Windows 10: Desktop Window Manager's Using High Memory

Discus and support Desktop Window Manager's Using High Memory in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there folks,Desktop window manager seems to be using high memory. And when I say high, I mean high. Once I saw that it was using around 6 GB of Ram.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MücahitEryılmaz, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Desktop Window Manager's Using High Memory

Hi there folks,Desktop window manager seems to be using high memory. And when I say high, I mean high. Once I saw that it was using around 6 GB of Ram. Yes, ''6 GB''. Tried couple of fixes I found on the web, but none of them worked. Would be glad If you help me.Thanks a lot.

:)

MücahitEryılmaz, Sep 17, 2021
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Sep 17, 2021
  3. Desktop Windows Manager High Memory Usage

Hi Jay,

This high memory usage could have happened due to multiple application running. If Windows 10 has features that are not working properly, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool to scan
    and correct any issues. System File Checker (SFC) is a built-in tool in the operating system. SFC checks for system file corruption. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a command-line tool that can be used to service a Windows image or to prepare
    a Windows Preinstallation Environment image.

Kindly follow the steps in this article posted by
    ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)
    to perform SFC and DISM:
    System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anthony Gal, Sep 17, 2021
  4. Geethu B Win User

Desktop Window Manager's Using High Memory

Desktop Window Manager high memory usage

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• What all troubleshooting steps did you tried to fix this issue?

• Did you make any recent hardware or software changes which might have caused this issue?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Conflict between third party applications.

2. Memory issues.

Please try the following steps if you have not tried them before. Check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press the Windows key on the
    keyboard

b) Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press
    enter.

c) Select Troubleshooting. Click on view all and select
    System

Maintenance

d) Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to refer the article to boot to safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the
    provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Sep 17, 2021
Thema:

Desktop Window Manager's Using High Memory

1. Desktop Window Manager's Using High Memory - Similar Threads - Desktop Window Manager's

2. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  3. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  4. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  5. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  6. Desktop Window Manager high memory usage

Desktop Window Manager high memory usage: My Desktop Window Manager is normal upon boot but some time after I open up games it goes and stays up high. This is one example:It's not as bad as yesterday where my memory went up to 90% and it really never goes down even after closing my game. Sometimes it has caused my...
  7. Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage

Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage: Memory usage of Desktop Window Manager increases over time, irrespective of the task. It consumes memory as high as 7GB.I have tried a lot of solutions nothing works. It would be great if someone could provide a working solution for that.Thanks...
  8. Desktop window manager high memory use

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop window manager high memory use: I saw that my memory was 77% so I looked and it says that desktop windows manager is taking up almost 3 gb why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-high-memory-use/c241a7fe-54e5-4177-9997-d12e138a1791
  9. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.

Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.: Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe us using high memory sometimes it uses 1.5GB RAM. I have looked for many solutions but not worked for me. I have used these methods to fix memory usage. i have updated my graphics driver i have updated windows and windows apps i have closed...
  10. Desktop Windows Manager DWM 5GB - High Memory Use

Desktop Windows Manager DWM 5GB - High Memory Use: Windows and its problems - literally never ending. Windows 10 is fully updated. Graphics driver is fully updated. DWM service memory usage keeps going up even after killing it and this time around it has peaked. I don't think there is any solution as DWM is part of...