Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ever since 10/10, the Windows service "Desktop Window Manager" or DWM.exe has been taking up a lot of GPU processing. It can go as high as 12% or more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pezzop, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Pezzop Win User

Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources

Ever since 10/10, the Windows service "Desktop Window Manager" or DWM.exe has been taking up a lot of GPU processing. It can go as high as 12% or more during normal use, but the real problem is that it jumps as high as 50% usage during a game, severely reducing my performance. The problem gets worse the more demanding the game I'm playing is. That is, DWM's GPU usage increases with the GPU use of the game I'm playing. Games I could run at max settings at 80-120 FPS now drop down to 30 or less because this process is taking up a large chunk of my GPU.

I've been run through the whole gamut of level 1 help desk "cure all" solutions which solved nothing. Looking up the problem online had no solutions. As a service DWM.exe used to be able to be disabled, but apparently Win10 no longer allows that. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Nothing major or even minor was changed before the problem manifested, other than update KB4462919 being installed the night before.

My video drivers have been rolled back, reupdated, un- and reinstalled, I did a system restore to a point before the problem appeared, tried booting with all third party services disabled, and replicated the problem with a new test user account. I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and removed a few minor threats. I've tried clean boot.

Windows 10: Version 1803: Build 17134.345

Custom-built PC

Ryzen 1600X 6-core

16G RAM, DDR4

NVIDIA GTX 1070ti

M.2 SSD (boot drive), 2.5" SSD, 2TB HDD

All drivers are up to date.

I have a theory. When playing a game, Desktop Window Manager goes as high as it has been, but the game process itself stays very low (0.1% usage). I think that Desktop Window Manager is somehow routing all graphics through itself, which might be a major inefficiency.

:)

Pezzop, Oct 19, 2018

2. Desktop Windows Manager taking up high gpu

Desktop windows manager is taking up around 10%-80% of my gpu. This can be INCREDIBLY annoying when playing games, because it can lag to like 20 fps, or start freezing. I can't figure out the solution after clicking on almost every site google suggests.
    I tried changing the theme, which didn't work.

John Thomas Lamb, Oct 19, 2018
  3. Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Oct 19, 2018
  4. Rohn007 Win User

Desktop window manager takes up 70% of GPU while gaming

Go into Task Manager > Performance tab. On the left side of the tab, there is a stack of resources: Disk, Wifi, Ethernet, GPU.

Do you have more than one GPU identified?

If you do, then you should try to force DWM to use the built in (GPU0) video, freeing up the addin card for gaming. Here is an example of how that can be done:

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/forc...

Rohn007, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage: I upgraded to Windows 11 from a fresh install of Windows 10. When trying to play Assassins Creed Valhalla, the Desktop Window Manager sometimes reaches 70% GPU usage, and tops out my GPU at 100%. I have upgraded all of my drivers, including the intel graphics drivers and the...
  3. Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage: I upgraded to Windows 11 from a fresh install of Windows 10. When trying to play Assassins Creed Valhalla, the Desktop Window Manager sometimes reaches 70% GPU usage, and tops out my GPU at 100%. I have upgraded all of my drivers, including the intel graphics drivers and the...
  4. Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage: Since I have upgraded to windows 11 I have been facing an issue with desktop window manager dwm. It uses so much memory and the laptop heats up. How to fix this problem?...
  5. Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop window manager dwm high memory usage: Since I have upgraded to windows 11 I have been facing an issue with desktop window manager dwm. It uses so much memory and the laptop heats up. How to fix this problem?...
  6. dwm exe taking too much ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dwm exe taking too much ram: so, ive had this problem few weeks ago, and it annoys me because i had to restart almost everyday. hope someone could help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-exe-taking-too-much-ram/e8a7fb6d-a9c2-4c4a-b2e4-c6a4376104bf
  7. DWM RAM HIGH Desktop Window Manager

DWM RAM HIGH Desktop Window Manager: Hi, recently I have noticed that the memory usage is large for DWM on my lenovo legion gaming laptop. It could have used a large amount prior to me noticing it as I haven't really ever checked the task manager. It goes up to 250MB. Also just to note that the laptop won't have...
  8. Desktop Windows Manager DWM 5GB - High Memory Use

Desktop Windows Manager DWM 5GB - High Memory Use: Windows and its problems - literally never ending. Windows 10 is fully updated. Graphics driver is fully updated. DWM service memory usage keeps going up even after killing it and this time around it has peaked. I don't think there is any solution as DWM is part of...
  9. Windows desktop manager high GPU usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows desktop manager high GPU usage: I have seen lots of people asking this question, but nothing helped me to get rid of the problem, i bought a notebook few weeks ago i7 gtx 1550 Ti , and all my games were running fluently on medium-high settings. Now smth changed, im constantly getting lag spikes, fps...
  10. Desktop Window Manager High GPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU: For some reason, my dwm.exe is using alot of my GPU, which takes affect on GPU demanding games. Iv tried looking for solutions but all dont work so if anyone has a solution or recommends me something, let me know submitted by /u/Silv3rSk [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe high gpu

2. windows desktop manager using too much gpu

3. desktop window manager high gpu when playing youtube

4. dwm.exe using high resource,
  5. desktop window manager spikes gpu,
  6. desktop window manager using alot of gpu resourcse,
  7. dwm high gpu,
  8. high GPU usage by desktop window manager Intel forums,
  9. dwm taking a lot of gpu,
  10. dwm.exe Desktop Window Manager gpu,
  11. desktop window manager gpu spike,