Windows 10: Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network

Discus and support Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just replaced my Win7 desktop PC with a Win10 PC and I'm trying to access my Win7 laptop over my network (wired). I can see the laptop in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Involute, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Involute Win User

Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network

I just replaced my Win7 desktop PC with a Win10 PC and I'm trying to access my Win7 laptop over my network (wired). I can see the laptop in File Explorer, and when I click on it I can see the drives and top level folders, but if I click on any of them I get a Network Error: "Windows Cannot Access" the laptop (I don't have permission). The first time I tried this, it asked for my laptop credentials, which I entered, and I gained access. Not anymore. What am I supposed to do? Thanks.

Btw, I'm doing this so I can use the ancient SyncToy to sync the two machines. If someone know of a better way with Win10, please chime in.

:)

Involute, Mar 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Store version can't use printer

I have a Lexmark X2470 color printer I use over network, I can not get any drivers to work even generic Windows print drivers will not install. After adding printer, which also won't work half the time it seems the permissions keep reverting to deny although
    it's setup allow from everyone, the drivers never install. I have once got it to work and printed a test page but after a few minutes it stopped again and I can not get it to work since. Other issues with everything on the network is not accessible from this
    WS running Win10 but is from all other devices, the same issue permissions are always set to deny although on the devices permissions are set to allow (Win7). There seems to be a compatibility issue between Win7 and Win10 permissions over network connections
    and sharing.

DonaldDion, Mar 17, 2017
  3. network shared access

all settings on desktop are correct for network sharing. desktop visible on laptop, but access denied.

both computers win 10.

desktop can access files on laptop without issue.

help!!

GordMenzies, Mar 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Make sure that if you have a Firewall turned on or any security software, that it is not showing Public. Also make sure that both computers are Private for network adapters and that Advance File Sharing is set up properly. The other is to make sure that Workgroup is what both computers are under for their workgroup. As for using Synctoy, no need to use it and really you do not want to sync both machines. If you just want to share files, then use a cloud service or a NAS on your network.

bro67, Mar 17, 2017
  5. Involute Win User
    I only use my laptop when I travel, which is only occasionally. I don't want to have to think about what I files are current on my laptop, or which ones I'll need. The alternative to syncing is dragging everything in My Documents back and forth between the laptop and desktop/NAS/cloud. At 1 TB, that's a big hassle when there may only be 100 files that need to be sync'd to bring the laptop up to date. SyncToy is perfect.

Involute, Mar 19, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    The only way to make the files up to date and accessible by both machines is to use a cloud drive or a USB drive. There is no other way to do it when you are off of your own network. I can sync to my Synology NAS, because Synology offers the ability to do so while off of my network. I tend to just keep files in my iCloud folder so that I can just access them by my iPhone and MacBook or through icloud.com.

bro67, Mar 19, 2017
  7. Involute Win User
    SyncToy works over the network, one computer to another. It runs on Win10, I just can't get either machine to see the other over the network.

Involute, Mar 19, 2017
  8. Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network

Go Control Panel. User Accounts>Manage Credentials>Windows Credentials. Click Add a Windows Credential. Enter name of computer you need to access. Enter User Name, Enter Password. That should do it. It did for me after spending days looking at all the bad advice. This has nothing to do with system file corruption, firewalls, network adapters, Safe Boot, etc. It's simply this setting.

TwogunPete, Jul 16, 2017
    TwogunPete, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network - Similar Threads - Desktop Win10 denying

2. Win10 and win7 network woes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 and win7 network woes: Hi, I have 3 pc's in a network, 2 are running windows 10 and 1 is running windows7 When I had just 2 connected win10 and win 7 both could see each other and exchange files without issue. Occasionally however the win7 machine would struggle to see the win10 machine....
  3. can't access laptop over home network

can't access laptop over home network: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2 on both a desktop and laptop. The desktop has an ethernet connection to the WiFi/router. The laptop is connected wirelessly. The laptop can see the desktop and access its files. The desktop can see the laptop under >Network in File...
  4. Network access denied

Network access denied: I have a small network only two computers. I can see and access files on pc2 from pc1. but can not access files on pc1 from pc2. I got always the message you have to request access permission. I use on both pc's the microsoft password....
  5. troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10

troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10: I think I have the discovery, encription, pwd off, c file system share settings on both, but the win10 system cannot see the win7 one, and the win7 one can see the win10 one, but says the access is not allowed. What can I check now? I will recheck the win10 c drive...
  6. Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers

Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers: I just updated my Windows 7 Pro laptop to Windows 10 Pro (1903) and now I can no longer see other computers on my home network. The others have both been Win10 machines for some time (recently updated to 1903) and I was able to see them in my Win7 network (via HomeGroup...
  7. Win10/Win7 Print Networking Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10/Win7 Print Networking Problem: I have a home network that was set up with all win7 machines and a HP LaserJet 4050 lpt printer attached to one of them. All machines had access thru the network to this one printer. I recently purchased a new win10 computer (Dell Precision 3630) to which I have attached the...
  8. Networking Win10 with Win7

Networking Win10 with Win7: how to connect a win 10 pc with a win 7 pc in a local network via wifi ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-win10-with-win7/31128bd4-e0ca-434b-9f02-73990826111c
  9. WIN10 Adminstrator Access denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN10 Adminstrator Access denied: I was trying to edit my host file which requires my administrator permission. But I was using my administrator account on my computer. when I try to solve it by open Computer Management's----local computer and groups, it says "it may not be used in this version of Win 10"...
  10. trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10

trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10: I have three computers (two are running Windows 7 and one is running Windows 10). I am trying to share files between the three machines. From both windows 7 machines, I can access all three machines. However, I cannot access either windows 7 machine from my windows 10...