Windows 10: Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot

Discus and support Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all, As in title, desktop looks terrible when using HDR. reds look orange, etc. "washed out" seems to express this phenomenon well. this always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jareff, Sep 24, 2020.

1. jareff Win User

Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot

Hi all,

As in title, desktop looks terrible when using HDR. reds look orange, etc. "washed out" seems to express this phenomenon well. this always happens after boot. turning the monitor off & on fixes the problem, as does opening Display Settings and turning HDR off & on.

Quite annoying - any ideas would be great!

Windows version 2004(OS Build 19041.508)

Thanks~~

:)

jareff, Sep 24, 2020
  2. Cliff S Win User

HDR and Washed out colors

Turn on dynamic full range for your GPU

Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot [​IMG]

Turn off the HDR crap in Windows:

If a game supports HDR, like Mass Effect Andromeda, it will automatically detect your TV supports it and switches it on, and you can verify it is on in the settings of games that support HDR, usually it will say on or off.

And lastly it will all depend on what kind of HDR your screen supports: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision and Advanced HDR by Technicolor.

Cliff S, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Cliff S Win User

Does your monitor have any software for it?
    Check the support page for new divers, color calibration software, and the ICC profile istaller.

That reminds me, check in control panel to make sure you have the color profile set for that monitor, and not some Windows default one like sRGB.
    Both my monitors have the ICC color profiles set

Cliff S, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot

What's up guys so my new monitor is HDR compatible however whenever I enable HDR in games, it makes them look terrible. The colors are super washed out, the brights are dull and the blacks are boosted to like a grey-ish. I've updated the monitor firmware and installed the latest driver for it. Right now, my normal color settings look more HDR then HDR it's self, lol. I've tried 3 games- BF5, FC5, and AC Odyssey. All with the same results.

N00berG00ber, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot

1. Desktop washed out when HDR is on.. but only after boot - Similar Threads - Desktop washed HDR

2. HDR setting on monitor causing washed out screenshots on Chrome only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR setting on monitor causing washed out screenshots on Chrome only: SHDR hurts the eyes a bit so hopefully there's a solution. I only see this washed out issue occur on chrome browsers for some reason - and it's recent too past two days.Screen shots and snips show up as exceptionally washed out with low contrast on chrome but not on mozilla....
  3. HDR setting on monitor causing washed out screenshots on Chrome only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR setting on monitor causing washed out screenshots on Chrome only: SHDR hurts the eyes a bit so hopefully there's a solution. I only see this washed out issue occur on chrome browsers for some reason - and it's recent too past two days.Screen shots and snips show up as exceptionally washed out with low contrast on chrome but not on mozilla....
  4. HDR setting on monitor causing washed out screenshots on Chrome only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. windows 11 hdr colors are washed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 hdr colors are washed out: so i have windows 11 and i have hdr turned on and i get really washed out colors btw hdr is enabled on the monitor and i dont know exactly like whats the problem as my monitor is 409 nits bright as hdr says so i cant tell what could be the problem...
  6. windows 11 hdr colors are washed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 hdr colors are washed out: so i have windows 11 and i have hdr turned on and i get really washed out colors btw hdr is enabled on the monitor and i dont know exactly like whats the problem as my monitor is 409 nits bright as hdr says so i cant tell what could be the problem...
  7. Blurry and washed out colours when HDR in windows is turn on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blurry and washed out colours when HDR in windows is turn on: HiPlease advise if HDR enabled in windows should change my display colours to juicy one ? I'm new to HDR and anyhelp will be much appreciated. ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report: 5/21/2021, 22:28:07 Machine name: DESKTOP-MLQH8O3...
  8. Washed out HDR

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Washed out HDR: Hi I'm curious and wonder how many of you have made HDR work properly? I've tried most things I can try and can't get HDR to work, switched PCs, 3 different monitors, different DP cables, formatted PCs and all tests resurfaced the same with washed colors. Windows 10 bad...
  9. HDR washed out looking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR washed out looking: It seems to be a bug going back years now, but is there any way to get HDR mode looking normal and not super washed out? Fullscreen game HDR works fine, but desktop HDR looks like trash. submitted by /u/XSSpants [link] [comments]...
  10. HDR and Washed out colors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDR and Washed out colors: What's up guys so my new monitor is HDR compatible however whenever I enable HDR in games, it makes them look terrible. The colors are super washed out, the brights are dull and the blacks are boosted to like a grey-ish. I've updated the monitor firmware and installed the...