Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have had an XPS 9570 for about 2 years or so. It's been great, however, recently I've had a problem that I've had a hell of time trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jmeush, Jun 15, 2020.

1. jmeush Win User

Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue

Hello,

I have had an XPS 9570 for about 2 years or so. It's been great, however, recently I've had a problem that I've had a hell of time trying to solve.

Lately, during GPU intensive tasks, something that the computer was easily able to handle previously, 2 windows processes will start to eat up a lot of GPU cycles to the point that it reaches 100% and the computer starts to stutter, or sometimes crash interly.

The primary culprit is the "Desktop Window Manager" with the "Client Server Runtime Process" as another problem process. As you can see in the below image, it's chewing up a ton of GRU resources, and all I'm doing is running a Teams call.

Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue b2dd2d74-4e6d-4eaa-9d8d-665e829d01f3?upload=true.png

Again, this is a new problem. I've heard rumblings that this may be an attempt by windows to thermal throttle.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Please see computer specs below:

XPS 15 9570
    370-AEFR
    132GB 2x16GB DDR4 2666MHz
    400-AXKC
    11TB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive
    490-BENP
    1NVIDIAR GeForceR GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5
    555-BCRM
    1Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2
    555-BEMX
    1XPS 15 Wireless Antenna
    555-BEKE
    1Killer 1535 Driver
    580-AHEJ
    1Backlit English Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
    619-AHCR
    1Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
    320-BCPD1Silver Machined Aluminum Back Cover
    338-BOMQ18th Generation IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H Processor 9M Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 6 cores
    391-BDSZ115.6" 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 InfinityEdge Anti-Reflective Touch IPS100% AdobeRGB 400-Nits display
    450-AHFL1130W Power Adapter
    451-BCGF16-Cell 97WHr Integrated

:)

jmeush, Jun 15, 2020

2. Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue

Desktop Windows Manager taking up high gpu

Desktop windows manager is taking up around 10%-80% of my gpu. This can be INCREDIBLY annoying when playing games, because it can lag to like 20 fps, or start freezing. I can't figure out the solution after clicking on almost every site google suggests.
    I tried changing the theme, which didn't work.

John Thomas Lamb, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue

1. Desktop Window Manager - GPU Issue - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU: Some have suggested redownloading Windows to fix this issue. HUGE WASTE OF TIMEI recommend downloading GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 517.48 September 27, 2022, until either Microsoft or Nvidia fixes the issue. The issue is the new Nvidia Driver Version 552.25 Release date:...
  3. Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU: Some have suggested redownloading Windows to fix this issue. HUGE WASTE OF TIMEI recommend downloading GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 517.48 September 27, 2022, until either Microsoft or Nvidia fixes the issue. The issue is the new Nvidia Driver Version 552.25 Release date:...
  4. Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage

Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage: Desktop Window Manager from 0 to 100+% load.I did: Full reinstall WindowsBios updateDriver delete and updateSafe modeCPU: i5 12400fGPU: RTX 3060 12GBI have this problem on laptop and pc....
  5. Desktop window manager GPU usage.

Desktop window manager GPU usage.: Hello, I recently encountered this issue when dwm.exe uses a high percentage of my iGPU, sometimes up to 75%. This is causing the CPU temperatures to rise quickly. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this and how to fix it ?Here's an example:...
  6. Desktop window manager GPU usage.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop window manager GPU usage.: Hello, I recently encountered this issue when dwm.exe uses a high percentage of my iGPU, sometimes up to 75%. This is causing the CPU temperatures to rise quickly. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this and how to fix it ?Here's an example:...
  7. Desktop window manager GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Desktop Windows Manager eating GPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Windows Manager eating GPU: I don't know the exact format I'm supposed to put my specs in, but i hope this works Dell Precision 5530 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i7-8850H CPU @ 2.6GHz 2.59 GHz Installed memory RAM: 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor GPU 0:...
  9. Desktop Window Manager High GPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU: For some reason, my dwm.exe is using alot of my GPU, which takes affect on GPU demanding games. Iv tried looking for solutions but all dont work so if anyone has a solution or recommends me something, let me know submitted by /u/Silv3rSk [link] [comments]...
  10. Task manager - GPU issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Task manager - GPU issue: The GPU column in the task manager is showing abrupt information, like sometime it shows the correct value of the gpu usage of each process but sometimes it does not show anything. There is a noticeable duration till this problem is noticed so it cannot be ignored. I also...