Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager - dwm.exe Crash

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager - dwm.exe Crash in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop seems to have caught a strange issue and the frequency is frustrating me. No app or hardware changes have been made,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HRao, Oct 9, 2020.

1. HRao Win User

Desktop Window Manager - dwm.exe Crash

My Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop seems to have caught a strange issue and the frequency is frustrating me. No app or hardware changes have been made, however, in the last month or so, the number of the times the dwm.exe crashes has significantly increased. Now they are almost every day or every other day. There is no dedicated graphics card. It is running on Windows 10 1909.

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: dwm.exe

Application Version: 10.0.18362.387

Application Timestamp: 8e064b77

Fault Module Name: dwmcore.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.18362.1049

Fault Module Timestamp: c9b6096f

Exception Code: c00001ad

Exception Offset: 000000000015b49a

OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 3d23

Additional Information 2: 3d236a54b97c908ed8bc0f614a8557b7

Additional Information 3: 659e

Additional Information 4: 659ea139115e880da9b4dc23b85be74d

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: fc3dc3efaac3b09376c55a3834c01efa 1640816836696088314

Previously -

Desktop Window Manager - dwm.exe Crash 9f1beeb5-a9af-4e8a-9271-430f184e0329?upload=true.png

Current:

Desktop Window Manager - dwm.exe Crash 9707f21e-6feb-4756-be6c-4745bcc25eed?upload=true.png

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts, I would greatly appreciate any help.

:)

HRao, Oct 9, 2020
  2. ricardobohner, Oct 9, 2020
  3. BobY5 Win User
    desktop window manager

Desktop Window Manager is not listed under services.msc. How can I get DWM back? Thank you.

BobY5, Oct 9, 2020
  4. BobENose Win User

Desktop Window Manager

I don't see any listing of DWM in Services

Nothing even close to the stated service:

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.

I suspect this is because DWM is always on since Windows 8.1 and cannot be enabled/disabled by the user

Desktop Window Manager is always on - Win32 apps

Something I would expect Microsoft employees to know.

I'm a bit disappointed, using a new Surface Pro 4, with Windows 10, all updates applied, virtually no additional software added, and in two days, DWM has crashed three times. Shouldn't Microsoft be able to get the hardware/software to work when its
    all from the same source?

BobENose, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Desktop Window Manager - dwm.exe Crash - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  4. DWM Desktop Window Manager crashes while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM Desktop Window Manager crashes while gaming: Since about two weeks back, I have frequent crashes playing various games, e.g. Fortnite. Suddenly during the game can be after 1 minute or 30 minutes, but usually not longer than that the screen goes black "monitor cannot find any input" and the audio disappears. The graphic...
  5. DWM Desktop Window Manager crashes while gaming

DWM Desktop Window Manager crashes while gaming: Since about two weeks back, I have frequent crashes playing various games, e.g. Fortnite. Suddenly during the game can be after 1 minute or 30 minutes, but usually not longer than that the screen goes black "monitor cannot find any input" and the audio disappears. The graphic...
  6. Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage: Since I have upgraded to windows 11 I have been facing an issue with desktop window manager dwm. It uses so much memory and the laptop heats up. How to fix this problem?...
  7. Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage

Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage: Since I have upgraded to windows 11 I have been facing an issue with desktop window manager dwm. It uses so much memory and the laptop heats up. How to fix this problem?...
  8. DWM RAM HIGH Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM RAM HIGH Desktop Window Manager: Hi, recently I have noticed that the memory usage is large for DWM on my lenovo legion gaming laptop. It could have used a large amount prior to me noticing it as I haven't really ever checked the task manager. It goes up to 250MB. Also just to note that the laptop won't have...
  9. Desktop Windows Manager DWM 5GB - High Memory Use

Desktop Windows Manager DWM 5GB - High Memory Use: Windows and its problems - literally never ending. Windows 10 is fully updated. Graphics driver is fully updated. DWM service memory usage keeps going up even after killing it and this time around it has peaked. I don't think there is any solution as DWM is part of...
  10. Dwm crashing

Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...