program which turns the display power off/on as appropriate. I'm going to suppress the display off part of my program after I've submitted this thread, in case it sheds light on what's going on.

In the interim, does anyone have any suggestions why I should be getting the sound that I associate with Desktop Unlock, but without the desktop locking?

Might I find some clues in the system Event Log?

:)

Swifty, Aug 19, 2016
  2. day123wr Win User

Unable to unlock next puzzle in Microsoft mahjong

Original Title: Microsoft mahjong

I let Microsoft update my computer to windows 10, which added new puzzles to mahjong.(wow) I have played one new game and won, over and over. The next new puzzle has not unlocked in any of the categories (easy, medium, hard, or expert). When I click on
    these it says I must complete the puzzle before it, which I have repeatedly. How do I get these new puzzles to unlock?

day123wr, Aug 19, 2016
  3. Microsoft Ultimate Word Games-Crosswords Daily Challenge

Hi,

There's the crossword puzzle that has several little keys in it. Each time you answer the crossword question and click the little green button to check the answer, if it is correct it will unlock one of the letters in the mystery puzzle. (usually the first
    few are to unlock the lock which will countdown until the lock is opened.) Then it's just a matter of completing enough of the original crossword puzzle to get the answer to the mystery clue.

I hope that helps.

PatriciaPettie, Aug 19, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Desktop unlocking puzzle

What does it show the signal strength as and what range is it set to is the battery ok

Samuria, Aug 19, 2016
  5. Swifty Win User
    I replaced the battery this morning, so it's showing "good".
    The key is on my right hip, the USB dongle about arm's length to my right (plugged into front of PC) and the signal strength is around 80%

At this juncture, I suspect we should all wait until I've tried a few experiments. I apologise for posting before I'd collected the facts.

I've stopped my program from turning the display power off when the Gatekeeper locks my PC, but something is turning off the display less than a minute after the desktop locks... my power settings were turning the display off after 1 hour, but I increased that to 5 hours. The display still blanked soon after Gatekeeper locked the desktop.

I think my next step is to find out why my display is blanking after the desktop locks.

Swifty, Aug 19, 2016
  6. Helios Win User
    Swifty,
    I'd recommend reaching out to the manufacturer. Maybe they can offer some assistance.

Helios, Aug 22, 2016
  7. Swifty Win User
    Therein lies the heart of my problem, there are two suppliers: GKChain and Microsoft. The law of mixing suppliers states"The number of problems that you get in a system is proportional to 2 to the power of the number of suppliers."

I'll start with GKChain. They admitted that their trace recording "leaves something to be desired" and would be upgraded in some future date. Then, I might be able to get a handle on the problem. At the moment, I don't know if the Gatekeeper software is failing to issue the unlock request, or it is being issued, but not honoured.

My apologies for the delay in replying; there have been other matters on my mind.

Swifty, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop unlocking puzzle

1. Desktop unlocking puzzle - Similar Threads - Desktop unlocking puzzle

2. how to unlock my desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to unlock my desktop: i mistakenly locked my desktop while trying to disable location. now i can't sign in. the error says an administrator must sign in. I am the administrator and the desktop is across the room from my laptop which i am using now. my pin doesn't work and there is no place to sign...
  3. how to unlock my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to unlock my desktop: i mistakenly locked my desktop while trying to disable location. now i can't sign in. the error says an administrator must sign in. I am the administrator and the desktop is across the room from my laptop which i am using now. my pin doesn't work and there is no place to sign...
  4. how to unlock my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. problems w desktop icons and progress in jigsaw puzzles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems w desktop icons and progress in jigsaw puzzles: Hello,I recently moved from a desktop running Windows 10 to a Surface Pro running Window 11. I have encountered several problems.I cannot create desktop icons for frequently used apps. How do I create desktop icon shortcuts for my frequently used apps?I have played Microsoft...
  6. problems w desktop icons and progress in jigsaw puzzles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problems w desktop icons and progress in jigsaw puzzles: Hello,I recently moved from a desktop running Windows 10 to a Surface Pro running Window 11. I have encountered several problems.I cannot create desktop icons for frequently used apps. How do I create desktop icon shortcuts for my frequently used apps?I have played Microsoft...
  7. Puzzled by sizes of Windows Apps folders on my desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Puzzled by sizes of Windows Apps folders on my desktops: Two desktop computers running Windows 10 Pro 20H2, with the exact same apps listed in Apps and Features. On computer A, C\Program Files\Windows Apps is 5.58GB; on computer B, the same folder is only 1.5GB. How do I pare down the computer A tree? ( Sub-question: Does the size...
  8. unlock desktop icon settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    unlock desktop icon settings: My icons on my desktop are locked....new computer.... I want to unlock them, re position them, the lock them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unlock-desktop-icon-settings/c7cf1c80-687c-4c26-8d12-f9766fd34608
  9. puzzled..

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    puzzled..: I ve windows 10 with windows defender security on. I was trying to find out why the firewall isnt coming on when everything else was on. after trying what I thought, I accidently turned the windows defender security to an earlier programme (I think). Everything now has gone...
  10. unlock desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    unlock desktop icons: Please help! I'm trying to unlock my desktop icons in windows 10. (They just recently locked on me during an update...) I can still use the apps, but I can't arrange them how I want. The boxes are NOT checked for align to grid or align to grid. I restarted my computer. What...