Windows 10: Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power

Discus and support Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed that recently my laptop hasnt been running as well lately, so i checked in task manager and Destop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) is taking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/spychicken123, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power

I noticed that recently my laptop hasnt been running as well lately, so i checked in task manager and Destop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) is taking anywhere from 5-40% of my gpu power, and I have a 1660 Ti! Is there any way to limit to only integrated graphics? I tried to use nvidia control panel, but it doesnt even give the gpu as an option to use for dwm.exe, so why its using like half of it is beyond me.

submitted by /u/spychicken123
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/spychicken123, Aug 31, 2020

2. Desktop Windows Manager taking up high gpu

Desktop windows manager is taking up around 10%-80% of my gpu. This can be INCREDIBLY annoying when playing games, because it can lag to like 20 fps, or start freezing. I can't figure out the solution after clicking on almost every site google suggests.
    I tried changing the theme, which didn't work.

John Thomas Lamb, Aug 31, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Desktop Window Manager(DWM.exe) using high GPU

Hi Hasnat,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community Forums.

In Windows, desktop composition is performed by Desktop Windows Manager. The way applications display pixels on the screen, it is managed by DWM. When desktop composition is enabled, individual windows no longer draw directly to the screen or primary
    display device as they did in previous versions of Windows. Instead, their drawing is redirected to off-screen surfaces in video memory, which are then rendered into a desktop image and presented on the display.

The GPU (NVidia) usage of 35-40% by games is absolutely normal, however at the same time Desktop Windows Manager is using the high percentage of Intel GPU, which isn’t normal and it might be the cause of the low FPS.

I suggest to refer to the suggestions given by Reymichael Ros, dated March 2, 2018 on

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

If the above step doesn’t work, you may try setting the NVidia card to maximum performance and disable Intel graphics adapter to see if it works.

• Right click on desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the context menu.
    • Now on the left hand pane expand 3D settings.
    • Click on Manage 3D settings.
    • Under Preferred graphics processor, select
      High-performance NVidia processor.
    • Click on Apply.

Before disabling the Intel graphics adapter, I would recommend to create a system restore point. Please refer to the article:
    Create a system restore point.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Disable.
    • Click on OK.
    • Reboot the computer and check the frame rate.
    In case disabling Intel graphics adapter does not work, I would suggest to uninstall the Intel graphics drivers completely and install the latest drivers from the Intel support site.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    • In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Now right click on the Intel Graphics drivers and click on
      Uninstall.
    • Check the checkbox to delete the drivers from the computer and reboot the computer.
    • Download and install latest drivers from

Downloads for Intel HD Graphics 630

If none of the above methods works, I would encourage you to provide your feedback and suggestions using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app, so that the Windows developer team has direct access to it.

Send feedback to Microsoft with Feedback Hub

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Aug 31, 2020
  4. Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power

Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) load GPU too much.

Hi Artur,

In order to help you with the issue about the Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe), kindly refer to the troubleshooting suggestions posted by Julie Ram dated January 16, 2018. Click the link below to access her posted troubleshooting steps which have been helpful
    to several Community members. This may also be the solution that you are looking for to resolve the issue at hand.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power

1. Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power - Similar Threads - Desktop Manager taking

2. Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?: I was noticing some lag so I went to the task manager and I saw that Desktop window manager was taking up at like 30% of my GPU for some reason with nothing running. Then when I open a browser and attempt to use it, My GPU percentage hits 100% immediately. I'm not sure whats...
  3. Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?: I was noticing some lag so I went to the task manager and I saw that Desktop window manager was taking up at like 30% of my GPU for some reason with nothing running. Then when I open a browser and attempt to use it, My GPU percentage hits 100% immediately. I'm not sure whats...
  4. Why are Desktop Window Manager and browsers taking up large amounts of GPU?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. URGENT DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER TAKING UP ALL OF GPU USAGE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URGENT DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER TAKING UP ALL OF GPU USAGE: I just found out today that desktop window manager dwm.exe has been taking up all my gpu. It will go down to 20% then spike back to 90% and spike to 100% before going back down, it will do this every second so my gpu always gets taken up. Please help me...
  6. URGENT DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER TAKING UP ALL OF GPU USAGE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URGENT DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER TAKING UP ALL OF GPU USAGE: I just found out today that desktop window manager dwm.exe has been taking up all my gpu. It will go down to 20% then spike back to 90% and spike to 100% before going back down, it will do this every second so my gpu always gets taken up. Please help me...
  7. URGENT DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER TAKING UP ALL OF GPU USAGE

8. Desktop Window Manager using massive amount of my GPU Processing

Desktop Window Manager using massive amount of my GPU Processing: Hey everyone. I've been having issues with my GPU processing % as I stream to twitch and have been getting frame loss. When researching the issue it tends to be a GPU being maxed out when you get frame loss. I've noticed that this windows program Desktop Window manager has...
  9. Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive: Ahoy! And good day to you. My overall Windows folder takes 80.8 Go of space on my hard drive, a ludicrous amount (I have a 256 Go SSD as primary drive C:) According to TreeSize(Free): - Windows Installer folder takes 37.5 Go of space - CSC folder takes 23 Go of space,...
  10. Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources

Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) taking up high GPU resources: Ever since 10/10, the Windows service "Desktop Window Manager" or DWM.exe has been taking up a lot of GPU processing. It can go as high as 12% or more during normal use, but the real problem is that it jumps as high as 50% usage during a game, severely reducing my...