Windows 10: Desktop Windows Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television

Discus and support Desktop Windows Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 - ver. 1809 ASUS ROG Strix Scar II - model "GL704GW-DS76" NVIDIA GeForce - RTX 2070 8GB 32 Gigs of RAM Vizio 4K UDH TV - model D58u-D3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by agon024, Jul 10, 2019.

1. agon024 Win User

Desktop Windows Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television

• Windows 10 - ver. 1809
    • ASUS ROG Strix Scar II - model "GL704GW-DS76"
    • NVIDIA GeForce - RTX 2070 8GB
    • 32 Gigs of RAM
    • Vizio 4K UDH TV - model D58u-D3

Brand new computer and when I connect the it to my Vizio TV the GPU(around 49%) and CPU(13.5%) spike and the power usage spikes to "very high" when I move the mouse. It is even worse when I am playing a game which reeks absolute havoc on my FPS.

After doing some elimination steps here is what I found. It only happens when the HDMI cable is plugged in to the computer and the other end is connected to an external monitor source. Once I unplug the HDMI from the computer it stops spiking. If I leave the HDMI plugged into computer and disconnect it from the external monitor it stops spiking.

So basically as it sits Windows 10 will not allow me to connect a large monitor and play games...

Is this normal? My guess is it's not so how can I fix this?

I have tried ever trick in the book aside from a reinstall (disk cleanup, clean boot, etc).

So again it only happens when an external monitor is connected via HDMI.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Kevin

:)

agon024, Jul 10, 2019
  2. ROBERT530 Win User

how do i get 4k uhd hdr to work in windows 10 ver 1803 windows will not recognize 4k uhd hdr 2160p monitors or 4k uhd hdr nvidia geforce gpu

how do i get 4k uhd hdr to work in windows 10 ver 1803 windows will not recognize 4k uhd hdr 2160p monitors or 4k uhd hdr nvidia geforce gpu

according to the internet windows 10 is suppose to feature uhd hdr in 4k.. windows has never been able to project a desktop display equal to 4k uhd

i have all these COOL TOYS but have NO IDEA how to WORK it ??..

i have a 82" samsung 4k uhd hdr 2160P TV as a computer monitor/ tv / gaming in 4k.. cannot get windows 10 pro ver 1803 to play view gaming movies

stream in 4k. i can watch 4k music videos 4k movies in hdr . i seem to be very UN knowledgeable about how to get all these COOL TOYS to work

like being able to project 4k uhd hdr on a windows desktop. any GEEKS who want to share insider knowledge on how to do this.

samsung 82" samsung 4k uhd hdr 2160P TV

intel I7-7820X

GIGABYTE X299 UD4 REV 1.0 BIOS F4

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1080TI 8GB

CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER ZX

CORSAIR VENGENANCE 32GB RGB 2133 DDR4

WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 7200RPM

WESTERN DIGITAL 4TB

WESTERN DIGITAL 8TB

WESTERN DIGITAL 8TB

WESTERN DIGITAL 8TB

ROBERT530, Jul 10, 2019
  3. Task Manager High CPU Usage

I have the same problem myself with it only happens when I scroll through task manager and open and close it. I don't know this for sure but the reason this probably happens is that you may have a lot of processes running and task manager is using a lot
    of the CPU to process the usage of each program.

What I have done is disable data that I don't need to see like network usage and GPU usage and it drops the CPU usage a bit. I have also enabled everything and scrolled up and down on it and task manager uses almost twice as much.

I would suggest disabling everything but CPU, disk, and RAM, (I would not suggest having GPU on because it is almost always at 99% unless you have FPS limits).

Niogenesis, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Desktop Windows Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Windows Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television

1. Desktop Windows Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television - Similar Threads - Desktop Manager High

2. Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage: Desktop Window Manager from 0 to 100+% load.I did: Full reinstall WindowsBios updateDriver delete and updateSafe modeCPU: i5 12400fGPU: RTX 3060 12GBI have this problem on laptop and pc....
  3. Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager HIGH GPU usage: Desktop Window Manager from 0 to 100+% load.I did: Full reinstall WindowsBios updateDriver delete and updateSafe modeCPU: i5 12400fGPU: RTX 3060 12GBI have this problem on laptop and pc....
  4. Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage: I upgraded to Windows 11 from a fresh install of Windows 10. When trying to play Assassins Creed Valhalla, the Desktop Window Manager sometimes reaches 70% GPU usage, and tops out my GPU at 100%. I have upgraded all of my drivers, including the intel graphics drivers and the...
  5. Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU usage: I upgraded to Windows 11 from a fresh install of Windows 10. When trying to play Assassins Creed Valhalla, the Desktop Window Manager sometimes reaches 70% GPU usage, and tops out my GPU at 100%. I have upgraded all of my drivers, including the intel graphics drivers and the...
  6. High GPU usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High GPU usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe: Hey guys,Normally this process Desktop Window Manager only occupies up to 1% of GPU 0 integrated GPU, but once I open a video or any game, no matter how many windows I'm opening, the occupation of DWM will suddenly jump to 60%, which slows down my laptop quite a lot. In game...
  7. Extremely high gpu and cpu usage from system and windows desktop manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Extremely high gpu and cpu usage from system and windows desktop manager: Occasionally when I am playing video games I notice that my frames are dropping quite low. when I check task manager it says that windows desktop manager and system are taking up huge amounts of CPU and GPU usage. Any reason why this could be and any way to fix this? Could...
  8. Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists: Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue: Example 1 Example 2...
  9. Windows desktop manager high GPU usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows desktop manager high GPU usage: I have seen lots of people asking this question, but nothing helped me to get rid of the problem, i bought a notebook few weeks ago i7 gtx 1550 Ti , and all my games were running fluently on medium-high settings. Now smth changed, im constantly getting lag spikes, fps...
  10. Desktop Window Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager - High GPU, Power and CPU usage when connected to a 4K UHD Television: Windows 10 - ver. 1809 ASUS ROG Strix Scar II - model "GL704GW-DS76" NVIDIA GeForce - RTX 2070 8GB 32 Gigs of RAM Vizio 4K UDH TV - model D58u-D3 Brand new computer and when I connect the it to my Vizio TV the GPU(around 49%) and CPU(13.5%) spike and the power usage spikes...