Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager random GPU spikes

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager random GPU spikes in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This problem just started yesterday. Every 5-8 minutes, Desktop Window Manager will spike from 1-2% GPU usage all the way up to 50-70%, maxing my GPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/funkyhippoofficial, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Desktop Window Manager random GPU spikes

This problem just started yesterday. Every 5-8 minutes, Desktop Window Manager will spike from 1-2% GPU usage all the way up to 50-70%, maxing my GPU out and causing lag spikes. This only occurs when I'm playing Genshin Impact, although I'm sure it will happen with any GPU intensive app.
    Here are my system specs:

System Model: XPS 15 9575

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3096 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL (Intel integrated graphics)

I did not make any major downloads/updates, this problem seemingly appeared out of nowhere. I've reinstalled the graphics drivers with DDU, checked for malware with MalwareBytes, rolled back the latest Windows Update (from October), used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to change some settings, changed all battery settings to high performance, cleaned my fan and vents, and still no fixes. I am considering installing a fresh Windows update but would prefer to save that as a last resort.

Any thoughts/solutions?

submitted by /u/funkyhippoofficial
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/funkyhippoofficial, Nov 11, 2020

2. Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on any kind of tech-support forum. Usually, 99% of the time i find a solution online, reading other threads, etc - but not for this issue.

As the title clearly states, I am experiencing high (really high) GPU spikes from desktop window manager & client server runtime - by really high I mean 90-100% GPU.

Some background info:

My device> Dell XPS 15, 9570, i7-8750H 6 cores, Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GTX 1050 Max-Q, 512GB SSD - bought 4 months ago.

My OS> Windows 10 Home, version 1809

I didn't have this issue until I upgraded to the 1809 version for that sweet dark mode, so there's that.

What causes the issue: simply opening anything (for example Chrome, file explorer, any game) will cause a GPU spike in those 2 departments, which freezes the laptop for a solid 10-15 seconds and then they go back to 0-5% usage.

What I did trying to fix the issue:

- troubleshoot the classic way, no issues found.

- reset & delete every file on the PC.

- delete my user profile, using another one.

- update my drivers, BIOS, etc.

- and a few more that I found on other threads.

So, what am I supposed to do?

marin_stana, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Desktop Window Manager random GPU spikes

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager random GPU spikes

1. Desktop Window Manager random GPU spikes - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Desktop Window Manager GPU spike when alt-tabbed - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager GPU spike when alt-tabbed - Windows 11: I got a new laptop Lenovo Legion pro 7i 13900HX + RTX 4080 a couple weeks ago and have been battling issues ever since. The most prominent and insufferable is periodic screen freezing for 3-5 seconds. I noticed that this most commonly occurred when I alt-tabbed or...
  3. Desktop Window Manager GPU spike when alt-tabbed - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager GPU spike when alt-tabbed - Windows 11: I got a new laptop Lenovo Legion pro 7i 13900HX + RTX 4080 a couple weeks ago and have been battling issues ever since. The most prominent and insufferable is periodic screen freezing for 3-5 seconds. I noticed that this most commonly occurred when I alt-tabbed or...
  4. Desktop Window Manager DWM.exe constantly spiking to 100% GPU usage on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager DWM.exe constantly spiking to 100% GPU usage on windows 11: My desktop is using 100% of my RTX 3090 constantly, as you can see on the screenshots that I attached to this post.I am running a fully up to date version of windows 11 which I have just reset as a first step to troubleshoot this issue. Seems to me that my hardware should...
  5. Desktop Window Manager DWM.exe constantly spiking to 100% GPU usage on windows 11

Desktop Window Manager DWM.exe constantly spiking to 100% GPU usage on windows 11: My desktop is using 100% of my RTX 3090 constantly, as you can see on the screenshots that I attached to this post.I am running a fully up to date version of windows 11 which I have just reset as a first step to troubleshoot this issue. Seems to me that my hardware should...
  6. Task Manager - GPU Temperature Spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager - GPU Temperature Spikes: Hi, every time I log into windows. My GPU all the sudden heats up. Like the highest I seen it reach was 110c which was insane. I literally planned on buying a new gpu cooler due to the excessive temps. However, I noticed that when I open Task Manager, the gpu temp suddenly...
  7. Task Manager - GPU Temperature Spikes

Task Manager - GPU Temperature Spikes: Hi, every time I log into windows. My GPU all the sudden heats up. Like the highest I seen it reach was 110c which was insane. I literally planned on buying a new gpu cooler due to the excessive temps. However, I noticed that when I open Task Manager, the gpu temp suddenly...
  8. Task Manager - GPU Temperature Spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Random GPU usage spikes from ntoskrnl.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random GPU usage spikes from ntoskrnl.exe: Hello everyone. When using my laptop for a long amount of time, it has suddenly become common for my GPU to have usage spikes. Upon closer inspection, these spikes come from the process "System" / "ntoskrnl.exe". Does anyone know a way to fix this? I have an Acer Nitro 5....
  10. Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager & Client Server Runtime HIGH Random GPU Spikes!: Hello everyone, This is my first post on any kind of tech-support forum. Usually, 99% of the time i find a solution online, reading other threads, etc - but not for this issue. As the title clearly states, I am experiencing high (really high) GPU spikes from desktop window...