Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager absurdly high memory usage

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager absurdly high memory usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently noticed Desktop Window Manager is using 60%+ of my Memory at any given time, even when I have literally nothing open except for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dave0711, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Dave0711 Win User

Desktop Window Manager absurdly high memory usage

Hi,

I've recently noticed Desktop Window Manager is using 60%+ of my Memory at any given time, even when I have literally nothing open except for the task manager. It hasn't caused any crashes as of yet but it's only a matter of time at that kind of memory use and I'm concerned it's going to lead to something I won't be able to fix.

I've done the usual - windows updates, virus scan, check graphics drivers, etc - and nothing has helped. Any advice which doesn't involve tampering with the inner workings of my laptop or doing resets would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Dave0711, Feb 11, 2021

2. System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Desktop Windows Manager High Memory Usage

Hi Jay,

This high memory usage could have happened due to multiple application running. If Windows 10 has features that are not working properly, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool to scan
    and correct any issues. System File Checker (SFC) is a built-in tool in the operating system. SFC checks for system file corruption. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a command-line tool that can be used to service a Windows image or to prepare
    a Windows Preinstallation Environment image.

Kindly follow the steps in this article posted by
    ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)
    to perform SFC and DISM:
    System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anthony Gal, Feb 11, 2021
  4. brain829 Win User

Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

It has been a few years now that this problem has been reported, are there any accepted fixes. From what I gather, even those individuals with serious graphics cards are vulnerable to dwm.exe dominating their available GPU. I myself report this issue, even
    on games and design software with the settings at a minimum. For example, Java will be using ~45% of the available GPU, whereas dwm.exe takes up the remaining ~55%. As stated previously, the result is the entire system halting, not just the game. The mouse
    will take a few seconds to stutter across the screen, and task manager will take 5+ seconds to even appear.

There have been many suggestions and no results. Is that Microsoft's consensus then? Thank you ahead of time.

brain829, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Desktop Window Manager absurdly high memory usage - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  3. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  4. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  5. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  6. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Desktop Window Manager high memory usage

Desktop Window Manager high memory usage: My Desktop Window Manager is normal upon boot but some time after I open up games it goes and stays up high. This is one example:It's not as bad as yesterday where my memory went up to 90% and it really never goes down even after closing my game. Sometimes it has caused my...
  8. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage

Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage: I've had an issue with Desktop Window Manager using up a lot of memory ever since updating my laptop ASUS ROG Zephyrus M with Intel Core i7 to Windows 10 version 20H2 back in March. This issue only occurs after booting up for the first time since a restart typically a day's...
  9. Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage

Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage: Memory usage of Desktop Window Manager increases over time, irrespective of the task. It consumes memory as high as 7GB.I have tried a lot of solutions nothing works. It would be great if someone could provide a working solution for that.Thanks...
  10. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.

Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.: Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe us using high memory sometimes it uses 1.5GB RAM. I have looked for many solutions but not worked for me. I have used these methods to fix memory usage. i have updated my graphics driver i have updated windows and windows apps i have closed...