Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I noticed today DWM was using a lot of gpu, I never saw it doing that before. I've already tried updating drivers, changing graphics settings etc., it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sneering Imperialist, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?

I noticed today DWM was using a lot of gpu, I never saw it doing that before. I've already tried updating drivers, changing graphics settings etc., it does this first thing after reboot once desktop is visible.I am not using an Intel cpu so that most of the other "its an intel bug" threads rendered useless as its solved by downloading an intel APU driver, I thought it was malware but Norton, Windows Defender and Malwarebytse turned up nothingGPU is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, my CPU is AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, and 32GB of RAMI will also note that GPU utilization is all on 3D, and 1-2% bit on vid

:)

Sneering Imperialist, Nov 1, 2022
  2. Msaia Win User

Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU

Hello, I have just recently downloaded the latest update for windows 11, and after installing it I went to look at my task manager and noticed that my GPU utiliation was at 100%. I checked to see if it was just a bug with task manager however it was not as hwinfo also showed my 3D GPU usage spiking from 0-100% every second. I then went back to the previous version of windows 11 and this also did not fix the issue, Desktop window manager was still using 100% GPU. I then scanned my PC for malware both with windows defender and third party software; there was no malware found and now I do not know what to do. I also re-installed the latest drivers for my GPU. Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Merigo

Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why? 32ba76ed-d21b-4420-8b4d-c2d20e0bbae3?upload=true.png

Msaia, Nov 1, 2022
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 1, 2022
  4. Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 1, 2022
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?

1. Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why? - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager

2. Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?: I noticed today DWM was using a lot of gpu, I never saw it doing that before. I've already tried updating drivers, changing graphics settings etc., it does this first thing after reboot once desktop is visible.I am not using an Intel cpu so that most of the other "its an...
  3. Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager using up to 100% gpu, why?: I noticed today DWM was using a lot of gpu, I never saw it doing that before. I've already tried updating drivers, changing graphics settings etc., it does this first thing after reboot once desktop is visible.I am not using an Intel cpu so that most of the other "its an...
  4. Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU: Hello, I have just recently downloaded the latest update for windows 11, and after installing it I went to look at my task manager and noticed that my GPU utiliation was at 100%. I checked to see if it was just a bug with task manager however it was not as hwinfo also showed...
  5. Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager using 100% of GPU: Hello, I have just recently downloaded the latest update for windows 11, and after installing it I went to look at my task manager and noticed that my GPU utiliation was at 100%. I checked to see if it was just a bug with task manager however it was not as hwinfo also showed...
  6. Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU: Some have suggested redownloading Windows to fix this issue. HUGE WASTE OF TIMEI recommend downloading GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 517.48 September 27, 2022, until either Microsoft or Nvidia fixes the issue. The issue is the new Nvidia Driver Version 552.25 Release date:...
  7. Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager 100% GPU: Some have suggested redownloading Windows to fix this issue. HUGE WASTE OF TIMEI recommend downloading GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 517.48 September 27, 2022, until either Microsoft or Nvidia fixes the issue. The issue is the new Nvidia Driver Version 552.25 Release date:...
  8. "Desktop Windows Manager" using 80-100% of GPU in Windows 10

"Desktop Windows Manager" using 80-100% of GPU in Windows 10: This seems to be a somewhat common occurrence with threads being updated for years with no real answer, so I figured it's time to make one for 2020. "Desktop Windows Manager" is using so much GPU when playing games, and if playing a game and on an any kind of web browser, the...
  9. Desktop Window Manager using nearly 100% GPU

Desktop Window Manager using nearly 100% GPU: I'm using: Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme CPU: Intel core i9-10980XE GPU: Nvidia Titan RTX Memory: HyperX HX432C16PB3K4/64 64GB OS: Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview Evaluation Copy Build 20175.rs_prerelease .200717 - 1349 After installing 20175.100 Build...
  10. Desktop Window Manager high GPU (up to 100%) usage when moving around the desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Window Manager high GPU (up to 100%) usage when moving around the desktop: When I move through desktops or move a window around, dwm.exe will use all of my integrated gpu horsepower and will stutter. I have found many other users with the same issues as me however no fixes are known. Any ideas? submitted by /u/ewsclass66 [link] [comments]...