Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, This is my first post on any kind of tech-support forum. Usually, 99% of the time i find a solution online, reading other threads,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by marin_stana, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on any kind of tech-support forum. Usually, 99% of the time i find a solution online, reading other threads, etc - but not for this issue.

As the title clearly states, I am experiencing high (really high) GPU spikes from desktop window manager & client server runtime - by really high I mean 90-100% GPU.

Some background info:

My device> Dell XPS 15, 9570, i7-8750H 6 cores, Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GTX 1050 Max-Q, 512GB SSD - bought 4 months ago.

My OS> Windows 10 Home, version 1809

I didn't have this issue until I upgraded to the 1809 version for that sweet dark mode, so there's that.

What causes the issue: simply opening anything (for example Chrome, file explorer, any game) will cause a GPU spike in those 2 departments, which freezes the laptop for a solid 10-15 seconds and then they go back to 0-5% usage.

What I did trying to fix the issue:

- troubleshoot the classic way, no issues found.

- reset & delete every file on the PC.

- delete my user profile, using another one.

- update my drivers, BIOS, etc.

- and a few more that I found on other threads.

So, what am I supposed to do?

:)

marin_stana, Feb 1, 2019

2. Cripplingly High GPU in Windows 10

Dave, the two processes apparently hogging all the GPU were desktop windows manager and client server runtime process.

However, when I list them now, after numerous reboots and reinstalls, no apps show up as consuming GPU, yet GPU is at 80-100%. I think this is because the apps are only consuming the 3D component of the GPU and not the others - copy, decode, processing or
    shared memory usage?

I've spent some time on Google and it seems to be a fairly common symptom but none of the suggested solutions are effective.

It doesn't seem to be linked to any significant changes, I even tried uninstalling the most recent windows updates.

Any thoughts?

Zorro Blade, Feb 1, 2019
  3. Lag Spikes caused by CPU usage drops and GPU usage spikes after Windows 10 April update

Since the April 10th update for Windows 10, my laptop has been suffering from lag spikes that occur during simple tasks such as browsing the internet.

When looking at the task manager during these spikes, I can see that the CPU usage drops to around 10% while the GPU usage increases to close to 100%. I looked at what programs were using large portions of the GPU which turned out to be the 'Desktop window
    manager' and the 'Client server runtime process'.

I've seen that other people have had a similar problem with the recent update, but not much in the way of solutions as of yet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jason

JasonWilcock, Feb 1, 2019
  4. Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

1. Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes! - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager: When leaving everything idle the GPU usage sits at 0% and when I move my mouse it can get up to 17% but when I scroll on a webpage it shoots all the way up to 80% to 100%. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and have downloaded updates and drivers. I also upgraded my...
  3. High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager: When leaving everything idle the GPU usage sits at 0% and when I move my mouse it can get up to 17% but when I scroll on a webpage it shoots all the way up to 80% to 100%. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and have downloaded updates and drivers. I also upgraded my...
  4. High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage: hey guys I installed windows on my pc recently and i got background Processes Like Client Server Runtime and Desktop Window Manager Started Using Around 5 - 10% Of My GPU 3D and When Scrolling It Goes Over To 40 - 50 % Usage and same issue when I'm watching YouTube or...
  6. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage: hey guys I installed windows on my pc recently and i got background Processes Like Client Server Runtime and Desktop Window Manager Started Using Around 5 - 10% Of My GPU 3D and When Scrolling It Goes Over To 40 - 50 % Usage and same issue when I'm watching YouTube or...
  7. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

8. Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process uses gpu.

Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process uses gpu.: Hi, I have a gaming laptop RTX 2060 and Ryzen 9 4900h with AMD RadeonTM Graphics. Yesterday, my laptop was getting a little hot so I decided to check the task manager. Then, I saw dwm.exe and csrss.exe using about 5~10% of integrated gpu. I searched other forums and saw many...
  9. High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and Client Server Runtime Process...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and Client Server Runtime Process...: Hi everyone! I recently downloaded a new game, but as I wanted to play said game I noticed my performance being lower than normal. I checked and found out that dwm.exe and csrss.exe at times claimed 1.2 gb of GPU-memory for themselved, rendering me unable to play my game...
  10. Client Server Runtime Process GPU spikes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Client Server Runtime Process GPU spikes: Hello, I've been having these GPU Spkies since some weeks, this started to happen when i updated to Windows 10 v1909 on the v1903 this didnt happened but it started to happen after some days i installed v1909 it mainly happens if i have a video playing the gpu just spikes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. programs in windows that cause gpu spikes

2. desktop window manager spike gpu

3. desktop window manager client runtime high gpu

4. desktop windows manager gpu spikes,
  5. desktop window manager spikes gpu