Windows 10: Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay

Discus and support Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, every time when I right-click the desktop, there is a 10 second delay before the context menu is shown. After the menu is visible my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vulgarito, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Vulgarito Win User

Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay

Hi all, every time when I right-click the desktop, there is a 10 second delay before the context menu is shown. After the menu is visible my desktop wallpaper turns black when highlighting the desktop (black squares) or hovering over icons. Desktop wallpaper will return to original state after a couple minutes.

My device is a newly imaged Lenovo Carbon laptop (Windows 10), with all driver updates from Lenovo, and all latest Windows Updates incl drivers/firmware installed. My context menu does not have any applications (already checked via ShellExView and registry checked on shellex\ContextMenuHandlers). This is a basic build with no Nvidia drivers installed, and disk/file integrity checks already conducted.

Will also note, the desktop wallpaper is applied via group policies and cannot be changed. Any other pointers that I may check, before considering re-installing Windows?

Thanks.

:)

Vulgarito, Jan 3, 2018

2. Dual Monitor Setup - Windows 10 randomly changes wallpaper order

Hello all

I have a dual monitor setup running Windows 10 where my primary screen i horizontal and my secondary screen is oriented vertically.

I used the method of selecting two images (CTRL + left mouse click), right clicked the secondly selected image (vertical wallpaper) and chose "set as desktop background" in the context menu, to set my desktop backgrounds (wallpapers), which sets the wallpapers
    correctly... but after an arbitrary amount of time parses the wallpaper changes - either switching the wallpapers around or setting the wallpaper of the primary monitor as the wallpaper of both monitors.

PS.: The cycling of wallpapers is turned off.

Martin Bornhøft, Jan 3, 2018
  3. Suddz Win User
    Windows 10 desktop turned black suddenly.

I am using HP 15-au114tx laptop. It has Windows 10 on it. All has been working totally fine when I desired to change the wallpaper today after a long time. But nothing happened but the desktop turned black. Only wallpaper
    I can have now is the one I was having or the first theme from the custom theme installed. Otherwise the desktop turns black. Looking forward to a solution. Thank You.

Suddz, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay

Have you followed the instructions at below link i know you said you have used the ShellExView program but i just want to make sure you did correctly.

Using ShellExView to Determine the Problematic Extension

Boot your computer into Safe Mode and let us know issue resolves.

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please type cmd.exe into Start Menu search box.
    • Please right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".
    • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
    • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
    • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
    • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
    • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately. I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
    • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file.

FreeBooter, Jan 3, 2018
  5. Vulgarito Win User
    I have rechecked ShellExView and there were only two items which have been disabled with the same results. They were '7zip' and 'TheDesktopConextMenu Class igfxDTCM Module'.

sfc scan was already conducted previously with no errors.

Same problems occurs when logging in with a different user account. Will check safe mode and tinker with wallpaper gpo.

Vulgarito, Jan 3, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Shellexview doesn't show all shell extensions.
    Try also Shellmenuview, and failing that, Autoruns (both free).

However your description doesn't sound exactly like a shell extension related crash; you might even consider your graphics driver. Some people who've experienced explorer crashing have found they have needed to use an OLDER driver.

Safe Mode would mean, of course, you're using a basic graphics driver.

dalchina, Jan 3, 2018
  7. Vulgarito Win User
    Finally got this sorted. Issue was associated with device not accessing gpo's over wifi (tied to wallpaper access). After the correct permissions (rules) have been made, then context menu appeared instantly.

Thanks all for your time.

Vulgarito, Jan 3, 2018
  8. Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay

We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay

1. Desktop wallpaper turns black after context menu delay - Similar Threads - Desktop wallpaper turns

2. Domain users: Desktop Wallpaper turning black.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain users: Desktop Wallpaper turning black.: hello,I am a system administrator for the company i work for. My boss wanted me to add a specific wallpaper for all the computers in our domain. So I activated and changed all the wallpapers with GPO. At the start everything seems to work fine. After a day or two some users...
  3. Domain users: Desktop Wallpaper turning black.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Domain users: Desktop Wallpaper turning black.: hello,I am a system administrator for the company i work for. My boss wanted me to add a specific wallpaper for all the computers in our domain. So I activated and changed all the wallpapers with GPO. At the start everything seems to work fine. After a day or two some users...
  4. Domain users: Desktop Wallpaper turning black.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Wallpaper on second monitor turns black after logging in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wallpaper on second monitor turns black after logging in: Just fresh installed windows 10 yesterday, and now anytime I log into windows, the wallpaper on my second monitor is just a black background until I open start menu. I haven't even touched any settings settings since I restored it, how could this even happen? I've reinstalled...
  6. delayed action to open sub context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delayed action to open sub context menu: After opening the context menu there is a 20 second delay to open 'New' in the sub context menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delayed-action-to-open-sub-context-menu/6d869444-2fdb-44ce-951b-ab5c93cf6fba"
  7. Desktop wallpaper nows turns black every time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop wallpaper nows turns black every time: Every time I click the desktop button [the one next to Action Center] , My desktop turns black, but when I minimise chrome for example the background is still there. I tried bunch of tutorials online, nothing fixed it. This only occurs when pressing the desktop button, and I...
  8. Context menu on the desktop

Context menu on the desktop: How do I recover a lost right-click drop-down context menu on the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/context-menu-on-the-desktop/21749250-49ca-4520-b839-f24d49c95a6a
  9. Black Context Menu for Taskbar and Old Context Menu for Desktop

Black Context Menu for Taskbar and Old Context Menu for Desktop: Hello. Today I got an update, and I noticed afterwards that the Windows 10 context menu when you right click the desktop went back to the old version and not the Windows 10 version. Also, the context menu for right clicking in the taskbar turned black in the background. Not...
  10. No context menu on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    No context menu on desktop icons: I just upgraded my Win 7 Pro desktop to Windows 10 Professional (32-bit). Minor problems, as usual, when a new system is installed, but a specific one is getting me crazy. When I click on any desktop icon, I do NOT get the traditional context menu, but the whole screen turns...