Windows 10: Desktop won't activate after re-image, error 0xC004F034

Discus and support Desktop won't activate after re-image, error 0xC004F034 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Last night I restored my desktop from a backup image I made in Macrium Reflect Free about a week ago. After the restore operation I couldn't change any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MattMcD488, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Desktop won't activate after re-image, error 0xC004F034

Last night I restored my desktop from a backup image I made in Macrium Reflect Free about a week ago. After the restore operation I couldn't change any of my personalization options because it said windows wan't activated. I went to the activation settings and it said:
    I ran the troubleshooter and selected "I changed hardware on this device recently." and the following menu only listed my laptop, not my desktop.

I then ran ProduKey on my laptop and sure enough, it says Windows 10 Pro was using my desktop's product key instead of the OEM key from the BIOS. Apparently it did this after I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on both computers about a month ago and logged in using my MS account. I tried changing the product key on my laptop back to it's OEM key, but even after doing that it still won't let me re-activate my desktop using it's old product key. I'm at a loss here....

The key for my homebuilt desktop was given to me by calling MS support after changing my motherboard around a year and a half ago. The laptop is an OEM HP that came with Windows 8.1 Pro and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. Both are running the latest version of the Creator's Update.

Thanks in advance for help.

:)

MattMcD488, Aug 3, 2017

2. Error code: 0xC004F034

I bought HP desktop 280G1 four months back and after learning that I can get the free upgrade to Windows 10, I installed the new OS .. thought the machine is running perfectly fine but the activation of License key is not happening getting the Error code:
    0xC004F034, Can someone help on how to activate ?

Best

GS

GhanshyamSingh, Aug 3, 2017
  3. GEK
    GEK Win User
    Store, Cortana, Microsoft Account, and Edge not connecting to internet, but all other applications do

Since upgrading to windows 10, any windows service that involves connecting to a Microsoft server won't work. Windows will not activate.(getting Error code: 0xC004F034) Edge will not connect to the internet. Anyone one else having this issue?

4. NorfolkIT Win User

Desktop won't activate after re-image, error 0xC004F034

Best thing to do is make a note of both keys, then once you know what key you need to use, use the slmgr tool from Microsoft to install and activate the product key of your choice.

if you are unfamiliar with this setup you can use a batch file to do it for you.

copy and paste the following code into notepad and save the file as slmgr.bat and run the application as an Administrator then simply following the instructions to install the key and then activate windows and see if that works.

if you need any further assistance please let me know and I will help you with further suggestions.

SLMGR Batch File Instructions,

Uninstall current product key Op 4
    Install Key you want to use Op 6
    Activate Key Op 9

should this fail use op 1 then do the above

failing this Microsoft may be able to help you with another key or shed some light on how to get you activated.

Hope this helps

NorfolkIT, Aug 3, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    That's the infamous "we can't contact the activation server" error code. Usually means a mismatch of the PC's digital licence to that stored at MS or in this case it seems they lost it (?) as it's no longer attached to your MSA (which by definition means the activation wizard fails...)

I'm not sure which type of key MS gave you for the Desktop.. if it was the generic and merely manually activated their side, they will have to do that again... please post the PID and last 5 characters of the key.

As far as the laptop is concerned - it should activate with the Win 8 Pro key online through the change product key interface (do not use Slmgr for that) and re-establish a new DL.

Superfly, Aug 3, 2017
  6. I tried the Change Product Key interface in Settings a couple times on the laptop but ProduKey still says it's installed with the same key (the one from the desktop). The laptop's PID is 00330-80000-00000-AA011.

As for the desktop, the PID is showing as 00330-8000-00000-AA775 and the last 5 digits of the product key are 3V66T.

As of right now both computers are still showing the same key which is attached to my MSA.

MattMcD488, Aug 3, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    Yes, the 3V66T key is a generic key for Windows 10 Pro - it's not for activation, but merely an edition/version indicator.

The Win 8 key will get digital activation and use the generic key as a placeholder - it won't show as the installed key. All our DL's have the key you have as the installed key.

As your desktop has no upgrade key to activate with, you will have to contact MS support to get your DL sorted as the key they provided can only be given a DL when activated by them - not sure how they do that their side.

I assume your laptop is also not activated - what error do you get when entering the Win 8 key in the "change" box on that PC?

Superfly, Aug 3, 2017
  8. Desktop won't activate after re-image, error 0xC004F034

The laptop is still activated. When I put the OEM key it did say it was activated. I didn't know the other key stayed as a placeholder. I'll have to give MS a call and get my desktop straightened out. Thanks for your help.

MattMcD488, Aug 3, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    OK... no prob. .. *Wink

Please let us know what happens with the MS support call...

If they give you a new key make sure to take it down for future use....assuming it's not the generic.

I was under the impression they were giving away specific keys but it seems they are just activating remotely with the generic key?

Superfly, Aug 3, 2017
  10. UPDATE: I contacted MS support. They told me that I needed to buy a new product key since I don't have my old key from Windows 7 handy anymore.

MattMcD488, Aug 4, 2017
  11. Superfly Win User
    Bummer!... they should have just put you back to the original digital licence... if you want we can resurrect your Win 7 OEM activation and upgrade from there.. I will need the OEM info to create the activation files..an ADT report will have that info if completed by the OEM ...

Superfly, Aug 5, 2017
  12. That actually won't be necessary. As a last-ditch effort I went on a hunt for my old Win7 Pro DVD and I was able to find it. Tucked inside the case was the paper where I wrote the key that MS gave to me after my motherboard died. It turns out it wasn't that generic key that ProduKey showed me. I typed it in and it activated on the first try. I feel super embarrassed now... *Redface I guess I did learn a couple of important lessons: ProduKey won't work to recover a lost Windows 10 key and MS activation servers won't always remember it for you. Thanks so much for all of your help

MattMcD488, Aug 5, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Not quite true. Keyfinders will only return generic key if you upgraded from 7/8. If you installed 10 direct using a 10 key, they will return correct key.

Also superfly's showkeyplus will return original 7/8 key from an upgrade so long as you have not clean installed or reset pc since initial upgrade.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop won't activate after re-image, error 0xC004F034 - Similar Threads - Desktop won't activate

2. Activation error 0xC004F034

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation error 0xC004F034: I am trying to transfer my windows key to my new pc. Both new and old pc's are custom built. Windows has been installed on the new pc but it is not activated. Running slmgr /dlv in the cmd prompt shows license status as "Notification" and under that it reads "Notification...
  3. Activation error 0xC004F034

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation error 0xC004F034: I am trying to transfer my windows key to my new pc. Both new and old pc's are custom built. Windows has been installed on the new pc but it is not activated. Running slmgr /dlv in the cmd prompt shows license status as "Notification" and under that it reads "Notification...
  4. Activation error 0xC004F034

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows won't re-activate after a hardware change

Windows won't re-activate after a hardware change: I recently had to put my hard drive in another computer for maintenance purposes, and when I put my hard drive back in the original laptop, windows is deactivated. I used command prompt to find my original product key and tried entering it in, and it gave me the opportunity...
  6. Activation failure after Windows 10 downgrade: Error code 0xC004F034

Activation failure after Windows 10 downgrade: Error code 0xC004F034: Hi everybody. I recently loaded a previous image of Windows 10 onto my laptop (v1709). It's the version I used to activate Windows 10. I later upgraded to the current v1903. I "downgraded" back to the previous version for testing purposes - the Windows Spotlight feature seems...
  7. Activation Troubleshooting Not Fixing Error 0xC004F034

Activation Troubleshooting Not Fixing Error 0xC004F034: I keep getting activation error 0xC004F034. [ATTACH][ATTACH] After using the troubleshooter, it says it found a Windows 10 Home digital license for this device, and I select "Upgrade your edition of Windows" and it restarts my computer. I've done this 5 times. But I keep...
  8. Windows 10 suddenly deactivated with error code 0xC004F034

Windows 10 suddenly deactivated with error code 0xC004F034: My Windows has been deactivated following the Microsoft issue. It's has not been addressed yet. Anyone else with this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-suddenly-deactivated-with-error-code/9a8378d8-d125-4677-afa3-faf8050c40e0"
  9. windows 10 Activation fail Error 0xC004F034

windows 10 Activation fail Error 0xC004F034: Recently as of last week I reinstalled windows 10 Home on a asus laptop to the current 1703 version. When I installed it after it was done I checked activation and all was good. Though today its saying to activate. When running activate it gives the error 0xC004F034....
  10. Activation error 0xC004F034

Activation error 0xC004F034: Hi guys i'm new here, I also have upgraded my laptop from windows 7 home premium to windows 10 but can't activate it... I get Error 0xC004F034. *Sad Tried really everything nothing seems to work. Today i deleted the windows.old folder has it something to do with that ? I...
Tags: