Windows 10: Desktop wiped twice after Windows update

Discus and support Desktop wiped twice after Windows update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Updated Windows and my desktop was wiped, obviously a common thing for some reason. I ended up finding my files in C:/Users/(User Name)/Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ehcsro, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Ehcsro Win User

Desktop wiped twice after Windows update

Hi,

Updated Windows and my desktop was wiped, obviously a common thing for some reason.

I ended up finding my files in C:/Users/(User Name)/Desktop

This was good and I went on my way. But it needed to update again on shutdown so it did. Then to my surprise the next day my desktop was wiped again, this time, no sign of anything anywhere. I have followed guides on how to locate but nothing. I tried going back to previous version of windows. But all that did was removemy windows.old folder.

Im quite pissed off that this happpened twice. Please tell me theres a way to get my stuff back.

:)

Ehcsro, Oct 6, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 6, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Desktop wiped twice after Windows update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 6, 2019
  4. Desktop wiped twice after Windows update

fllckering desktop

Hi Yvonne,

To resolve your issue with flickering desktop, we suggest that you update your display drivers with the steps listed below:

• Right-click Start, then select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters to find the name of your device.
    • Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow steps to update display drivers.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

Desktop wiped twice after Windows update

1. Desktop wiped twice after Windows update - Similar Threads - Desktop wiped twice

2. WINDOWS UPDATE AND WIPE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS UPDATE AND WIPE?: This is incredbly frustrating!! My samsung laptop keeps self updating and then wiping the WHOLE system clean, all work files gone1 i can no longer use the stylus pen or open any apps !!!!why does it keep doing this ???i posponed updates and it still keeps doing this?!?!?!...
  3. Laptops Wiping After Updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptops Wiping After Updates: There seems to be an issue where randomly when our employees have a windows update, after the update finishes, their profile seems to be deleted and recreated. Everything is synced to dropbox so there is no loss of files.There is no temporary profile. We're on a domain and...
  4. Desktop Wiped Clean

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop Wiped Clean: Hello, Can anyone help? Whilst downloading an anti-virus software programme – my desktopwas wiped clear all my files are gone. I have included a screenshot [ATTACH] What happened? Much appreciation...
  5. Computer wiped after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer wiped after update: Hello My computer had an update last night and so over night it updated. I turned it on this morning and it said it couldn't load my user. I restarted the computer and while I logged in fine, all of my files have been wiped. I have no documents, pictures, downloads or any...
  6. New update of Windows wiped everything on my desktop

New update of Windows wiped everything on my desktop: Good day! I didn't know that my laptop had a major update like an overhaul of the system. After the update, it wiped out all the desktop icons and files that I have. Is there any way to recover it? Thanks for your help!...
  7. Laptop wiped after windows 10 update

Laptop wiped after windows 10 update: How do I restore windows to my laptop from a usb stick? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-wiped-after-windows-10-update/49322ce5-6e5c-400f-8a22-10f35d1e6c28
  8. Hard drive wipe after updates

Hard drive wipe after updates: Good evening, It seems that all of my files and settings are continuously wiped after all updates. In multiple instances, I have checked the "Windows.old" folder, but its most recent files date back to July of last year. I am running Windows 10 with Kali Linux as a virtual...
  9. Desktop hard drive wiped after most recent windows update

Desktop hard drive wiped after most recent windows update: Hi All, After the recent mid December 2018 windows update, upon restart I found my hard drive to be completely wiped, nothing left, no operating system. This is a 2016 HP desktop running an i7 with a 512 SSD drive. Any thoughts?...
  10. Automatic update wipes desktop

Automatic update wipes desktop: The recent automatic Windows update (November 2018) has wiped my desktop. I just got a box saying something about a corrupted file. What can I do to get it back?...