Windows 10: Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage

Discus and support Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; New Acer Aspire TC-895 only 3 weeks old. I have noticed ever since my Windows 10 Home upgraded to Version 20H2, OS build 19042.804, I have had issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Authorman, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Authorman Win User

Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage

New Acer Aspire TC-895 only 3 weeks old. I have noticed ever since my Windows 10 Home upgraded to Version 20H2, OS build 19042.804, I have had issues with Desktop Windows Manager DWM using excessive memory.

After a restart the amount of memory used by DWM continues to grow. At one point, with only one browser session open, the amount of memory used by DWM was 2,685.3 MB. This pushed my total memory usage beyond 90%. Closing all apps does not reduce the amount of memory used. Only a restart brings the amount back to 42MB-50MB, which then begins increasing again.

I have changed my Desktop Background setting from Slideshow to Picture and I have tried other "supposed" fixes I have seen. So far, nothing has eliminated this issue.

Surely, there must be some reasonable fix for this issue.

:)

Authorman, Mar 4, 2021

2. Memory usage is excessively high while no programs are open

Here are screenshots of the task manager and performance monitor:

Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage [​IMG]

Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage [​IMG]

I am also receiving memory warnings now.

Windows 10 User, Mar 4, 2021
  3. axe0 Win User
    Memory usage is excessively high while no programs are open

Could you make screenshots of the memory usages in 2 ways:
    • task manager, processes, filtered on 'memory' (click on the tab to filter)
    • task manager, performance, memory
    and post them

What we see now from your screenshot doesn't provide an answer what is taking the amount of memory, because you didn't filter any usage.

axe0, Mar 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

dalchina, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Desktop Windows Manager - Excessive memory usage - Similar Threads - Desktop Manager Excessive

2. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  3. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  4. Excessive memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  5. Excessive memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  6. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  7. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  8. Desktop Window Manager high memory usage

Desktop Window Manager high memory usage: My Desktop Window Manager is normal upon boot but some time after I open up games it goes and stays up high. This is one example:It's not as bad as yesterday where my memory went up to 90% and it really never goes down even after closing my game. Sometimes it has caused my...
  9. Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage

Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage: Memory usage of Desktop Window Manager increases over time, irrespective of the task. It consumes memory as high as 7GB.I have tried a lot of solutions nothing works. It would be great if someone could provide a working solution for that.Thanks...
  10. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.

Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.: Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe us using high memory sometimes it uses 1.5GB RAM. I have looked for many solutions but not worked for me. I have used these methods to fix memory usage. i have updated my graphics driver i have updated windows and windows apps i have closed...