Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Windows 10 version: 2004 Three months ago, I began noticing Desktop Window Manager using high amounts of RAM. I would usually see the process using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by allam447635, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM

My Windows 10 version: 2004 Three months ago, I began noticing Desktop Window Manager using high amounts of RAM. I would usually see the process using between 3000 and 5000 MB, but one time saw it using over 7000MB (I have 12 GB of RAM). For a while, I was unable to determine the cause of the issue. Recently, however, I realized that it seems to occur when I leave the computer running idle for extended periods of time. Not all the RAM that DWM uses is consumed while idle; rather, I come back to see DWM using hundreds of megabytes and then slowly but surely increase to more ridiculous amounts later. I heard that this may be related to an Intel driver update that was released around the time the issue started, but I'm not overly sure. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

allam447635, Jun 29, 2021

2. Windows 10 1903 - Large Amounts of Hardware Reserved RAM

Hi all,

Are there any documented cases of the Windows 10 1903 build allocating large amounts of hardware reserved RAM?

I have an 8GB HP Envy x360, but it says that 2.1GB RAM is hardware reserved.

Having spoken with HP and tried to troubleshoot using msconfig and checking the BIOS, they have advised me that it is a Windows issue.

Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM 5e4cc07e-4d46-47e9-8172-43a253ec0790?upload=true.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Alfie

Alfie Payne, Jun 29, 2021
  3. CJHook Win User
    Desktop Window Manager: extremely high RAM usage

After a recent Windows 10 update (presumably the anniversary update) I have noticed that Desktop Window Manager will start to use an extremely high amount of RAM while running applications that previously I had no issue with.

The situation I am experiencing this is when I am playing a game (Football Manager 2016) on one monitor while streaming video via Chrome or IE on a second monitor. Previously, I have done this with no issue, and could have the PC in this state for hours
    on end with no problem.

However, since the update I have been getting the following error message after Football Manager 2016 for a while:

Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM c5424e91-10ab-493d-837e-c2aa5c91fe4d.jpg

It seems that it may be Desktop Window Manager that is hogging excessive amounts of memory. For example:

Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM 510e6080-db6d-4ca3-9b7b-711a2ad04fd3.jpg

Is there a known issue with Desktop Window Manager? I have contacted the developers of Football Manager 2016 in the first instance and they suggested this looks like a memory leak in Desktop Window Manager.

CJHook, Jun 29, 2021
  4. Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM

Is there a way to make Windows 10 only use RAM and disregard Paging like before?

Hello,

Windows can run without a page file if you have a large amount of RAM, there’s no performance benefit. However, disabling the page file can result in some device trouble. If programs start to use up all your available memory, they’ll start crashing instead
    of being swapped out of the RAM into your page file. This can also cause issues when running software that requires a large amount of memory, such as virtual machines. Some programs may not run. Here's the step on how to manage page file:

• Click Start, type Advanced System Settings into the Start menu and press Enter to open it.
    • Click the Settings button under performance.
    • Click over to the Advanced tab and click the Change button in the Virtual memory section.

Note: Windows automatically manages your page file settings by default. You should leave these settings and let Windows decide for you.

Looking forward to the result.

Regards.

Marvin Barc, Jun 29, 2021
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM

1. Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Large amount of ram being used nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Large amount of ram being used nothing: Ok so i feel like this question has been answered a billion times, but no matter what forum or video I look i can't find the answer for me. Even when I am not running any games or anything, the amount of ram that is being used seems to be way more than all of the processes...
  3. Large amount of ram being used nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large amount of ram being used nothing: Ok so i feel like this question has been answered a billion times, but no matter what forum or video I look i can't find the answer for me. Even when I am not running any games or anything, the amount of ram that is being used seems to be way more than all of the processes...
  4. Large amount of ram being used my nothing

Large amount of ram being used my nothing: Ok so i feel like this question has been answered a billion times, but no matter what forum or video I look i can't find the answer for me. Even when I am not running any games or anything, the amount of ram that is being used seems to be way more than all of the processes...
  5. Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?: I was noticing some lag so I went to the task manager and I saw that Desktop window manager was taking up at like 30% of my GPU for some reason with nothing running. Then when I open a browser and attempt to use it, My GPU percentage hits 100% immediately. I'm not sure whats...
  6. Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?

Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?: I was noticing some lag so I went to the task manager and I saw that Desktop window manager was taking up at like 30% of my GPU for some reason with nothing running. Then when I open a browser and attempt to use it, My GPU percentage hits 100% immediately. I'm not sure whats...
  7. Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Managing a large amount of pcs using online microsoft accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Managing a large amount of pcs using online microsoft accounts: Greetings everyone, my company provides technical support and deployment of windows pcs to around a dozen different institutions.We like being to manage and track these pcs by using an online Microsoft account because this allows us to sign in to a page where we can manage...
  9. Desktop Window Manager using lots of ram

Desktop Window Manager using lots of ram: This has happened for a month or so. Desktop Window Manager keeps using lots of ram, but it happens every 2-3 weeks. I've tried some solutions, but only restarting or re-installing intel graphic drivers keeps it from using so much ram. Is it my NVIDIA or Intel driver? I think...
  10. Desktop Window Manager Using Huge Amount of Memory

Desktop Window Manager Using Huge Amount of Memory: Windows Desktop Manager is currently using 1244.8 MB of memory according to Task Manager. I don't know when this started, but it's a relatively new problem. I disabled some items in the Advanced System Settings in Control Panel\System and Security\System, but doing so did not...