Windows 10: Desktop Windows 10 PC shuts off DVI display after I turn off the HDMI display.

Discus and support Desktop Windows 10 PC shuts off DVI display after I turn off the HDMI display. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have recently retired my old studio desktop pc and have started using it as a media pc. It is setup with a DVI computer monitor and HDMI TV display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by audiorobot, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Desktop Windows 10 PC shuts off DVI display after I turn off the HDMI display.

I have recently retired my old studio desktop pc and have started using it as a media pc. It is setup with a DVI computer monitor and HDMI TV display attached. When I shut down the HDMI TV display it shuts off the DVI display as well. Also the computer will no longer start up using the DVI display only the HDMI, TV, display has to be switched on.

I am using a 10 year old AMD radeon video card, but I have never had the issue while I was using the computer as a studio machine, I had 3 monitors running previously and I could shut each off without effecting the other. The computer is running Windows 10s home edition and all drivers appear to be up to date.

Any ideas?

:)

audiorobot, Jun 21, 2019
  2. Oskar H. Win User

DVI (digital) does display boot-up screens, but doesn't display in windows.

One day I started my pc and everything worked fine. After approximately 1 hour the DVI-D signal to my Benq monitor stopped. I turned on my TV that's connect with a HDMI and I saw everything except the DVI signal was working fine.

I restarted my pc and if I remember correctly the DVI-D signal came back normally and I ignored the problem.

The day later I started the pc and the Benq monitor did display boot-up screens but lost signal in windows. Again the TV with HDMI worked fine.

System specifications:
    - Main GPU: Gainward Phantom Geforce GTX 970
    - Backup GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7750
    (never used at the same time)

- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3

- motherboard: Gigabyte G1.sniper B5

- RAM: ballistix (4 times 4GB) DDR3 BX Sport

- SSD: Crucial 6Gb/s M500 120GB

- HDD: 1TB SATA Western Digital

Things I tried with Nvidia main card:

• Uninstall Nvidia Graphic driver with DDU (in safe mode)

Result: DVI-D signal at boot up screens but not in windows
    • Empty all disks and reinstall windows 10

Result: DVI-D signal in 480p with basic Microsoft display driver in windows
    • After new windows install, automatic install of the NVidia driver version 353.54

Result: DVI-D signal in 1080p in windows
    • Upgraded driver from 353.54 to NVidia version 359.06 then to 373.70

Result: Both versions worked 1080p in windows. The last upgrade (version 373.70) displayed for a short time (less then a minute) in windows then suddenly the DVI digital signal stopped working. The TV with HDMI still worked in 1080p.
    • Repeating the installation of the drivers above didn't get the DVI signal to work in windows again.
    • Upgrade the driver 353.54 to 372.90 not with device manager and removed the HDMI cable from the Graphics card while installing the NVidia driver

Result: DVI signal in 1080p in windows. after installation I reconnected the HDMI and both screens worked in 1080p. After a restart with both cables connected the DVI did not display in windows.
    • Restart with only the DVI connected

Result: DVI signal in 1080p in windows, after startup I connected the HDMI and both screens worked in 1080p

Things I tried with AMD backup card

• Reinstalled windows and getting latested AMD drivers

result: DVI digital signal in 1080p
    • Next day startup

result: DVI does display boot-up screens, but doesn't display in windows.

Most important is that I didn't get any better then having the DVI signal in windows for a short time or until the next restart.

Note: Every time I uninstalled or reinstalled a driver I followed all steps the installer was giving me. For example I restarted the pc when I may did not describe this in the "thing I tried" section.

I think the problem is in windows because sometimes the DVI randomly works again.

I hope you can help me because I feel I tried everything.

Kind regards,

Oskar H., Jun 21, 2019
  3. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Desktop Windows 10 PC shuts off DVI display after I turn off the HDMI display.

Lumia Display Dock and HDMI to VGA adapter

just to understand some constraints:

• HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI
    • DP outputs from most PCs have an HDMI compatibility mode that allows for:
      • DP-to-HDMI passive adapters [passive means it just uses wiring (no ICs) between the connectors]
      • DP-to-DVI passive adapters
    • In contrast, the USB Type-C output on the Lumia 950XL/950 phone and the DP output on the Display Dock do not have HDMI compatibility mode. To drive HDMI, DVI (or VGA), they require active adapters incorporating bridge ICs. The tipoff is usually that such
      an adapter costs $20-$40 instead of ~$10 for a passive adapter. There’s no good way to tell active versus passive other than by part # and spec.

Jesse Vaught, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Windows 10 PC shuts off DVI display after I turn off the HDMI display.

1. Desktop Windows 10 PC shuts off DVI display after I turn off the HDMI display. - Similar Threads - Desktop shuts off

2. PC turns on and off repeatedly but No display

in Windows 10 News
    PC turns on and off repeatedly but No display: [IMG]If your Windows PC turns on and off repeatedly but shows no display, the solutions provided in this article will help you. Such types of issues usually occur due to hardware faults. The fault may also be with the power supply. What does it mean when my PC turns on and...
  3. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    display not turning off: i am downloading some large files and want the PC to remain on but not the display i did these settings in my power options but the display does not seem to turn off can anyone tell a fix thank you...
  4. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display not turning off: i am downloading some large files and want the PC to remain on but not the display i did these settings in my power options but the display does not seem to turn off can anyone tell a fix thank you...
  5. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. PC turns on, display and keyboard/mouse shut off after logging in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC turns on, display and keyboard/mouse shut off after logging in.: I've had a bad PC issue for weeks. I was just playing a game on my PC Xcom 2 and my entire PC shut itself off. Problem is that when I turned it back on, the PC powered on, all the fans were spinning, the lights were on, but nothing...
  7. Go straight to Desktop after Display turns off

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Go straight to Desktop after Display turns off: I've had a search but can't find what I'm after. I have my laptop set to turn off the screen after 10 mins. I don't have a Microsoft account which I have to sign into on each start. On my previous 8.1 laptop after the screen had turned off, I could move my mouse and it...
  8. turn off display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    turn off display: Hi, I have a screen and a tv plugged in my GC. When the TV is off, I would like the corresponding display to be turned off si my mouse don't get lost on a second screen that is not turned on. Normally I would go in the display setting page and turn it off from the...
  9. Display turns off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display turns off: My display always turns off after 5 minutes of whatever game I played. My screen shows that it is sleeping, but I can't turn it on, forcing me to restart. I have set my monitor and computer to sleep after 2 hours. Is my computer over-heating, or can I fix this in my...
  10. Switching from Display Port to HDMI Shuts Off Display Port

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Switching from Display Port to HDMI Shuts Off Display Port: I'm using a Dell U3415W monitor. My video card is AMD Radeon RX480. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort to my computer. The monitor is connected via HDMI to my work laptop. When I want to switch over to HDMI, it acts as if I shut off the monitor on the Displayport...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer shuts down with dvi

2. windows 10 hdmi shuts off when plugging in vga

3. hdmi port shuts down monitor windows 10

4. dvi windows 10 monitor turns off