Windows 10: Desktop Windows Manager is taking too much Memory

Discus and support Desktop Windows Manager is taking too much Memory in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Desktop Windows Manager is using up to 4GBs of RAM! I have 16 GBs of RAM in my system, so I don't observe much of a performance difference under normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Harshit Tomar, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Desktop Windows Manager is taking too much Memory

Desktop Windows Manager is using up to 4GBs of RAM! I have 16 GBs of RAM in my system, so I don't observe much of a performance difference under normal conditions but the fans go haywire and that's what's bothering me. I do not know when this first happened, but I'm sure this problem isn't older than 3-4 days. Just after a restart, it uses about 30MBs of RAM and remains so, but at some point I could not pinpoint exactly when this happens, I find that Desktop Windows Manager uses more than 1GBs of RAM, 4GBs at times. This problem persists even after closing all programs and only gets normal after restarting. No specific program seems to trigger it. Firefox was open every time this problem occurred, however just after restart, Desktop Windows Manager uses just about 40MBs, even with Firefox open and remains so for atleast 20min of usage. I also used Adobe XD, Visual Studio Code, Zoom and Edge during this period sometimes simultaneously, but as I said, the Desktop Windows Manager hoggs 4 GBs of RAM even when I close all the programs. I did not install ANY new program. The only thing that changed 3-4 days ago was an automatic windows update that come all the time. Please suggest a fix

:)

Harshit Tomar, Dec 8, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

BSOD- memory management

Upon checking the dump file, the issue is being caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Ntoskrnl.exe is the one responsible for memory management that is why you're having the Memory Management error. We suggest that you follow the steps found in the link that we provided
    in our last reply to resolve the issue. Please take note that if you're overclocking your processor or video card, kindly reset their settings to default.

Let us know the outcome after performing the provided steps.

Argel Obm, Dec 8, 2020
  3. Memory management

Hi Daniel,

Missing/outdated driver and error with your PC memory (RAM) are some of the factors that may cause the blue screen due to Memory Management error. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • What are other troubleshooting steps have your performed to resolve your concern?

While checking for the dump file that you've sent, we suggest that you run a full scan on your device using the
    SFC and DISM command to automatically fix any corrupted files that my possibly trigger the error. The steps can be found on this

Wiki Article
    created by community MVP ZigZag3143. Once you're done, check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Desktop Windows Manager is taking too much Memory

Windows 10 upgrade memory management error

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will certainly help you with this issue. 

I suggest you to run Memory Diagnostic tool and check if it helps.

Memory Diagnostic tool is used to detect the possible memory problems.

Follow the below steps:

• Type Memory Diagnostic in the search area in the task bar and select
      Windows Memory Diagnostic.

• Select Restart now and check for problem.
    If issue persist, I suggest you to refer to the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you

JuzarAli1709, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Windows Manager is taking too much Memory

1. Desktop Windows Manager is taking too much Memory - Similar Threads - Desktop Manager taking

2. Task Manager Taking Too Much CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Taking Too Much CPU: Hello There, Has Anyone Else Ever Had An Issue With Task Manager?My CPU Keeps Ramping Up To 30-50% From Just Opening Task Manager, This Only Just Started A Few Hours Ago So I'm Not Sure If It's Something That'll Fix Itself.I've Already Tried A Clean Reboot And It Didn't Work...
  3. Task Manager Taking Too Much CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager Taking Too Much CPU: Hello There, Has Anyone Else Ever Had An Issue With Task Manager?My CPU Keeps Ramping Up To 30-50% From Just Opening Task Manager, This Only Just Started A Few Hours Ago So I'm Not Sure If It's Something That'll Fix Itself.I've Already Tried A Clean Reboot And It Didn't Work...
  4. Desktop Window Manager using too much RAM Memory.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop Window Manager using too much RAM Memory.: I have 8Gb of ram in my laptop and for the past few days, Desktop Window Manager has been using more than 500mbs of RAM. I have the latest versions of the display adapters installed and the problem persists. Please help me out and let me know what to do....
  5. Desktop Window Manager taking up too much memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager taking up too much memory: Hi,When I open task manager, I see that Desktop Window Manager DWM.exe takes up more than 1.6 GB of memory.I've searched the internet and tried everything I could find, but nothing was a permanent fix.Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem?...
  6. winloading taking too much memory

winloading taking too much memory: Recently my computer has a program running called winloading in the task manager taking 1000-2000 mb memory, it causes my computer to work slowly, antivirus said that winloading.exe was a trojan-coin-miner, so what am I supposed to do?...
  7. desktop window manager taking too much RAM #2

desktop window manager taking too much RAM #2: my desktop windows manager is taking 1gb+[ATTACH] of RAM and its going up and up. cpu: intel i5 8250u 1.6ghz gpu: intel uhd graphics 620 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-too-much-ram-2/f8850078-d902-4353-a2d3-2c8950435165
  8. desktop window manager taking too much RAM

desktop window manager taking too much RAM: my dwm is taking 2 gb of my ram and it keeps going up gpu: intel uhd 620 graphics cpu: intel i5 8250u 1.6ghz [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-too-much-ram/fe41382c-5ed3-4f58-8274-6b1b020330e0
  9. Desktop Window Manager Taking up too much RAM

Desktop Window Manager Taking up too much RAM: Every time I check task manager Desktop Window Manager us using up 20% of my memory I have 8gb How do I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-up-too-much-ram/8b397e1f-29fd-4ac0-952c-a85697afa022
  10. Desktop Window Manager taking up too much memory, please help!

Desktop Window Manager taking up too much memory, please help!: Hello, I am using an HP laptop with minimal resources and lately, I have noticed that when only having chrome and discord open the system starts to lag like crazy and when I checked task manager I see the dwm is taking up almost 1.7gb of ram 900mb with only chrome opened. i...