Windows 10: Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

Discus and support Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My processor works fine up to 100% when plugged in and the fan whirrs away happily. But when I unplug the laptop the processor utilisation cuts down to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AndrewBaxter7, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

My processor works fine up to 100% when plugged in and the fan whirrs away happily. But when I unplug the laptop the processor utilisation cuts down to 15% and stays there until plugged in again, with the fan ceasing to run entirely. The above image shows the results of plugging/unplugging at several intervals across one minute. The unplugged periods flatline at 15% despite same processes running in background. I have every power setting maxed out yet it seems to be bypassing this somehow.Is there any way to detect whether something else is interfering with the processor power management? I ca

:)

AndrewBaxter7, Mar 30, 2023

2. CPU limiting

Minimum processor state: 5%

Maximum processor state: 100%

System cooling policy: Active

All values equal for both plugged in and on battery.

Carlos Nuno Silva, Mar 30, 2023
  3. Try3 Win User
  4. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

CPU Minimum Processor State useful on a desktop?

Are it and maximum processor state useful on a desktop, or is it just for laptops? Lower and Maximum are both set to 100% for me.
    I read that if I lower the minimum, my cpu doesn't reach the max overclock level.

Siegfriedm, Mar 30, 2023
Thema:

Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

1. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU... - Similar Threads - Despite having 'Active'

2. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...: My processor works fine up to 100% when plugged in and the fan whirrs away happily. But when I unplug the laptop the processor utilisation cuts down to 15% and stays there until plugged in again, with the fan ceasing to run entirely. The above image shows the results of...
  3. Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Despite having 'Active' cooling policy with 'Minimum/Maximum processor states' at 100% CPU...: My processor works fine up to 100% when plugged in and the fan whirrs away happily. But when I unplug the laptop the processor utilisation cuts down to 15% and stays there until plugged in again, with the fan ceasing to run entirely. The above image shows the results of...
  4. Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...: SPECS: Win 10 (obv) i7 10700F 16GB 3000mhz 1660 Super So I used to set my processor states to prevent overheating, as my processor runs at 4.6 ghz, and only a few games can get it beyond what I like in terms of temp (80c+ or 176f+), as it generally rests around 80c/174f...
  5. Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings: I tried the command prompt fix, downloading the registry file and running it and both didn't work to bring back those 2 options.I am running on Windows 10 20H2 version. Pls help asap...
  6. Minimum processor state / Noise

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Minimum processor state / Noise: Hey! My pc was making a strange scratching noise, low and not all the time but still very noticeable. With the case open I tried to find the source but I couldnt, it was somewhere near the cpu area though. I re-installed the cpu-fan and everything but nothing changed. PC was...
  7. Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active

in Windows 10 News
    Change System Cooling Policy for Processor – Passive or Active: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Be it Desktop or Laptop, it’s important to conserve power. One of the ways it can be done is using the System Cooling Policy. Since Desktops are always plugged in, it becomes even necessary to save power when you are [...] This post Change System Cooling...
  8. Maximum processor state?

in Windows 10 Support
    Maximum processor state?: Hi all, I'm not a techie so please bear with me. I just purchased a new laptop. HP with Windows 10 OS. AMD A6-9220 Dual-Core processor and 4 gig of ram. After it's initial setup and removing all the bloatware/crapware, most of the apps and disabling everything in the...
  9. Minimum processor state on batt. switching to 100% by itself.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Minimum processor state on batt. switching to 100% by itself.: No idea what is causing this, but it switches by itself to 100% on balanced plan. I'll set it to 5%, and it will stay there for a couple of minutes, but after that it is again at 100%. It happens only to "on battery" setting, "plugged in" stays at 5%. I'm running ASUS...
  10. CPU Minimum Processor State useful on a desktop?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU Minimum Processor State useful on a desktop?: Are it and maximum processor state useful on a desktop, or is it just for laptops? Lower and Maximum are both set to 100% for me. I read that if I lower the minimum, my cpu doesn't reach the max overclock level. 42787