Windows 10: Desktop Won't Start After WinX Update

Discus and support Desktop Won't Start After WinX Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is normally a very competent system that my wife uses for e-mail, etc. It's been running WinX for a couple of years. Occasionally, a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmrathbun, Dec 15, 2018.

1. jmrathbun Win User

Desktop Won't Start After WinX Update

This is normally a very competent system that my wife uses for e-mail, etc. It's been running WinX for a couple of years. Occasionally, a Windows update will cause it to malfunction. It was running well yesterday morning, then a massive Windows update tried to install and it locked up. When I tried to restart, it would get to the Desktop and then go into some sort of endless loop that blocked access to any applications or Windows functions. I couldn't even get the Task Manager to come up! Waiting an hour or more didn't help.

I got out a bootable WinX CD and booted from that. The only thing I was able to access was the Command Prompt, but I wanted some help before trying to use that in this situation. Last I programmed in DOS was more than a decade ago! Specifically, the following options each consumed time and then announced that the requested task could not be completed (reason not given):
    • Reset and Keep Files
    • System Restore
    • Startup Repair
    • Previous Build
    • Reset and Lose Files

All data files are backed up as far as I know, and I had antivirus protection enabled from Webroot. If necessary, I'm willing to format the drive and start over. Better ideas would be welcome!

System specs follow:

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.8 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Sound Card: Creative SB XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

RAM: 6128 MB

Hard Drive(s): Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/DVD Drive(s): ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI

Operating System: Windows 10

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 6/30/2010

Direct X: 11

:)

jmrathbun, Dec 15, 2018

2. Lumia 830 main camera won`t start

After windows 10 update my lumia 830 camera won`t start . It says Camera won`t start . I tried other camera apps but camera still not work . Front camera working plz help me . I did hard reset , soft reset , downgraded to 8.1 but problem still persist

CahangirTahirov, Dec 15, 2018
  3. tabuf Win User
    N97 Bluetooth disappeared, won´t start again

Today without any reason the Bluetooth disappeared, and it won´t start anymore from the connections menu. Any clue where to start looking. Software V20, and no new update available.

tabuf, Dec 15, 2018
  4. Desktop Won't Start After WinX Update

Windows 10 won´t start any program as Administrator

Hello. I´m having this issue since installed one of the latest Windows 10 system updates.

When I try to open any program that requires Administrator confirmation (that screen with the Yes/No question), this dialog won´t appear anymore. The screen background stays darkened and nothing happens.

1. Using Windows 10 Home (x64)
    2. My microsoft user account is properly checked
    3. I´m the administrator of the PC
    4. Already tried do create another administrator user account - same problem, no success
    5. Cannot start any program/service that requires administrator authorization (not even regedit)
    Please help!

Fabiano Lehmkuhl, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

Desktop Won't Start After WinX Update

1. Desktop Won't Start After WinX Update - Similar Threads - Desktop Won't Start

2. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't start after an update: Hello,After the latest update, my computer became unusable.This screen image below suddenly appears, sorry for the French language that I cannot change, but basically I can choose between:"Reboot tool" --> fails to solve anything "Terminal" --> does not help much"Uninstall...
  3. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't start after an update: Hello,After the latest update, my computer became unusable.This screen image below suddenly appears, sorry for the French language that I cannot change, but basically I can choose between:"Reboot tool" --> fails to solve anything "Terminal" --> does not help much"Uninstall...
  4. Windows won't start after an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. WINX folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINX folders: After the latest update from Microsoft, ALL the WINX folders all users have been deleted. Where are they now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winx-folders/afb5d058-4680-4cd8-ad7c-b823e84ac233
  6. Windows won't start after upgrade: "Desktop unavailable

Windows won't start after upgrade: "Desktop unavailable: I have an MSI laptop on which Windows 10 will not start after a recent upgrade. On startup I see the MSI Welcome screen with the circling white dots below the word Welcome, then the Windows Welcome screen superimposed over the severely blurred photo comes up with the...
  7. PC won't start after update

PC won't start after update: Hi My PC did an automatic update yesterday and now I can't get it to start. I keep getting the message "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" Log file C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\SrtSrtTrail.txt I have tried a few of the advanced options - Startup repair, Uninstall...
  8. WinX's Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    WinX's Shortcuts: WinX is 1 of your best friends in Win10. Ironic includes Run & accesses items without Run, anymore. Anyway, WinX has K/B shortcuts, you don't even need to bother opening your 'good friend'; know the shortcuts, instead . WinX+the underlined letters Above the red dots & voila...
  9. WinX menu duplicates

in Windows 10 Customization
    WinX menu duplicates: After recovering my computer, the WinX menu is displaying duplicates of most items: task manager, powershell, run, etc... Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks, in advance!...
  10. Laptop won't start after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop won't start after update: My HP Spectre 13 laptop won't complete a startup. It has the update of Windows 10 pro (from 8.1), a solid state drive (SSD), and classic shell. The computer started earlier today and I got a message that I could restart it to effect updates -- so I did. That restart seemed...