Windows 10: Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images. Virus????

Discus and support Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images. Virus???? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello and thanks for your assistance in advance. I have a Windows 10 machine with McAfee LiveSafe protecting the OS. Last month out of the blue my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tj_107, Apr 6, 2021.

1. tj_107 Win User

Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images. Virus????

Hello and thanks for your assistance in advance.

I have a Windows 10 machine with McAfee LiveSafe protecting the OS. Last month out of the blue my desktop wallpaper changed from the standard windows desktop to a picture of a baby yoda with a purple background. Didn't think much about it until I noticed the same image at a client site and I just plugged into their network an hour before. I then went into my VM on the same machine and found the desktop was change to the same image there. I immediately removed my PC and did several virus scans. I also called McAfee support which took the file and analyzed it and found no issues as well as examining my laptop and found no issues. I then changed back the desktop and forgot about it. It then changed about 3 weeks later to another image that was something that I never put on my computer. Again changed it back. Third time 2 weeks later and now its a picture of a Pandaloon Easter catsee image 1. It is obviously an image someone has unprofessionally taken.

The registry setting is as follows:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\themes\roamedthemefiles\desktopbackground\easter cat.jpg

The file create date for easter cat.jpg was just minutes before I noticed it changed my desktop.

Anyone know what the roamedthemefiles are and how these pictures are getting there? If i delete them, a new one will come up within weeks. Again, no virus's or rootkits/malware found with AV and other Malware software.

Thanks Again,

TJ

Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images.  Virus???? [​IMG]

:)

tj_107, Apr 6, 2021

2. Desktop wallpaper for new users

Hi Alaa,

Setting default users lets you specify the wallpaper on user's desktops and prevents other users from changing the image or its presentation. You can check these steps on how to set wallpapers from all users:

• Type run on the search bar and press Enter.
    • On the window, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
    • Locate and click Administrative Templates.
    • Select Desktop > Desktop > Desktop Wallpaper.
    • Tick Enabled, and name your wallpaper.
    • Select Apply and click OK.

After performing the steps above, you may restart your PC.

Let us know the outcome. We will be glad to assist you.

Justine Pel, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    My desktop wallpaper changes itself with unknown pictures.

Hi,

This might be caused by software conflicts. For us to provide a solution suited to your wallpaper concern, we need the following information:

• Are you the only one using the PC?
    • Were there any recent changes to your device prior to the issue, like an update?
    • How did you set the wallpaper before?

In the meantime, try performing a clean boot to help eliminate software conflicts. Refer to this
    article on how to perform a clean boot.

Try changing the background once done as well. Right-click on the desktop >
    Personalize
    > Background. Select any image you want and set it. Then see if the same error will occur.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images. Virus????

unable to change the lock screen Wallpaper.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Are you facing issues while trying to change the lock screen Wallpaper?

• Are you not able to choose the directory where the wallpapers has been saved?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to restart the computer and check if you are able to successfully change the lock screen wallpaper.

• From Desktop, right click and select
      Personalize

• In Personalization window, click on
      Lock Screen
      in the left pane.

• And choose wallpaper you would like to apply for the lock screen by choosing the browse option.

• Close the Personalization window.
    If the issue still persists, please do reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images. Virus????

1. Desktop Wallpaper Changes To Unknown Images. Virus???? - Similar Threads - Desktop Wallpaper Changes

2. Change desktop wallpaper with phone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change desktop wallpaper with phone?: exactly what the title says (is there an app?). Surprisingly I couldn't find a single post regarding this topic. submitted by /u/Qryza [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m3f45o/change_desktop_wallpaper_with_phone/
  3. Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing: I hope I am posting this in the right Forum. For some reason on my computers if I set different Wallpaper it changes to the same on all computers. Why does this happen? The only time I login to Microsoft is Microsoft Store. I thought I was not logged in on my account. Maybe...
  4. Wallpaper changing into old images help

Wallpaper changing into old images help: whenever I finish playing games or restarting my background wallpaper changes into old picture or rock band pictures that I haven't installed in my pc I tried unsyncing and changing my wallpaper into solid colors and still it changes I need help submitted by /u/KaRL_aYaG...
  5. Slideshow image not showing up in desktop wallpaper

Slideshow image not showing up in desktop wallpaper: Hello everyone, I posted this question because of a problem I'm experiencing with the desktop slideshow wallpaper. I put 14 images into the folder chose for the background and 13 of them work. The third image, named "3.png" in the folder, does not show up on the desktop....
  6. Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing: I hope I am posting this in the right Forum. For some reason on my computers if I set different Wallpaper it changes to the same on all computers. Why does this happen? The only time I login to Microsoft is Microsoft Store. I thought I was not logged in on my account. Maybe...
  7. My desktop wallpaper changed itself with unknown pictures

My desktop wallpaper changed itself with unknown pictures: I had a very strange experience a few minutes ago. I played my favorite song which is from One Direction but suddenly when I minimize all the windows, my desktop wallpaper changed with One Direction picture. All members of One Direction were there which made me having a...
  8. Wallpaper changed on its own, virus?

Wallpaper changed on its own, virus?: I was at my computer with my desktop open and all of the sudden my desktop background changed from a Hollow Knight screenshot to a cat with a sombrero. I think this is a virus causing the problem, since it's been a recurring thing every few months. Anyone know what's going...
  9. Wallpaper images

Wallpaper images: I installed a group of images from Microsoft over the weekend. This download comprises pictures of beautiful places. The images cycle through. I don't like this feature and wish to remove them. Where do I find them?...
  10. Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper

Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper: I'm getting frustrated with this. No matter what I do I can't get to change the desktop wallpaper/background on windows 10. When I open a pic in ACDsee and set it as a wallpaper it doesn't change a thing. All I have is a solid color. Can someone help me with this please. TIA...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MY PC CHANGING WALLPAPER TO AN UNKNOWN PICTURE