Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows has been consistently crashing while playing Hunt Showdown. Every time this occurs Reliability Monitor has shown "Desktop Window Manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TroyF, Apr 12, 2021.

1. TroyF Win User

Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash

Windows has been consistently crashing while playing Hunt Showdown. Every time this occurs Reliability Monitor has shown "Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working"

Today I reset windows downloaded from the cloud including removing all personal files. This was suggested by Microsoft support however it didn't resolve the issue.

Among other solutions were attempting to use the Media Creation Tool.

Running sfc /scannow which resulted in
    [COLOR=rgba255, 255, 255, 1]"Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867]c 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."[/COLOR]

Microsoft support has been zero help so far and I want this resolved

Here is my latest Reliability History. It has only happened once since I reset the computer this morning.

Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash 799f1999-0d1d-40de-8249-0ec75ed1896e?upload=true.png

I'm not sure why the warning for system updates has happened as windows was just installed

here is the current build for my pc https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BYc3QD

I have also seen that going to Services.msc and restarting "Desktop Window Manager" could fix the solution however Desktop Window Manager is not in present in the list of services.

I'm not sure how to proceed with fixing this. Any help is appreciated.

:)

TroyF, Apr 12, 2021
  2. zplugger Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Apr 12, 2021
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop windows manager stopped working: hi, i have an issuefor this past week while i play a game, a few minutes into the game my monitor would go black but i could still hear the sound and the pc is irresponsive. the fan gets loud and i have to force shut down my pc. i check the reliability history and it would...
  3. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    desktop windows manager stopped working: hi, i have an issuefor this past week while i play a game, a few minutes into the game my monitor would go black but i could still hear the sound and the pc is irresponsive. the fan gets loud and i have to force shut down my pc. i check the reliability history and it would...
  4. Destop Window Manager Stopped working Black Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Destop Window Manager Stopped working Black Screen: I recently received home PC build and after getting it shipped back to my address, I started having issues like the one discussed in this thread: Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crashIt hasn't been an isolated incident, which are what all the...
  5. Destop Window Manager Stopped working Black Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Destop Window Manager Stopped working Black Screen: I recently received home PC build and after getting it shipped back to my address, I started having issues like the one discussed in this thread: Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crashIt hasn't been an isolated incident, which are what all the...
  6. Destop Window Manager Stopped working Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Desktop Window Manager Stopped working. crash code c0000005

Desktop Window Manager Stopped working. crash code c0000005: Hi! my name is Vikas and ive been having trouble with my PC for a few days.When id play minecraft after a good 15 minutes the screen would loose video and my fans would go 100% and i went to view all problem reports and had a hilarious 155 Desktop Window Manager crashes but...
  8. Desktop Window Manager Stopped working.

Desktop Window Manager Stopped working.: When i was playing one of my game minecraft all of the sudden my video would stop and my fans would rev up and id be forced to hard restart my PC.When i checked reliability history i found loads of critical events saying Desktop Window Manager Stopped working with these...
  9. Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working

Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working: 3 or 4 times a day, or at least when I'm working on my Lenovo Edge 2-1580, the screen will blink off and back on. According to the Reliability Monitor the Desktop Window Manager stops working when this occurs. Usually happens 2 times in a row. The issue had been occurring, so...
  10. Desktop Windows Manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Windows Manager stopped working: What is this & what does it do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-windows-manager-stopped-working/a8aba03a-b98f-4100-b417-972b5861a2eb